[Sdpg] Birney School Garden Weeding Party, Sat. 8/23, 9a-12p

San Diego Economic Conversion & Permaculture Center sdecc at igc.org
Thu Aug 21 14:22:06 PDT 2003

Dear Friends of the San Diego Permaculture Center,

One of the projects we've been involved in is growing a school-community
garden at Birney Elementary School in our office neighborhood of University
Heights.  With the completion of the new classroom building at Birney
Elementary, we're kicking off the neighborhood campaign to regain joint use
of the adjacent playing field and to design a community park and garden.
Please join us for the following upcoming events!

Marcia Boruta, Director, San Diego Permaculture Center
and Chair, University Heights Park & Rec Council
(619) 298-8879

UPCOMING EVENTS

EVENT #1------------------------
Please join us for a WEEDING PARTY
to kick off this year's school-community garden
at Alice Birney Elementary School in University Heights

WHEN:  Saturday, August 23, from 9 am  to 12 noon.

WHERE:  Alice Birney Elementary School, 4345 Campus Ave.
(at Meade Ave. one block west of Park Blvd.)

Bring your favorite weeding tools!  The event sponsors include:
Balboa Park Kiwanis Club (the K-Kids Club is a service group at Birney)
UH Park & Rec Council
San Diego Permaculture Center

Call Susan Griffin, Kiwanis Sponsor for info, (619) 294-9852

EVENT #2 -----------------------------------------------
The University Heights First Saturday Nature Walk & Canyon Cleanup Group
will tour the future Park Site adjacent to Birney and begin brainstorming
for a multi-use Community Park and Gardens.  We'll also do some cleanup
along the way.  Wear your walking shoes!

WHEN:  Saturday, September 6, 1p.m.

WHERE: Alice Birney Elementary School, 4345 Campus Ave.
(at Meade Ave. one block west of Park Blvd.)

For information, contact  Terry Weiner (619) 543-0757 or Marcia Boruta
(619) 298-8879

Join us at the University Heights Summer Concerts in the Park at Trolley
Barn Park on Adams Avenue (two blocks west of Park Blvd near Florida
Street).  We have an information table at the Friday evening concerts that
start at 6 p.m. and end at 8 p.m.  This Friday, August 22 features Sue
Palmer, San Diego's Queen of Boogie Woogie, and Friday, August 29 features
the Fabulous Mar Dels, Music from the 50s, 60s, and 70s.  Take the #11 Bus
to avoid parking problems!

For more information, contact Marcia Boruta at the the San Diego
Permaculture Center, (619) 298-8879, or email sdecc at igc.org