[Sdpg] NEW Natural Building Network. Website

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Jan 1 11:09:34 PST 2006

http://www.naturalbuildingnetwork.org/

Welcome to the Natural Building Network.  This is a community dedicated to
bringing together Natural Builders and those living in and longing to live
in healthy, inspiring and responsible buildings.

What is Natural Building? Put simply, buildings made with the materials
humans have been using to create habitat for thousands of years.  As author
and builder Michael G. Smith says, " ...the earth and stones beneath our
feet, the trees and grasses that grow nearby.

The Natural Building Renaissance is growing in a way that it's pioneers
could hardly have imagined.  The materials that have inspired in centuries
past have are again inspiring a new generation of builders, homeowners and
communities to create healthy, affordable and environmentally sound buildings.

Here are some of the materials included in Natural Building:
Cob, Adobe, Straw Bale, Compressed Earth, Bamboo, Stone Masonry, Earthbags,
Light-Clay, Timber Framing, Wattle & Daub, Cordwood Masonry, Natural
Insulation, Earthen Floors, Hemp, Fidobe, Thatch, Living Roofs, Earthen
Plasters and Lime.

Why create the Natural Building Network?

  For many years Natural Builders have been working together to advance the
knowledge of Natural Building and to share it with others.  In the past 12
years, each year, and recently twice a year, the Natural Building
Colloquium has been held in the United States to provide a place to
collaborate, share information, present ideas, build things and have a
great time. It has usually been a week-long event.

A week or two a year is not enough.  Many have asked for a place to meet
year-round.  The Natural Building Network is here to meet that need.

Imagine an organization, visible through a website and personal phone
contact, where Natural Builders can gather to share ideas, announce events
and opportunities, and where the public can find skilled help and accurate
and up-to-date information. The Natural Building Network has been created
to be such a place.

Soon, through your support, we will be able to provide the most
comprehensive resource on Natural Building available in one place. With
your help, we will have tools available where you might enter your zip code
into a search engine and find a listing of trained builders, contractors,
teachers, workshops or skilled volunteers near you with whom you can build,
learn or collaborate.

Soon, through your support, we will help facilitate Natural Building guilds
throughout the US and Canada.  We will have technical data for engineers,
architects, contractors and subcontractors. We will dedicate a portion of
our funding to support low income projects and builders.  We will help
builders connect and mobilize in the event of natural disaster. Will will
work to improve the relationships between Natural Builders,  building
officials and policymakers.

Our intent is to create community locally while networking regionally and
nationally.  We are here to provide a place for your community.  So thank
you for stopping in to learn more.  Please take another moment to become a
supporter. Your physical, emotional and temporal support of Natural
Building is making the world a more renewable and sustainable place. Your
financial support of the Natural Building Network is so important in
helping us strengthen our community connections.

We are a non-profit company of friends supporting your work. Please join
the network, bookmark this page, give us a call or drop an email and help
build the Natural Building Network today.

Thank you.

Jack Stephens
Director

Join the Network!

The Natural Building Network is here to help you stay connected to your
community.  We do this by providing up-to-date information on workshops,
professional builders, consultants, architects, building codes, volunteer
opportunities, and more.

If you are a builder, contractor, teacher, skilled laborer, volunteer,
consultant, designer, developer, or need something built you can benefit
from the promotion of your service or project through our  telephone
information service and on NaturalBuildingNetwork.org.

This work is funded through the financial support of our contributors.

With Your Annual Contribution You Will Receive These Benefits:

Promotion of your service, product, workshop or program online and through
our information service.

Announcement of your building opportunities and other classified ads
related to Natural Building.

Your work will be brought to the attention of the Natural Building
community and to the public.

You will have access to online discussion forums specific to Natural Building.

You will receive a free back issue of The Last Straw Journal and The
CobWeb, two outstanding publications dedicated to Natural Building.

Please Join Today!

$27 individual
$47 organization

*Donor: Supporting: $100 & up, Sustaining: $ 250 & up, Sponsoring: $500 & up

*Any contribution above the annual fee is tax-deductible.

***Don't let the cost of membership stop you from becoming a member!  Our
goal is to make this service accessible to everyone. Please contact us for
alternative ways to contribute. For example: work trade, office
supplies/machines, data entry, network promotion, etc.

Please make checks payable to Networks Productions/NBN and mail to Natural
Building Network, PO Box 372, Cottage Grove, Oregon, 97424

If you'd like to make a credit card donation, or have questions, please
email: mail at naturalbuildingnetwork.org

or call 541-942-8359.

FEATURES

Find a Natural Builder