[Sdpg] Permaculture Design Course Three Week Permaculture & Sustainable Living Design Course Orcas Island, WA - July 10th to July 31st, 2004

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri Apr 23 01:37:50 PDT 2004

Permaculture Design Course
Three Week Permaculture & Sustainable Living Design Course
http://www.permacultureportal.com/HTML/CE.htm

Orcas Island, WA - July 10th to July 31st, 2004

	Our course provides a balance of classroom discussion, hands-on practice,
and application of new skills, all in a beautiful, inspiring, working
example of Permaculture. Upon successful completion of the course, students
will receive a Permaculture Design Certificate. College credit may also be
given; inquire at your school, then contact us. The word "Permaculture" is
copyrighted; only upon completion of a certification course does one have
the right to use the term in reference to your goods and services.
Following certification and two years of field practice, you may apply to
the International Permaculture Institute for a Designer's Diploma.

Course Curriculum

Foundational Skills
Permaculture principles and design methods, plant identification, reading
the landscape, mapping

Water
Water catchment techniques, graywater systems, water quality tools

Food Forests & Orchards
Plant guilds, plant propagation, soil fertility, mulch, compost, windbreaks
Our abundant (and tasty!) food forest has inspired visitors for more than
20 years.

Structures
Natural building techniques, fencing, trellises, site access

Energy
Renewable energy: solar, wind, hydro, simple mechanical systems

Permaculture Zonation
A zone-by-zone focus on the elements of successful urban, suburban, and
rural landscapes

Animals and Aquaculture
"Critters and varmints," chicken tractors, bee-keeping, water gardens and
fish Cities,

Villages & Invisible Structures
Permaculture-influenced urban design, activism, sustainable economics

Implementation
Consensus building, client negotiations, working with contractors,
regulations and permits

Typical Daily Schedule

The morning sessions generally cover conceptual designs and discussions
regarding why things work (or don't work). In the afternoon, we practice
skills related to the day's topic by completing such tasks as:
Connecting a solar panel, fuse box, and electrical appliance
Designing plant guilds
Digging water-retaining swales
Grafting fruit trees

The evening sessions are flexible and may include slide shows, guest
speakers, fun skills such as knot-tying, or team assignments. Throughout
the course, student teams work together to design a Permaculture plan for a
nearby property. If you have any physical limitations, please contact us to
discuss how we can best accommodate you.

Facilities

Facilities on our homestead are rustic - outdoor kitchen, solar hot
showers, outhouses, and clothes lines. There is plenty of tent space and
limited room to park campers. There are nearby inns and rentals, but they
are expensive and are generally booked during the summer months. Please
contact us for more information. Spouses may stay on site and eat meals
with the group for an extra fee. Other family and friends are welcome to
visit during the course's open days (Wednesday afternoons and Saturdays).

Delicious vegetarian meals are provided by Yuriko Bullock, a professional
caterer, and our team of interns. Let us know if you have any special
dietary needs. Yuriko is very accomplished in her repertoire of healthy
cuisine.

A telephone is available on site; please bring a phone card to make
long-distance calls. There is a post office and small store located about
one mile from our farm. We are 12 miles from Eastsound Village, where there
are grocery stores, a health food store, restaurants, and Internet
facilities. During the open days (Wednesday afternoons and Saturdays) you
may want to take advantage of the island's hiking trails, lakes, and kayak
excursions. Students will share responsibility for some clean-up chores
during the course.

What to Pack

Tent, bedding, comfortable clothes and shoes, (temperatures range from the
low 60s to the high 80s during the day and to the low 50s at night), rain
gear, sun hat, sandals, swimsuit, towel, laundry soap and personal hygiene
items, bug spray, sun block, water bottle, favorite snacks, phone card,
notebook, pens, and any other student supplies you like. You might also
consider bringing garden gloves, your favorite garden tool, and any musical
instruments or songs you like. Pets are not allowed on the farm.

Getting to the Bullocks' Permaculture Farm

To Orcas Island

 From SeaTac International Airport, you can take a shuttle to the Anacortes
ferry dock. (For shuttle information, contact 866/235-5247 or
www.airporter.com.) The Washington State ferry system travels to Orcas
Island via two routes: from Anacortes, Washington and from Sidney, British
Columbia. (Schedules and fare information are available at 888/808-7977 or
www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries

Taking the Anacortes Ferry
Depending on traffic, it takes approximately 2 hours to drive from SeaTac
to Anacortes. For driving directions, go here. Please note that vehicle
boarding is often delayed during the tourist season. We recommend arriving
well in advance of your scheduled ferry. (This is not usually an issue for
walk-on passengers.)

Taking the Sidney Ferry
Reservations are recommended if you plan to take your vehicle on the ferry.
You can make your reservation online here or by phone at 888-808-7977.

Air Charters
At least two airlines fly to Orcas Island from several nearby mainland
locations. For details, contact West Isle Air (800/874-4434 or
www.westisleair.com) or Kenmore Air (866/435-9524 or www.kenmoreair.com).

To Our Homestead

If you are attending one of our events, call in advance and we can pick you
up at the ferry dock. If you are driving: Ascend the boat ramp, turning
left toward Eastsound. Drive approximately 2 miles and turn left at Deer
Harbor/Westsound Road. Continue on this road for approximately 4 miles,
then turn right on Channel Road. Drive over the bridge, past the marina,
and up the hill. Look for the "Spring Point" sign on your left. Immediately
after the sign, turn right onto our gravel driveway. Absolutely no pets are
allowed at the farm.

Instructors
Douglas Bullock
John Valenzuela
Samuel Bullock
Toby Hemenway
Joseph Bullock
and others

To Register

Fee: $1450 ($1350 if paid by June 1st)
Register now by sending your contact information (name, address & phone
number) and a $250 non-refundable deposit made payable to Samuel Bullock:

Samuel Bullock
PO Box 107
Dear Harbor, WA 98243
USA