[Sdpg] Fwd from: gil_carandang at hotmail.com Farm Apprenticeship

Gaden at ziplip.com Gaden at ziplip.com
Mon Jun 28 01:54:53 PDT 2004

Tropical Organic Agriculture Farm Apprenticeship
Herbana Farms  gil_carandang at hotmail.com
6 Month Residential Position

Herbana Farms (Philippines), a tropical diversified organic farm
specializing in the production of culinary and medicinal herbs, salad greens, Asian and specialty vegetables, cut flowers, natural  free-range chickens and tilapia aquaculture is currently accepting applications for our 2004-2005 six-month apprenticeship  on our newly set-up 10-acre organic production and demonstration farm.

Our farm focuses on organic production for the local farmers market and CSA (Community Supported Agriculture), and serving as a training venue for organic farmers.  Our sustainable agriculture practices focus on Natural Farming technology using beneficial
indigenous microorganisms, enzymes and biological nutrients, including Indigenous Knowledge, Biodynamics, French Intensive, Agroecology and Permaculture.

The farm is located on a 10-acre property with 4-acre dedicated to herb,vegetable and flower gardens.  The rest are intended for  production modules for natural free-range chickens, tilapia aquaculture and tropical fruit orchard.  Integrated to the farm is a Life Lab (organic educational garden for kids), solar showers, spas and sauna, including the community farm center where the kitchen and dining, restrooms, storage room and the farms apprentices quarters are located.  In the same area is our propagation, greenhouse, hoof house, hardening area and plant nursery.  There are four separate greenhouses where we grow mainly vegetables as protected from the rains.

Our schedule for this farm apprenticeship is from November to
April which translates to a cooler to dry  time of the year. We are about 30 miles south of Manila.  The farm is located on a slightly rolling and hilly elevation near the old sugar central of  anlubang with panoramic views of Tagaytay Ridge (a major Philippine tourist destination), the famous Mt. Makiling and Laguna de Bay, Mt. Malarayat and Maculot of Batangas province.

As part of the Apprenticeship program, we encourage apprentices to
participate on countryside tours and community immersions.  Currently,  we are working on community immersion  with indigenous peoples of  the famous rice terraces of northern Philippines.  You will have the chance to spend some time, living and working with the Ifugaos and Bontocs of the Mountain Province.  A local tour, two hours from the farm will bring the apprentices to the island resort of Puerto Galera, Mindoro known for its 23 dive sites scuba, snorkeling, including natural trekking and visit of the Mangyan
(indigenous people) village of the island

Who May Apply

Prior gardening and farming experience is helpful but not necessary. However, a strong desire to learn and keen interest in hands-on gardening and farming is essential.  We are looking for self-motivated, self-starting people.  The Apprenticeship will involve all aspects of organic production including propagation and greenhouse work, watering, bed prep, composting, transplanting and sowing, weeding, harvesting and seed saving and processing, including related functions in the care and maintenance of our
small livestock free-range chickens and tilapia aquaculture. Physical stamina is necessary.

This is a wonderful opportunity to learn practical skills that will develop for the use for the rest of your life!

Welcome to the tropical organic agriculture Apprenticehip at Herbana Farms!

For more information and application write or e-mail us:

Gil Carandang
Herbana Farms
Km. 59  Burol, Calamba City
Laguna, Philippines