[Sdpg] [HD-L] Please Forward -Urban Permaculture Design Course in LA 2003

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri Aug 1 08:07:23 PDT 2003

Urban Permaculture Design Course:
EcoUrbanism and the Future of Sustainability
ReThink, ReDesign, ReFresh our Cities Again!

EcoLiteracy * Natural Building * The Home Ecosystem * Green Business * Deep
Ecology * Practicing Democracy * EcoVillage Design & More...
Creating abundant, locally self-sustaining human settlements is the aim of
Permaculture.  This does not mean, however, that we must abandon our cities
and move to the country.  Instead, we must work to transform our cities
from within. It is through making our cities sustainable that we preserve
our wilderness.

Permaculture is the art and science that applies patterns found in nature
to the design and construction of human and natural environments... The
Permaculture Design Course has truly transformed the lives and enhanced the
careers of thousands of people around the world.

Join us in an exciting process of renewing and remaking our cities!

CHECK IT OUT:
http://www.earthflow.com/PDCourseLA2003/index.shtml

Dates: 6 weekends

Part One... August 9-10  &  August 16-17
"Fire, Water, Earth & Air... New Ecology and Sacred Geometry":

Introduction to Permaculture and Natural Pattern Understanding

The first Part will cover an in-depth introduction to Permaculture Design &
Ethics of Earth Care with a special presentation on reading the patterns of
the landscape. A simple foundation for understanding indicators of
sustainability and other patterns of the natural world.

Part Two... August 30-31  &  September 6-7
"Food, Water, Shelter...Earth-Friendly Techniques & Technologies":

Sustainable Resource Management, Building the Home Ecosystem.

The second Part will focus on: techniques for designing & building a
complete home ecosystem, restorative agriculture and natural building, as
well as learning ancient technologies for earth stewardship and land
restoration.

Part Three... September 20-21  &  September 27-28
Creating Community...Self-Reliance, Eco-Village and Eco-Economics:

EcoVillage Design and Community Celebration

The final session will feature: community building & "creating a sense of
place," patterns of human dynamics, intentional communities & eco-villages.
We will also learn strategies for creating community-wide sustainability
and methods for finding our own right-livelihoods.

Six Weekend Intensive Features:

An All-Star Cast of Characters...
http://www.earthflow.com/courses2003/courseinstructors.shtml
With the finest gatherings of veteran Permaculture Teachers and
Internationally Acclaimed Educators and Leaders in the Worldwide
Sustainability Movement!

Teaching Team is led by Larry Santoyo with very special guests... More
teachers and guest lecturers are still being added and confirmed!

Beautiful Locations...
http://www.earthflow.com/PDCourseLA2003/courselocation.shtml
Our venues take us in and around Los Angeles... Through Beverly Hills and
the trails of the Santa Monica Mountains... to the beaches of Malibu...
Back to the city for an inspiring and eye opening visit with South
Central's "Seed Lady of Watts"... to the premier ecovillage-the
L.A.Ecovillage... then out to discover eco-living, suburban style!.. Back
to the city to explore the huge warehouses, of several city blocks,
converted into an entire Artist Village...

Culinary Delights...
Lunch will be provided.  Omnivorous Cuisine with Vegetarian Options will be
prepared by various Culinary-Craftspersons... -Solar Oven demonstration...

Field Trips...
Visit: Backyard Food-Forests, Nature Hike, Organic Farm, Farmers Market,
Community Gardens, The Lyle Center for Regenerative Studies, The L.A.
Ecovillage and more...

Hands-On Learning...
Drafting and Design Exercises, Observation Skills, Market Gardening
Techniques, Natural Building Techniques, Sustainable Landscape
Construction, Art in the Garden & More...

New and Expanded Curriculum...
http://www.earthflow.com/PDCourseSL2003/index.shtml#schedule
Natural Building with Cob, Straw, Earthbags and Bamboo, Alternative Fuels,
Human Dynamics, Deep Ecology, Eco-Urbanism, MicroVillage Development,
Practicing Democracy & More...

Community Celebration...
"Green Goods & Good Greens" Course participants will host an Eco-Trade
Show, Crafts & Culinary Fair... and on into night with the infamous Talent
Show and Party...

Make New Friends - Learn New Stuff!
Enrich your Life & Enhance your Career...

Meet Students and Teachers from all around the Country.  Join Professionals
and Lay People as we not only Celebrate but BECOME the Future of
Sustainability!..

You Can Register For All or Part...
http://www.earthflow.com/courses/payment.shtml
Discounts for Design Course Graduates...

Group Discounts, Payment Plans, Trades and Work-Trades still available...

See: http://www.earthflow.com/courses2003/index.shtml
Contact: info at earthflow.com
Call: 805.528.3763 (9-5 Pacific Time)

-------------------------------------
In cooperation with:
Gaim/Real Goods Design Group, TreePeople, Eric Lloyd Wright and Associates,
The Terra Foundation, LA EcoVillage, HopeDance Media, Builders without
Borders, The Permaculture Institute, The Permaculture Institute of Northern
California, EarthFlow Design Works, City of Azusa, Earth Day L.A., Eco-Home
Network, Ecology Center of Southern California, Ecovillage Network of the
Americas, Friends of the L.A. River, Global Green, L.A. City Councilman
Eric Garcetti, L.A. Community College District Trustee Nancy Pearlman,
LAUSD School Board Member David Tokofsky, Permaculture Institute of
Southern California, Santa Monica College Center for Environmental and
Urban Studies, Southern California Council on Environment and Development,
Watts Family Gardens, Wetlands Action Network, Wright Way Organic Resource
Center, Cornucopia, Claremont Forum, Theory Lab...