[Sdpg] The Wilder Foundation Next Generation Permaculture Nicaragua, Costa Rica, The Bahamas, Hawaii, and the Pacific NW of the United States. 2005- 2006

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Sep 6 22:25:52 PDT 2005

The Wilder Foundation http://www.permaculturenow.com/
Next Generation Permaculture  in Nicaragua, Costa Rica, The Bahamas,
Hawaii, and the Pacific NW of the United States. 2005- 2006

"Conscious permaculture design reweaves the web of fertile and
sophisticated landscapes where humans, plants, animals, and our collective
spirits belong and are welcome."

The Wilder Foundation was created to promote and support permaculture
education and design around the world based on the ethics of:

CARE FOR THE EARTH: 	Protect and create wildlife niche and habitat
Increase biodiversity
Protect watersheds

CARE FOR PEOPLE: 	Teach and use sustainable design
Increase agrobiodiversity
Strengthen and enliven local culture
Create thriving local economies
Value indigenous knowledge

DISTRIBUTE THE SURPLUS: 	Share seeds and plants
Share harvest
Share knowledge and skills

The Wilder Foundation currently has projects in Nicaragua, Costa Rica, The
Bahamas, Hawaii, and the Pacific NW of the United States. We focus our
efforts in two main areas: permaculture design education and the
establishment of permaculture nurseries.

Permaculture Design Course
Puna district, The Big Island of Hawai'i
December 2-16, 2005

Instructors: Douglas Bullock, Lonnie Gamble, Sean Canetta, Sara Sullivan,
plus local guest instructors
Permaculture Design course price: $1,400 (does not include airfare).
Includes delicious organic vegetarian meals made from a mix of traditional
Hawaiian cuisine and farm-fresh foods. Ask us for fundraising ideas in your
community to help cover course costs and travel expenses.

5% Discount for Bioneers Members: Join this amazing network of
environmental activists, scientists, farmers, social justice leaders, and
change agents. Go to www.bioneers.org to become a member!

Deadline to Apply is October 13th, 2005: $100 discount if paid in full by
Oct 1st.

After the course: Sign up for our 3-day Digital Media and Permaculture
course and learn how to make quality flyers and digital maps.

For more information or to register:
Jamie Mulligan-Smith: mulligoon at hotmail.com (415) 298-0915

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Permaculture Design Course
Cape Eleuthera, Bahamas
January 5th - 22nd, 2006

At the Island School

Instructors: Sam Bullock, Chris Shanks, Jack Kenworthy and Island School
Faculty
plus local Bahamian guest instructors

The Island School is an organization dedicated to experiential education
and research based in sustainable development in The Bahamas. We enjoy a
unique site located on a rural peninsula on one of The Family Islands that
offers beauty and opportunity for exploration. Our site serves as a
demonstration of regenerative technologies such as: sustainable
agriculture, renewable energy, waste-water treatment, ecological
architecture, aquaculture, alternative fuels and community development.
Through interaction with our site, participants will learn how to design
and develop from a whole systems perspective. Challenges of our site will
foster problem solving and opportunities for collaborative work. Coastal
proximity and lack of precipitation present extra challenges for food
system development. Lectures, discussion, and individual research will be
combined with hands-on workshops on plant propagation, grafting, and
building with local materials. Coursework will cover interdisciplinary
topics within permaculture such as: site design, earth repair, systems
integration and many more.

Participants of the fourth annual PDC at the Island School will continue to
add the development and design of the Island School and Institute grounds.
The Island School organization has recently begun developing a design
institute for the Carribean. Students of the 2006 PDC will be integral in
thinking about a master plan for development of this new site. Newly
acquired skills in design and holistic thinking will be employed to create
a regenerative space that promotes learning, diversity and culture. Please
contact us to become part of this design process.

Permaculture Design course price: $1,650 (does not include airfare).

For more information:
Contact Chris Shanks: ch_shanks at hotmail.com with any inquiries.
Leave us your phone number and we will be happy to converse with you about
the design course.
To learn more about the Island School visit: www.islandschool.org

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Permaculture Design Course
Ometepe Island, Nicaragua
February 8th - February 27th, 2005

At the Bona Fide Institute for Regenerative Agriculture

Instructors: Jenny Pell, Christopher Shanks, Michael Judd, Ronaldo Lec and
Douglas Bullock

Join us for an 18 day bilingual permaculture design intensive! Our
professional interpreters Reed and Andrea will be available to facilitate
conversations with Central American students joining us from Nicaragua, El
Salvador, Guatemala, and Costa Rica, and many of us on staff are bilingual
as well.

