[Sdpg] Sun. Jan. 30, 1-4pm, Birney School Garden Party

San Diego Economic Conversion & Permaculture Center sdecc at igc.org
Fri Jan 28 16:54:52 PST 2005

Dear Friends of the San Diego Permaculture Center,

One of our "Sustainable Neighborhoods" projects is the Birney
School-Community Garden. School started at Birney Elementary on Tuesday,
January 18, and our garden needs a lot of care to prepare it for spring
plantings!  Right now we have a vigorous growth of weeds, interspersed with
self-seeded arugula, beets, sunflowers, tomatoes, potatoes, and cutting
flowers.

So, we're scheduling a volunteer cleanup day "Sunday Afternoon in the
Garden" to:
1) prepare the classroom garden plots for planting food gardens, and
2) design and plant new demonstration native plant/water
conservation/butterfly gardens with the over 100 plants donated to us
through the 2003 California Native Plant Society's School Garden Grant
Program and RECON Native Plants.

Please join us this Sunday, January 30!  The new Urban Gardeners Guild
(UGG) will also be holding their monthly meeting at the school garden site.
We'll have an informal discussion about the potential for
"School-Community Gardens" and we'll also do a "study of weeds" with
handouts on edible weeds and what weeds can tell you about your type of
soil.

WHEN:  1pm-4pm, Sunday, January 30

WHERE: Alice Birney Elementary School, 4345 Campus Avenue (in University
Heights one block south of Meade Avenue).  Our school garden is next to the
fence that borders the parking lot just south of the school.

FOR MORE INFO CONTACT:
Marcia Boruta, San Diego Permaculture Center, (619) 255-6111, sdecc at igc.org
(also, Chair, University Heights Park & Rec Council)