[Sdpg] Clay plaster Workshop Sat & Sun Feb 21-22 Jamul CA

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Feb 17 08:24:14 PST 2004

Remember that Clay plaster Workshop that you have been waiting for in
Southern California? I am afraid that you
are going to have to wait another week - Postponed to allow for the
necessary inspections by the County. Now
scheduled for the following weekend, Sat & Sun Feb 21-22

We are going to Clay (Earthen) Plaster the entire house, including interior
and exterior Straw Bale walls as well as all
interior stud walls. We will be using our own ground clay powder, sand and
"pre-processed" straw fiber (horse
manure) as the plaster mix.

The workshop will include:
Preparing the Bale walls
Window & Door Flashing
Wire Lath for all Openings
Structural Bale and Plaster Wire Lath
Interior Wall Lath
Clay, Sand and Fiber Ratios
Screening and Preparing Clay
Mixing the Plaster
Plaster Sprayer System
Hand Plastering Tools and Application
Plaster Finishing Techniques

The Owner: Laura Silver ˆ Owner Builder
Address: 17089 Skyline Truck Trail, Jamul CA 91935
The House: Rectangular with Dutch-Hip Metal-Clad Roofing
Inside area: 1,250 Sf ˆ Outside area 1,566 Sf ˆ Beam Height: 10 Ft Most of
the windows and doors are recycled.

The Workshop will be conducted by Bob Bolles of Sustainable Building
Systems, Inc. - Workshop Hours 8:30 AM
to 4:30 PM There is a lot to cover in these workshops and you will need to
arrive on time to insure that you receive
all of the information as we will be moving rapidly through the early
informational portion so we can move into the
hands-on mixing, spraying and finishing.

The Cost of the Workshop is $35 per day per person and includes
refreshments, snacks and lunch.

Bring gloves (sturdy waterproof types are recommended), warm work clothing
that can be removed if the weather
turns nice, and a change of clothes for the return home.

For directions and more information, Call Laura on her cell at (619)
895-3629 and she will return your call, or Email
Bob at Bob at StrawBaleHouse.com

The info should also be listed on our website: www.StrawBaleHouse.com With
a link to Laura's website with the
specifics.