Permaculture is thriving in Latin America, and we work hard to provide
educational opportunities for campesinos (peasant farmers), local
agronomists, and villagers. This course offers a very unique opportunity to
study with Central Americans, meet their families, be invited to their
villages and farms, and learn an enormous amount of Spanish as well as
permaculture!

Ometepe's dense tropical forest is one of the richest and most biodiverse
ecosystems on the planet. We encourage you to allow ample time before or
after the course to explore the natural and cultural wonders of Ometepe.
Accessible only by boat or float plane, this twelve-mile, twin-peaked
volcanic island is located in one of the world's largest freshwater lakes,
Lake Nicaragua. A beautiful lagoon fills the crater of the Maderas Volcano,
from which flow several sizeable waterfalls and river systems. Visit the
jungle, beach, summit a volcano, study petroglyphs, seek out tropical
wildlife, or meet the locals. Most of the island's 30,000 residents are
farmers who cultivate plantain, sesame, fruit, cattle, and coffee as their
main agricultural products. Ometepe and Bainbridge Island in Washington
State have enjoyed a 15-year friendship, and student and cultural exchange
program through their sister island association program.

Permaculture Design course price: $1,250. Accommodations will be provided
at Finca Magdalena, a local coffee cooperative and exporter of organic
shade-grown coffee. Meals will include a mixture of traditional cuisine and
farm foods. Fee does not include airfare.

Couples Discounts, 2nd time PDC attendees, and other options considered

Deadline to apply is November 30, 2004 $325 non-refundable deposit required

For more information:
East Coast - Chris Shanks: ch_shanks at hotmail.com
West Coast - Jenny Pell: jennyeverywhere at yahoo.com
Visit www.silentdust.com/bonafide to learn more about Ometepe and Project
Bona Fide

Permaculture Design Course
Costa Rica
with daily yoga instruction

June 23 - July 6, 2005
At Rancho Mastatal Environmental Learning & Sustainable Living Center

July 8 - July 14, 2005
Optional one-week permaculture tour of the area's outstanding
sustainability projects.

Instructors : Douglas Bullock, Chris Shanks, & Jenny Pell
Assisted by : Tim O'Hara, Robin Nunes, & yoga instructor Michael Suzerris

Join us for this 14 day bilingual design intensive at beautiful Rancho
Mastatal. Located a few short hours from San Jose, this course is centrally
located and easy to get to (flights to San Jose are as low as $350 RT from
major US cities). Permaculture is thriving in Latin America, and we work
hard to provide educational opportunities for campesinos (peasant farmers),
local agronomists, and villagers. This course offers a very unique
opportunity to study with Central Americans, meet their families, be
invited to their villages and farms, and learn an enormous amount of
Spanish as well as permaculture!

Our professional interpreters Reed and Andrea will be available to
facilitate conversations, and many of us on staff are bilingual as well.

Costa Rica is a stunningly beautiful and diverse nation about the size of
West Virginia, where 5% of the entire biodiversity of the planet is
concentrated. From the coral reefs to the magnificent cloud forests, Costa
Rica boasts more than 800 varieties of birds (more than the entire US and
Canada combined), and don't forget sloths, monkeys, tapirs, snakes,
crocodiles, coatimundis, and so much more. With two coasts to explore,
jungle, forests, volcanoes, world famous surf breaks, and new friends to
travel with, definitely plan some extra time before or after course, or
even better, sign up for our Permaculture Tour!

Michael Suzerris, owner of Yogalife studios, will provide daily optional
yoga sessions. A gentle morning session will prepare us for the rigors of
the day. As time and interest allow he will lead evening sessions designed
to wind us down.

Permaculture Design course price: $1,400 (does not include airfare).
Accommodations will be provided onsite at Rancho Mastatal. Delicious
vegetarian meals will include a mixture of traditional cuisine and farm foods.

Optional one week permaculture tour price: $700 (includes all meals,
transportation, & shared rooms). The tour is limited to 8 students, so
please sign up early. We will visit our favorite projects and people, with
plenty of time to experience the richness of Costa Rica's biodiversity.

