[Sdpg] NATURAL BUILDING SKILLBUILDER 2005June 20th - August 27th, 2005 O.U.R. ECOVILLAGE, Shawnigan Lake, BC

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Jan 13 06:43:57 PST 2005

NATURAL BUILDING SKILLBUILDER 2005June 20th - August 27th, 2005
Location: O.U.R. ECOVILLAGE, Shawnigan Lake, BC

Description : In 2005 our natural building programs will continue work on
OUR Healing Sanctuary and we also plan to build our first natural home.
Participants learn through hands-on practice of building skills, supported
by presentations, personal study and discussions of related topics. The
learning community also involves taking part in core curriculum activities
of our whole systems programming. The Natural Building Skill builder
Program offers: · Strawbale and Cob Finishing: aesthetics, bas-relief work,
brown coat for plaster, windows and doors · Natural Plasters: clay and lime
recipes, colour and application · Earthen Floors: in- floor heat, tile
work, finishing · Cob Construction: wall building, detailing, windows,
doors, roof · Stone Foundation · Woodworking: as needed to support cob or
bale building · Basic Design Skills: passive solar, natural house specific
needs, materials, decision making · Community life: all participants live
on site for the duration of the program. Daily involvement in chores,
community meetings, celebrations, seasonal ritual and other community
events become part of the stay.

Program outline The program begins with a weeklong “permaculturalization”-
group building and establishing learning community ethics in connection
with everyone on the land. Practical learning begins at the Healing
Sanctuary building with finishing work. Participants develop plastering
skills, including preparation of surfaces, shaping and trimming. The second
part of the program takes place at our first Ecovillage house project.
Building plans will be developed during the winter months and final;
material choices are part of that. Cob building with a focus on efficiency
and understanding of all aspects of the building will be at the core of
this part. Field trips to other projects and to Mayne Island cob houses are
also included in the program.

Instructors Our international teaching team includes builders and artisans
Elke Cole from Cobworks, Eckhardt Beuchel from Germany, and others. We
bring in guest presenters on topics like alternative energy and baubiology.

Ecovillage activities Spending two months at O.U.R.Ecovillage gives
everyone opportunity to participate in a diverse offering of activities.
Garden, Greenhouses, Forest and open spaces offer walks, quiet time, change
in pace and other learning. Our connection with the Cowichan First Nations
Community brings cultural awareness and integration of practices in our
daily lives. Shared meals are at the core of community life and everyone
participates in meal preparation and cleanup chores.

Facilities and camp O.U.R. Ecovillage program participants live in personal
tents in our camp area. We have an outdoor solar shower and washing station
as well as several outhouses. Our outdoor kitchen serves vegetarian food
with daily input from the garden. A cob oven is also available for bread
baking and pizza. Meals are provided  breakfast is self serve, lunch and
dinner on a rotational cooking schedule with the support of a cook. The big
yurt on the property is used for gatherings, council, celebrations and
presentations.

Surrounding area and larger community O.U.R.Ecovillage is situated near
Shawnigan Lake on Vancouver Island. The immediate area invites hiking,
boating, cycling, and swimming. Weekend trips can reach Strathcona Park,
the west coast of the island, the gulf islands, Victoria and Vancouver. The
closest communities for shopping and services are Mill Bay, Shawnigan Lake,
Cobble Hill and the city of Duncan. Public transport reaches Mill Bay and
Shawnigan Lake. Our climate has a dry season from June to October.
Temperatures reach upper 20s Celsius but cool down at night.

FOR REGISTRATION: Please email us: our at pacificcoast.netOr phone: (250)
743-3067 ** we will ask you for your background with related experience, a
written vision statement of your vision for participating in the program
before we do a telephone interview.