[Sdpg] Oct. 6, "City Repair" Project to speak in San Diego

SDECC & Permaculture Center sdecc at igc.org
Mon Oct 3 10:13:17 PDT 2005

Dear Friends of the San Diego Permaculture Center,

I just found out that speakers from Portland's famous "City Repair" project
will be in San Diego on Thursday, Oct. 6, 7pm.  See the announcement below.
Please RSVP to <tresmilusos at yahoo.com>.

Also, don't miss our event on Oct. 14, "Preventing Deadly Conflict:
Non-Military Solutions for Global Security".  For more info, see
http://sdecc.igc.org/20anniv2.html
Marcia Boruta

---Announcement---
A Mental Menudo SD Event

Special San Diego Presentation by
Mark Lakeman & Lydia Doleman
>From Portland, Oregon's City Repair Project
 www.cityrepair.org

Thursday, Oct. 6th  at 7 pm
Sherman Heights Community Center
2258 Island Ave., San Diego, CA 92102

Creating Sustainable and Livable Places through Community Activism and
Involvement in Urban Planning

The City Repair Project is an all-volunteer grassroots organization
helping people reclaim their urban spaces to create community-oriented places.

Born in 1996 out of a successful grassroots neighborhood initiative that
converted a residential street intersection into a neighborhood public
square, City Repair began its work with the idea that localization (of
culture, of economy, of decision-making) is a necessary foundation of
sustainability. Our projects are all aimed at building a more
community-oriented and ecologically sustainable society. By reclaiming
urban spaces to create community-oriented places, we plant the seeds for
greater neighborhood communication, empower our communities, nurture our
local culture and honor the interconnectedness of communities and the
natural environment.

Learn about:

Ecological and social sustainability * cultural identity and bioregionalism
* nonhierarchical decisionmaking * urban planning and design * community
resource localization * and more!

$5 suggested donation - no one turned away for lack of funds

Presented by Ilan Leal, Mental Menudo SD and the SOCC

The event is part of the Save Our Centro Coalition's Razafest Series.
Special thanks to the Sherman Heights Community Center, For more
information, call 619-234-3880, email pulsero at hotmail.com and
pocharte at aol.com, or visit  www.pocharte.com or www.saveourcentro.org.

San Diego Economic Conversion Council (SDECC)
San Diego Permaculture Center
sdecc at igc.org
http://sdecc.igc.org