Deadline to apply is May 20th, 2005: $350 non-refundable deposit required

For more information:
www.ranchomastatal.com for info on the course site
Chris Shanks: ch_shanks at hotmail.com
Jenny Pell: jennyeverywhere at yahoo.com

Permaculture Design Course
Orcas Island, Washington
July 18 - August 7, 2005

Location: Bullock's Farm, Orcas Island, Washington

Instructors: Douglas Bullock, John Valenzuela, Toby Hemenway, Sam Bullock,
and Fungi Perfecti

This three-week certificated design course is hosted at the Bullock's 25
year-old permaculture homestead, undoubtedly the finest example of
permaculture in the Pacific NW bioregion. This teaching team collectively
has more permaculture experience in design, implementation and teaching,
than any group. Don't miss this opportunity!!

Approximately 144 hours of classroom and hands-on education.

The course will incorporate; design methodologies, observation skills,
whole systems design, annual and perennial foods, energy/water/waste
management, appropriate construction, plant propagation and culture,
outdoor mushroom cultivation, herbs and natural fiber use.

Cost: $1,500 ($1400 paid by June 1st)
Contact: Samuel Bullock
PO Box 107 Deer Harbor,
WA, USA 98243
Phone: (360) 376-2773
Email: permaculture.sam at gmail.com
Web:www.permacultureportal.com

Scholarship and Worktrade Programs

Overview

The Wilder Foundation Scholarship program provides full and partial
financial support to individuals who might not otherwise be able to attend
a design course.

All students who receive scholarship money and/or worktrade through our
foundation are expected to share their new knowledge and skills in the form
of continuing education into their own communities. We assist graduating
students with workshop design, plant propagation projects, small nursery
set-up, water filtration design, urban permaculture projects, lectures and
workshops at schools, and more.

In Central America our courses are fully bilingual, and are designed with
local farmers, agronomists, villagers, and families in mind. These
scholarships cover 100% of the costs for the course, travel expenses, and
room and board onsite.

Through our scholarship program we are building the Central American
permaculture network. We send students home with all kinds of materials in
Spanish, seeds, seedlings, scion wood for grafting, new skills, and
connections to volunteers from our vast network of international
permaculturalists who come to work side by side with locals in their
villages and farms.

If you would like to donate to our scholarship fund please consider
donating online, and if you would like to sponsor someone you know from a
town or village in Central America, please contact us directly

Worktrade

For students from low-income situations in the US, Canada, and Europe, we
offer worktrade and scholarship options.

If you would like to receive a discount on any of our courses, we require a
2 week worktrade commitment either before or after the course, as well as a
continuing education commitment from you as outlined above.

Before applying for worktrade or scholarship money, please consider
fundraising to help offset the costs of your course fees and travel
expenses. Many of our students have had great success fundraising.

If you are from the US, Canada, Europe, and would like to qualify for
worktrade or scholarship opportunities, please fill out this form and email
to Jenny Pell (jennyeverywhere at yahoo.com). .

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Permaculture Design Courses
Overview

In each of our current locations - Hawaii, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Orcas
Island WA, The Bahamas, and Poland - we teach annual two and three-week
permaculture design intensives. We return each year to build friendships,
infrastructure, and richer more biodiverse environments.

In Central America our courses are fully bilingual, and all our courses
have local farmers and villagers both as students and teachers.

Our Certificated Permaculture Design Courses offer unique opportunities to
learn the theory, principles, and practice of permaculture in rural
agricultural communities, from our teaching team as well as local farmers
and educators.

Topics include:
Permaculture design principles & methodologies
Reading landscapes, mapping, & site analysis
Plant propagation and seed saving
Indigenous cultivation, traditions, and practices
Perennial polycultures and developing food forests
Energy conservation and renewable energy sources
Ecosystem restoration / bioremediation
Hydrology and aquaculture
Alternative economic systems & local self-reliance
Forest management and agroforestry
Patterns in nature
Natural building
Ecovillage design
Urban permaculture strategies
Whole systems theory
Ecoliteracy
Herbs & medicinal plants
Integrated animal systems
Integrated pest management

Classes include lectures, hands-on projects, research, field trips, and
team design projects.

Advanced courses include:
Water: pond construction, plumbing and irrigation systems, potable water,
water tanks, rainwater catchment
Energy: solar and wind electric system installation and upgrading
Building: wood, bamboo, stone, earth bag, thatch, and use of earthmoving
machines in land development
Metal: welding and metal fabrication projects
Plant propagation: grafting, composting, fertility, seed saving, tray
greens, guild design

Academic credits are often available to undergraduate and graduate students
attending a Permaculture Design Course. Our staff can assist you with
obtaining university credits.