[Sdpg] [starhawk] Miami Update 11/19 anti-FTAA mobilization.

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Nov 20 06:37:25 PST 2003

This is the one of the daily from Star Hawk, Permaculture Teacher , Pagan
and one of the Teachers of The Earth Activist (Permaculture Design Course),
from the Anti Free Trade of the Americas Gathering going on in Miama
check out her website below
Miami Update 11/19/03

I wake up too early, after only four hours sleep, still charged with energy
from the ritual.  I go downtown to the Wallflower Gallery to give a
permaculture workshop for the Green Bloc¹s Solutions Forum.
   It¹s 1 PM.   I¹m tired, so tired.  I do fine on five hours sleep but
only four last night was pushing it.  It¹s been a long, good, oddly calm
day.  The permaculture workshop is fun to do and I get to show a short
video Donna made about the Green Bloc and slides of our ecovillage in
Cancun and of some of the City Repair projects in Portland where they
transform intersections into plazas with benches and community bulletin
boards and giveaway boxes and amazing sculptures.  We just begin a
conversation about where the skills we learn in these mobilizations could
lead‹into transforming communities and claiming spaces, neighborhoods,
villages, regions, as the Zapatistas have done in Chiapas or the Movimiento
Sim Terre in Brazil.  And I would love to stay all afternoon, go out to
lunch and go on talking about community building, but we have a meeting for
the Pagan Cluster.  So a group of us walk over to the community garden,
through the poor, destroyed neighborhoods that surround us.  Christy, who
is local, tells us that once this was a thriving African American
community, until they built a freeway through it and urban-renewed it into
oblivion.  Many people pass us; all seem friendly but most also have
glazed, drugged eyes.
   We get the cluster fairly well organized.  Lisa and I have formed an
affinity group of two, No Rest for the Wicked, we call it.  But we decide
to join in with the Vermont group, Burning Love.  Lisa will buddy up with
Charles, because they both move fast and are all over the place, collecting
information, negotiating, if necessary being liason to the police. Nobody
in Burning Love wants to be my buddy, because they know if there¹s trouble
I will run toward it.  I ask Andy to be my buddy.  We often end up together
on the street.  While Charles and Lisa are slim and quick, we¹re both big
and solid and slow, but we will wade into the midst of the fray, and shift
the energies.
   We go back to the convergence center after a brief lunch of Cuban stew
and chicken gizzards, and lie down for a moment.  Donna tells me that food
figures heavily in all my updates‹but truly it¹s a challenge to find time
to eat so every snatched meal feels like a small triumph.  Just be grateful
I don¹t record every time I take a pee‹which is even more of a challenge in
the convergence center, with two toilets for a thousand people!
   After the cluster meeting we have a spokescouncil, the last one before
the action.  It goes well.  Truly, there is nothing much left to decide,
except to approve the action plan.  Sara and I sing the new song my brother
and I have just written:

   "Come take back the streets, come one, come all,
   To the Witches and anarchists masquerade ball.
   For the power of the Empire is doomed to fall,
   At the Witches and Anarchists masquerade ball."

   The action is as planned as it can be.  I come home and nearly fall
asleep writing this.  As always, this close to the beginning, it seems like
we don¹t have the numbers we¹d hoped for, that we have a dumb and possibly
suicidal action plan, that I¹d rather be home gardening. Lisa says, "I¹m
not doing this any more."  She says that at least once every action.  I¹m
calm: I feel ordinary and relaxed.  At one moment, I think it will be a
miracle if I¹m not in jail by the end of the day tomorrow.  In another
minute, I¹m thinking tomorrow will be calm and possibly dull, an
ineffective anticlimax to our weeks of work.  But in any case, my own eyes
are glazing over as I type.  Wish us well tomorroe‹today.  And good
night.  May we be in the right place at the right time in the right way,
with the protection, the magic, the health, the energy, the wisdom to due
the work

ustice activist and organizer, is the author or coauthor of nine books,
including "The Spiral Dance," "The Fifth Sacred Thing," and "Webs of Power:
Notes from the Global
Uprising."   She is a veteran of progressive movements, from anti-war to
anti-nukes, is a highly influential voice in the revival of Goddess
religion, and has brought many innovative techniques of spirituality and
magic to her political work.  She works with the RANT collective, that
offers training and organizing support for peace and global justice
movements, with Reclaiming, offering training in earth-based ritual,
healing, and community building, and teaches Earth Activist Trainings in
combining permaculture design and organizing skills.

www.starhawk.org
www.rantcollective.org
www.reclaiming.org
www.earthactivisttraining.org