[Sdpg] October Projects in Northern Mexico Builders Without Borders

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Thu Sep 15 17:08:55 PDT 2005

Builders Without Borders <bwbnewsletter at lists.builderswithoutborders.org>

Here is an opportunity to contribute and learn in Northern Mexico.  Our
friends and partners at World Hands have an exciting project, which they
describe below.  I hope you can find a way to participate.

Derek Roff
Director, Builders Without Borders

WHP CLINIC EXPANSION PROJECT!

A two part project with options to attend one or both weeks (see below)

We are excited to be able to again work with Fr. Bill Morton of the
Columban Mission of Anapra and the Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati to
expand the Santo Nino Center for Special Needs Children in Anapra we helped
retro-fit in the spring of 2004. We will add another 500 square foot room
to the clinic, in which Dr. Janet, therapists and nurses will be able to
increase their care for children of special needs. The current clinic is a
thriving success and supplies many needed services to families who might
otherwise not receive help with their children. As of this writing the
clinic is open every other Saturday only, but upon completion of the new
addition the new clinic will be able to expand its hours of operation and
be open all week.

The addition will be built of shipping pallets stacked to form the walls
and then stuffed with a straw/clay mix that provides insulation to keep the
clinic cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The shipping pallet
design was developed by our friends Jose Louis and Father Bill. Roof
trusses will be constructed of recycled pallets and a metal roof will be
placed above straw insulation and a sheetrock ceiling for fire protection.
All walls will be earthen plastered with locally available materials.

World Hands is pleased to bring our group to the project and work side by
side with the local crews who developed the pallet wall concept. We will
complete the addition in two one-week workshops. Participants can attend
either week or both

Join us for the workshops to learn some basics of natural building as we
build alongside our local friends to expand this important community space.
As always, we will provide the basics of natural building as we immerse in
the local culture and work along with our friends to complete this
important structure. Join us for this special project!

CLINIC EXPANSION WEEK 1

In this first week we will be building the pallet walls from the foundation
up, fabricate all the roof trusses from pallets, install window bucks, fill
the walls with the straw/clay mix and begin insulating the roof.

WHEN : Part 1 - October 16 - 23, 2005

WHERE: Anapra, Mexico (across the bridge from El Paso, Texas, just
northwest of Cuidad Juarez)

COST:   Sliding Scale $395-$475 (includes room and board and instruction)

CONTACT: For more information or to view our
website-www.worldhandsproject.org .

TO REGISTER: Email us your interest at worldhandsproject at yahoo.com
Questions? Contact Carolyn at WHP, 505-577-7831.

Registration begins August 20 spaces are limited - early registration is
advised

We are a non-profit organization, and a portion of the funds collected for
this workshop will be placed toward scholarships for local workers to attend

____________________________

CLINIC EXPANSION WEEK 2

Join us for the continuation of the above project as we work toward
completion of the clinic expansion. Week two will involve more of the
above, and will also include insulating and finishing the roof, applying
earthen plasters, electrical wiring and working on any detailing required
to finish the building to the best of our abilities during the workshop
dates.

WHEN : Part 2 - October 23 - 30, 2005

TO REGISTER: Email us your interest at worldhandsproject at yahoo.com
Questions? Contact Carolyn at WHP, 505-577-7831.

Registration begins August 20 spaces are limited - early registration is
advised

We are a non-profit organization, and a portion of the funds collected for
this workshop will be placed toward scholarships for local workers to
attend.

Attend one week or two! Cost for attending both weeks:

Sliding Scale $750 - $900

To remove yourself from the Builders Without Borders newsletter list, send
email to BWB at lists.builderswithoutborders.org with UNSUBSCRIBE in the SUBJECT
line.

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
sbpcnet at silcom.com
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order to
grow." - Anonymous