[Sdpg] Green and Natural Building Solar Living Institute Hopland CA 2005

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Feb 3 06:41:35 PST 2005

Ihttp://store.solarlivingstore.com/grnbuwo.html

Introduction to Strawbale Construction
April 16-17, 2005, Hopland, CA
Regular price: $290.00
Sale price: $261.00

Build Your Own Earth Oven
April 23-24, 2005, Hopland, CA
Regular price: $290.00
Sale price: $261.00

Building with Bales (6-Day)
May 9-14, 2005, Hopland, CA
Regular price: $795.00
Sale price: $716.00

Building with Earth (6-Day)
May 16-21, 2005, Hopland, CA
Regular price: $795.00
Sale price: $716.00
Where: Real Goods Solar Living Center, Hopland, CA

Contact: sli at solarliving.org or 707-744-2017

Building with Earth (6-Day)
During these six days we will focus mainly on the properties of clay soil
as a building material, both structurally and aesthetically. Different
combinations and proportions of clay soil, sand, fiber and water will be
combined to make a variety of different building materials all appropriate
for different applications. Students will learn how to smoothly integrate
various natural building materials to create the best possible building
solution for each individual situation. In particular, students will
construct the cob section of the cabin, pour the second layer of the adobe
floor and learn how to build a wattle and daub wall. Students will also get
a chance to delve a little deeper into the artistic aspects of plasters and
clay paints. Some of the material in this section of the course will be
repeated from the previous week but will be taught in greater detail.
Expect to leave this part of the course with the confidence to assess and
work with your own clay soil.

During the Building with Bales and Building with Earth 6-day workshops we
will build a small hybrid construction cabin from the ground to the roof
using a wide range of natural building techniques, including straw bale,
cob, adobe floors, earth plasters and more. This workshop will emphasize
ecological design, low-tech and low-cost construction methods, and creative
recycling. Feel a sense of accomplishment knowing that the finished product
will provide living space for the Solar Living Institute's weather-beaten
interns. Sign up for both Part I and II or take either individually.
Instructors: Massey Burke and Sasha Rabin, both former Solar Living
Institute Interns.

Passive Solar and Green Building Design
May 19, 2005, San Francisco, CA
$145.00

Strawbale Construction and Whitewater Rafting Week
June 13-18, 2005, Lotus, CA
$795.00

Introduction to Strawbale Construction
July 16-17, 2005, Hopland, CA
Regular price: $290.00
Sale price: $261.00

Passive Solar and Green Building Design
August 5, 2005, San Francisco, CA
$145.00

Building with Earth (6-Day)
September 6-11, 2005, Hopland, CA
Regular price: $795.00
Sale price: $716.00

Building with Bales (6-Day)
September 13-18, 2005, Hopland, CA
Regular price: $795.00
Sale price: $716.00

Cob Building Intensive at the Orella Ranch (5-Day)
September 26-30, 2005, Orella Ranch, Santa Barbara County, CA
$695.00

Introduction to Strawbale Construction
October 1-2, 2005, Hopland, CA
Regular price: $290.00