[Sdpg] SB Clinic Retrofit, Mexico, May 16-22, 2004

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Apr 29 06:58:12 PDT 2004

News of an opportunity for hands-on experience and contribution, which we
hope will be of interest to some of our members.  It is coordinated by our
friends at World Hands Project.

-Derek Roff, for Builders Without Borders
*************************************

A Straw Bale Clinic Retrofit in Mexico, May 16 - 22, 2004

Announcing the latest project from the World Hands Project, in conjunction
with Builders Without Borders. Adding onto and retro-fitting a health
clinic in the colonia of Anapra, just north of Ciudad Juarez (across the
border from El Paso).

The clinic we have committed to enhance is run by a group of catholic nuns,
and is for some the only option available for health care or emergencies in
the colonia. Expanding upon our past projects creating housing for those in
need, this special project is one much needed in the community. The
building which currently exists is built of cinder block, often the first
choice material for building in the area. However, the structure becomes
unbearable in summer, when temperatures hover around 100 degrees, and
extremely cold in winter, when temperatures drop to dangerous levels for
the young and sick.

In this workshop we will expand the current building and insulate it, using
eco-methods to make the building more comfortable year round. We will
tackle the problem-solving aspects of retro-fitting an existing structure,
as a group brainstorm, and then work together to apply the solutions using
straw bales, straw clay and/or recycled paper/clay options. We will teach
the basics of straw bale construction as we add on 2 straw bale rooms, and
rework the roof design with our recycled pallet truss system. Finish work
will include standard earthen plastering as well as working with recycled
paper/clay combinations for insulation.

Cost for the project is $375, and includes room and board and instruction.
We are limiting the number of attendees- please inquire early to secure a
spot. For more information or to register, contact Jeff Cygan at
jeffcygan at excite.com  <mailto:jeffcygan at excite.com>  or 541-760-3937.

To remove yourself from the Builders Without Borders newsletter list, send
email to BWBNewsletter at lists.builderswithoutborders.org with UNSUBSCRIBE in
the SUBJECT line.