[Sdpg] Santa Barbara Lecture series outlines 7-steps to “fossil freedom” Apr-May

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Wed Apr 20 13:44:21 PDT 2005

Lecture series outlines 7-steps to  “fossil freedom” in SAnta Barbara CA

UCSB Nobel Laureate Walter Kohn and popular energy analyst Hunter Lovins of
the
Rocky Mountain Institute are some of the speakers slated for CEC’s 7-week
lecture series at the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History. The series —
which begins Tuesday, April 26 — will look at both tried-and-tested solutions
like conservation and solar, as well as some technologies that push the
envelope, such as wave buoys and aquatic wind turbines.

In addition, CEC has just published a 16-page booklet that shows how our
“Fossil Free by ’33” goal can be reached even sooner — by 2020.

Tuesday, April 26 Why fossil fuels are for Dinosaurs: The Economic and
Environmental Impacts of Our Current Energy Path  6:30 information faire,
7:30pm lecture.
Donald Aitken, Ph.D., Consulting Scientist, Union of Concerned Scientists.

Tues, May 3 Harnessing Our Nation’s Brain Power: An Energy Pioneer’s Creative
Approach to Energy Independence 6:30 information faire, 7:30pm lecture.
Hunter Lovins, nationally known energy and conservation expert.

Tuesday, May 10 Capturing the Power of the Sun: How Solar Technologies are
Creating an Energy Revolution  6:30 information faire, 7:30pm lecture.
Walter Kohn, UC Santa Barbara, Nobel Prize for Chemistry. Fred Sisson,
Renewable Energy Concepts, a Los Osos-based solar energy company.

Tuesday, May 17 Harvesting the Power of the Wind: How On-Shore and Off-Shore
Wind Turbines Could Set Us on a New Path 6:30 information faire, 7:30pm
lecture.
Jim Dehlsen, Clipper Wind Power, Carpinteria.

Tuesday, May 24 Reining in Wave Power: How Ocean Technologies Could Transform
California
6:30 information faire, 7:30pm lecture.
Mary Jane Parks, AquaEnergy, a Washington state-based ocean energy company.
Carolyn Elefant, Nationally recognized renewable energy law expert.

Tuesday, May 31 Fueling Change: How Hybrids, Hydrogen and Other Alternatives
are Remaking Transportation 6:30 information faire, 7:30pm lecture.
Daniel Emmett, Energy Independence Now!, a Santa Barbara-based non-profit.
Arjun Sarkar, UC Santa Barbara, Dept. of Transportation. Craig Schmitman, CEO
of Have Blue, Inc., an Oxnard company developing a hydrogen fuel cell powered
sailboat. For information: Call Tam, 963-0583

Tuesday, June 7 Power to the People: How the Tri-Counties Can Lead the Nation
in Demanding a More Sustainable Energy Path 6:30 information faire, 7:30pm
lecture.
Terry Tamminen, Cabinet Secretary to Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger and former
Cal EPA Secretary. Concluding remarks by Bob Ferris, Executive Director,
Community Environmental Council.

Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Fleischman Auditorium, 2559 Puesta
del
Sol, Santa Barbara.
For information: Call Tam, 963-0583 ext. 122 or email. Suggested donaton $3
www.communityenvironmentalcouncil.org/events/cec_calendar.html

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
sbpcnet at silcom.com
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order to
grow." - Anonymous