[Sdpg] [starhawk] Supporting the work in New Orleans

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri Dec 2 06:31:41 PST 2005

[starhawk] Supporting the work  in New Orleans

Dear friends,

  If you ve been on this list for awhile, you ve been following our efforts
to support some of the exciting works of change  happening on our globe
today.  As I look back over the last year, I feel a definite change has
occurred, which has been reflected in my own work and that of the groups I
work with.

  A year ago we were reeling from the outcome of the elections dismayed at
how easily the vote could be manipulated, depressed at the thought of four
more years of the Bush administration, and disgusted that, rigged or not,
millions of people actually did vote for the guy.

Now the Republican agenda is imploding.  It almost seems as if the country
has woken up, shaken off some kind of spell of befuddlement, and returned
to a bit of clarity.

  But this change has come at a terrible cost thousands of lives in Iraq,
bodies floating in the streets of New Orleans, more subtle deaths from
poverty and cutbacks in all the support systems that support the poor.

  My own work has taken some surprising turns.  I expected to, and did,
teach permaculture courses in support of the G8 actions in Scotland, and
help set up an ecovillage there for the thousands of protestors who
arrived.  I thought I might go to Argentina for the FTAA, to the Climate
Change conference happening now in Montreal, even to Hong Kong for the WTO
meetings.

  Instead, I went to Camp Crawford to support Cindy Sheehan, and to New
Orleans to help with relief, rebuilding and bioremediation efforts
there.  In the vacuum left by official negligence and outright hostility,
local grassroots groups like the Common Ground Collective began to
self-organize garbage pickup, distribution of supplies, medical
care.  Their efforts are tremendously exciting, because they bring the
skills we ve developed organizing convergences and encampments to bear in
supporting some of the most disenfranchised people in this land, and
transforming a disaster area into an arena of hope.

  That work will continue this year.  The Alliance for Community Trainers,
our new 501c3 organization, will help support efforts to clean up New
Orleans using the natural methods of bioremediation: using bacteria, plants
and fungi to break down toxins and restore the health of the soil.  A
report on our first phase can be found on my website, www.starhawk.org
<http://www.starhawk.org/> .  Our next phase, this winter and spring, will
expand our efforts and include a training program for local people, with
the aim of forming a worker s collective who can carry on the healing work
as a source of right livelihood.

  And the lessons we learn in New Orleans will be invaluable for the
future.  For climate change is real, and more hurricanes will come. Social
safety networks have been dismantled, all over the globe, and more systems
are likely to collapse. The skills of healing, growing and organizing will
be needed more than ever.

  But the work needs resources.  So once again, I m asking you to share
some of yours.  A donation to ACT is tax-deductible, and will go to support
this valuable work.  ACT will help fund the bioremediation efforts in New
Orleans, including training and documenting the work and producing
materials that can be used by others.  ACT will fund scholarships to our
Earth Activist Trainings that combine a permaculture design course with a
focus on organizing skills and a grounding in earth-based
spirituality.  And ACT will help provide the training and organizing
support for actions and mobilizations on issues of global justice and peace.

  You can donate online at my website, www.starhawk.org
<http://www.starhawk.org/> .  Or you can send a check made out to ACT to
1405 Hillmont; Austin, Texas 78704.  Checks can be earmarked for special
projects, like scholarships or bioremediation.  Online donations will go
wherever funds are most needed.  Both are tax deductible.

  We have over $16,000 in scholarship requests for the January EAT course,
and others coming up in May in California, July in England and September in
Missouri.  www.earthactivisttraining.org
<http://www.earthactivisttraining.org/> .  We need funds to set up
biobrewers, spawn farms, to support trainings and produce visual materials
and videos that can explain the biology to people who lack formal
education.  And we need funds to help respond to issues and emergencies in
the coming year.

  I know many of us are short on funds this year.  But money is like seed
it needs to be spread to grow.  A donation to ACT will seed  projects that
will return their value ten times over in health, empowerment, and
hope.  We receive no government support nor big foundation grants we depend
on individuals like you to make our projects possible.  Thank you for
helping us to continue this vital work.

  Starhawk

www.starhawk.org <http://www.starhawk.org/>

  And if you are looking for holiday cards to send, or gifts, check out our
CafePress stores that also support these vital projects:

  http://www.cafepress.com/earthactivist/?pid=4130928

  http://www.cafepress.com/belili/?pid=4130928
This post has been sent to you from Starhawk at lists.riseup.net.  This is an
announce-only listserve that allows Starhawk to post her writings
occasionally to those who wish to receive them.

To subscribe to this list, send an email to
Starhawk-subscribe at lists.riseup.net.

Starhawk is a lifelong activist in peace and global justice movements, a
leader in the feminist and earth-based spirituality movements, author or
coauthor of ten books, including The Spiral Dance, The Fifth Sacred Thing,
Webs of Power: Notes from the Global Uprising, and her latest, The Earth
Path.

Starhawk's website is www.starhawk.org, and more of her writings and
information on her schedule and activities can be found there.