[Sdpg] Natural Building and Traditional Architecture November 22 - December 3, 2004 Tlaxco, Mexico

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Sep 23 07:24:05 PDT 2004

Natural Building and Traditional Architecture
November 22 - December 3, 2004, Tlaxco, Mexico
Practical Hands on Learning In Highland Mexico
Cost $1200

Sponsored by Zopilote Association, Cob Cottage Company, and Proyecto San
Isidro Educacion Permanente (17th/18th years)

Topics to include:
Mexico's traditional buildings
Understanding local ecology and culture
Local economics and building techniques
The natural house, using local resources
Climate-responsive building
Practice and explanation of cob, strawbale, lightclay, thatch, natural
floors, natural plasters, roundwood and wastewood
Design of natural buildings

Why Mexico?

By simply crossing a frontier line you can pass directly from the
post-industrial affluent world to a relatively intact traditional
culture.  What a resource!  Mexico was a mature, cultured, stable society
centuries before Plymouth Rock.  Her traditions and techniques
persist.  Most tourists are carefully isolated from Real Mexico, yet we
have infinite amounts to learn from Mexicans.  Zopilote's programs have
evolved over 15 years of North-South cooperation, to allow Europeans and
North Americans direct access to the heart of Mexican daily life.  Tlaxco
is uniquely suited for it's diversity of culture, architecture and
ecological life-zones, from subtropics to snowline. Two thousand years of
architecture is visible within a short drive and dozens of traditional
crops are grown nearby.

Workshop Location

Inspired by the Caballero family's 40 years of pioneering work in rural
development, we are based on their 300-acre forest-farm in the mountains
East of Mexico City.  In the 1950's Carlos and Magdalena Caballero began
their pioneering work in landscape restoration, rural education and organic
agriculture.  They took 300 acres of dreadfully gullied errosion and
without chemicals or foreign capital, have transformed 90% of it to
productive farmland and forest/wildlife.  Now their children and
grandchildren are beginning restoration of a further 50 acres (through the
newly launched San Isidro project).  The environmental grade school they
founded is thriving.  It offers the only healthy alternative schooling for
miles.  Your program fees assure funding for this remarkable school, which
runs without government or institutional funds, completely by donations and
parental involvement.  The project's buildings now include demonstrations
of strawbale, cob, light-clay, rammed earth, thatching, stone masonry,
local brick, adobe, natural floors and plasters, and local waste-wood.  You
can help build a permanent campus and experiment center.
Accommodations

You will sleep in a comfortable cabin by a stream in a peaceful forested
mountain valley.  We are 3 miles to town and 1.5 miles to the teaching
center, down a safe, quiet country lane.  Tlaxco is a small busy market
town where you can buy most things.  There's a hotel and a small hospital
which we have never yet needed.  You can see the snowcaps of the giant
volcanoes, Popo and Ixta, in the distance.  We eat lavishly, Mexican
traditional, vegetarian, local, mostly organic.  You will meet fruits,
vegetables and delicious dishes you have never heard of before.  While we
can't cater to special diets, there is enough variety at every meal to
satisfy most people's dietary needs.  The water from our own spring, is
crystal clear and delicious.  There is no endemic disease so you don't need
shots.  The site is at 9000' so it's cool, with frost sometimes.  Bundle
up!  While we have a van available, you can walk up and down the valley
everyday, getting plenty of exercise.  You may be a little short of breath
at first if you come from a low altitude.

How We Teach

Much of the work and discussions is in small multicultural teams of Latin
Americans, Europeans and North Americans.  All formal sessions are
translated so you can learn a lot of Spanish by immersion and constant
use.  In the evenings we often have campfires under the stars.  Students
can make invaluable contacts and friendships, which in the past have led to
North-South partnerships, working associates and lifelong friends.  Lead
instructores are Alejandra Caballero and Paco Gomez, supported by an
international team having a wide range of experience (agronomy, land
restoration, silviculture, rural community development, alternative
architecture, environmental education, etc.).  Three generations of the
Caballero family typically participate.  Workshops operate under the
principle that "everyone is a teacher, everyone a student", and integrate
the life experiences and skills of participants.
Bringing Children

We encourage families to travel together; it can be inspiring and
bonding.  After returning home everone can discuss, use and learn from the
experience.  We now offer a special program for children who don't want to
fully participate in the adult program (children could flow between the two
programs if they can be there without distracting others).

Benefits: Children learn language quickly as everthing is bilingual.  Often
they are speaking quite a lot of Spanish after two weeks.  The project
operates a local alternative environmental grade school in the village.  We
will share activities with them.  The ecology is rich and varied, with many
opportunities for making forts from local materials, campfire cooking,
discovery hikes, watching wildlife, together with play acting, costume play
and local crafts.  Children see another culture first-hand, are absorbed
into it, learn racial and cultural tolerance and see that a simple life can
be exciting and rich.

Cost for children: Half the adult rate ($480).
Cost:

$1200 includes tuition, 3 delicious vegetarian meals per day, lodging, and
field trips.  A $300 non-refundable deposit insures a place (limited to 12
non-Mexicans).  10% discount for full payment at least 60 days in
advance.  10% discount for families and friends together (couples and
families are encouraged); children under 14 pay half price and are
encouraged to participate (see above for details).  Tuition supports the
alternative grade school run by the Caballero family and pays for
scholarships for needy Latin Americans.  Partial work-trades available to
skilled interpreters.  Checks payable to Alejandra Caballero.
To Register, or for More Information, Contact:
Ianto Evans
Cob Cottage Company
P.O. Box 123
Cottage Grove, Oregon 97424