[Sdpg] Permaculture Series in L.A.

San Diego Permaculture Center sdecc at igc.org
Sun Aug 3 21:13:32 PDT 2003

Urban Permaculture Design Course:
EcoUrbanism and the Future of Sustainability

ReThink, ReDesign, ReFresh our Cities Again!

EcoLiteracy * Natural Building * The Home Ecosystem * Green Business
* Deep Ecology * Practicing Democracy * EcoVillage Design & More...

Creating abundant, locally self-sustaining human settlements is the
aim of Permaculture.  This does not mean, however, that we must
abandon our cities and move to the country.  Instead, we must work to
transform our cities from within. It is through making our cities
sustainable that we preserve our wilderness.

Permaculture is the art and science that applies patterns found in
nature to the design and construction of human and natural
environments... The Permaculture Design Course has truly transformed
the lives and enhanced the careers of thousands of people around the
world.

Join us in an exciting process of renewing and remaking our cities!

CHECK IT OUT:
http://www.earthflow.com/PDCourseLA2003/index.shtml

Dates: 6 weekends

Part One... August 9-10  &  August 16-17

"Fire, Water, Earth & Air... New Ecology and Sacred Geometry":
Introduction to Permaculture and Natural Pattern Understanding

The first Part will cover an in-depth introduction to Permaculture
Design & Ethics of Earth Care with a special presentation on reading
the patterns of the landscape. A simple foundation for understanding
indicators of sustainability and other patterns of the natural world.

Part Two... August 30-31  &  September 6-7

"Food, Water, Shelter...Earth-Friendly Techniques & Technologies":
Sustainable Resource Management, Building the Home Ecosystem.

The second Part will focus on: techniques for designing & building a
complete home ecosystem, restorative agriculture and natural
building, as well as learning ancient technologies for earth
stewardship and land restoration.

Part Three... September 20-21  &  September 27-28

Creating Community...Self-Reliance, Eco-Village and Eco-Economics:
EcoVillage Design and Community Celebration

The final session will feature: community building & "creating a
sense of place," patterns of human dynamics, intentional communities
& eco-villages. We will also learn strategies for creating
community-wide sustainability and methods for finding our own
right-livelihoods.

Six Weekend Intensive Features:

An All-Star Cast of Characters...
http://www.earthflow.com/courses2003/courseinstructors.shtml

Join the finest gatherings of veteran Permaculture Teachers and
Internationally Acclaimed Educators and Leaders in the Worldwide
Sustainability Movement!

Teaching Team is led by Larry Santoyo, Director, The Center of
Natural Design with very special guests including: Jude Hobbs,
Agro-Ecology Northwest, Lois Arkin, L.A. Ecovillage and Anna Marie
"the Seed Lady of Watts" Carter, Watts Family Gardens... More
teachers and guest lecturers are still being added and confirmed!

Beautiful Locations...
http://www.earthflow.com/PDCourseLA2003/courselocation.shtml

Our venues take us in and around Los Angeles... Through Beverly Hills
and the trails of the Santa Monica Mountains... to the beaches of
Malibu... Back to the city for an inspiring and eye opening visit
with South Central's "Seed Lady of Watts"... to the premier
ecovillage-the L.A.Ecovillage... then out to discover eco-living,
suburban style!.. Back to the city to explore the huge warehouses, of
several city blocks, converted into an entire Artist Village...

Culinary Delights...
Lunch will be provided.  Omnivorous Cuisine with Vegetarian Options
will be prepared by various Culinary-Craftspersons... -and a Solar
Oven demonstration...

Field Trips...
Visit: Backyard Food-Forests, Nature Hike, Organic Farm, Farmers
Market, Community Gardens, The Lyle Center for Regenerative Studies,
The L.A. Ecovillage and more...

Hands-On Learning...
Drafting and Design Exercises, Observation Skills, Market Gardening
Techniques, Natural Building Techniques, Sustainable Landscape
Construction, Art in the Garden & More...

New and Expanded Curriculum...
http://www.earthflow.com/PDCourseSL2003/index.shtml#schedule

Natural Building with Cob, Straw, Earthbags and Bamboo, Alternative
Fuels, Human Dynamics, Deep Ecology, Eco-Urbanism, MicroVillage
Development, Practicing Democracy & More...

Community Celebration...
"Green Goods & Good Greens" Course participants will host an
Eco-Trade Show, Crafts & Culinary Fair... and on into night with the
infamous Talent Show and Party...

Make New Friends - Learn New Stuff!
Enrich your Life & Enhance your Career...
Meet Students and Teachers from all around the Country.  Join
Professionals and Lay People as we not only Celebrate but BECOME the
Future of Sustainability!..

You Can Register For All or Part...
http://www.earthflow.com/courses/payment.shtml

$1200.00 for all 6 weekend sessions
includes tuition, certification, lunches (additional materials fee may apply)

$225.00 per weekend

$125.00 per day

Discounts for Permaculture Design Course Graduates...
Group Discounts, Payment Plans, Trades and Work-Trades still available...
email for details.

See: http://www.earthflow.com/courses2003/index.shtml
Contact: info at earthflow.com
Call: 805.528.3763 (9-5 Pacific Time)

-------------------------------------
In cooperation with:
Gaim/Real Goods Design Group, TreePeople, Eric Lloyd Wright and
Associates, The Terra Foundation, LA EcoVillage, HopeDance Media,
Builders without Borders, The Permaculture Institute, The
Permaculture Institute of Northern California, EarthFlow Design
Works, City of Azusa, Earth Day L.A., Eco-Home Network, Ecology
Center of Southern California, Ecovillage Network of the Americas,
Friends of the L.A. River, Global Green, L.A. City Councilman Eric
Garcetti, L.A. Community College District Trustee Nancy Pearlman,
LAUSD School Board Member David Tokofsky, Permaculture Institute of
Southern California, Santa Monica College Center for Environmental
and Urban Studies, Southern California Council on Environment and
Development, Watts Family Gardens, Wetlands Action Network, Wright
Way Organic Resource Center, Cornucopia, Claremont Forum, Theory
Lab, San Diego Permaculture Center...