[Sdpg] Housing Special Issue of Hopedance Mar/April 2006

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Jan 23 12:46:20 PST 2006

hi everyone
The next issue will be a SPECIAL ISSUE ON HOUSING #55 Mar/Apr 2006 , See
guidelines for submission and ideas to write about housing below . A PDF
downloaded issue is now available  on line new, last issue #54 see near end
of email
         wes

Due Date is Feb 10

Due date for submissions Feb 10 please submit to Wes Roe SB/Ventura Editor
lakinroe at silcom.com or Bob Banner Publisher of Hopedance
hopedance at aol.com  visit website www.hopedance.org

***DEADLINE FOR ARTICLES, POEMS, CARTOONS, BOOK AND VIDEO REVIEWS, Santa
Barbara COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS AND MORE FOR VENTURA AND SB COUNTY is
Feb  10 FOR Mar/Apr 2006

DEADLINE FOR ISSUE FEB 10

Please submit articles, cartoons, essays, book reviews, stories, poems,
announcements of events, and ideas for Santa Barbara and Ventura Hopedance
that deals with articles etc specific to our area. Article should be around
800 words with pictures or up to 1,200, short articles of 250-300 are
encouraged too, and also writeups of 100 -250 words for our new shorts
section . Check with the Editor about submissions you are writing,
Wes Roe lakinroe at silcom.com

IMPORTANT REMINDER
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE to help provide financial support for the Media you would
like to see in your community (1 year 6 issues $20 mail to Hopedance PO Box
15609 San Luis Obispo Ca 93406)
Thanks Wes Roe lakinroe at silcom.com Editor Ventura, SB Hopedance
and the SB and Ventura Collective of Hopedance Supporters of
Writers,Editors and Distributors

HOPEDANCE IN VENTURA COUNTY
And in Ventura , Oxnard, and Thousand Oaks area for Hopedance Meetings and
Distribution gatherings contact "Rachel Morris"
<rachelmorris at earthlink.net> (805)648-1267
And Community Announcements in Ventura Community please submit to margaret
morris <mrgrtmorris at sbcglobal.net>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
DESCRIPTION OF HOUSING ISSUE #55 Mar/Apr 2006

Can you tell us more about the Housing issue? Are you looking for
articles on new types of housing (strawbale, etc) or the economic angle
on housing (ie, the housing bubble, lack of affordable ones, etc)?

What we are doing right now is sortof updating what we have already done in
previous issues: basically the basics of our life: Food, Energy, Housing...We
just did another food issue, this one is on energy (we did one on energy about
5 years ago); and now the same thing with housing.. check out what we did back
then at http://www.hopedance.org/archive/issue28/toc.htm
this new issue will be an "update":

1. projects that have worked well for BOTH sustainability and affordability,
like in the new film we just showed called DESIGNING A GREAT NEIGHBORHOOD (go
to http://www.bullfrogfilms.com/catalog/dagn.html for details about the Wild
Sage Cohousing Project that is not only affordable but very close to zero
emission! [in Boulder])

2. campaigns from various cities that are dealing with shelter in a prog
ressive way (especially cities (or countries) that have accepted that peak
oil is
here)

3. perhaps a story about dignity village in portland

4. am having some local reporters report on the bridge street project in SLO
that comes close to the BOTH factor (you might remember the photo model of the
inverted roof on our cover page that will be used to collect water).

5. A summary of the 5 "sustainable dwellings" in the current issue of dwell
magazine.

6. reviews of books that relate to natural building, i.e., econest

7. speaking to the people who want to move more into the natural building
aspect of construction and where they can go fopr classes and training..
always
trying to bridge that gap between the lonely pioneering individuals and whats
happening on campuses and in rural areas as well as progressive cities making
some changes so we can keep seeing that not only another world is possible but
that its happening right here and now

8. perhaps an update on the village buuilding convergence in portland.

9. julian darleys coming out with a new book that might be relevant
1
0. hopefully I can get a snippet 15 minute cut from the new escape from
suburbia film in the works to show to both communities (SB and SLO).

11. I have someone writing about a sustainable housing tour they did and are
going to be doing in Sonoma Counties.. the ripple / daily acts people. are you
familiar with them?

12. any other ideas please press reply all.
thanks
bob banner
feb 10th is the due date for the march april HOUSING ISSUE

essays,
updates of local energy companies,
poems,
new laws,
interviews,
articles,
reviews,
announcements,
films,
events,
meetings.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The  new issue #54 of HDance is now totally in PDF form

To make it even easier for peope to read HopeDance, we are now making the
entire issue (including the photos, ads, listings, poems, etc.) accessible
in a
downloadable PDF format.. the ENTIRE issue, 48 pages is now downloadable
for the physically challenged,
for those who may not acquant coffee shops,
who dont subscribe,
who live outside the area and cannot get them for free..
or for a plethora of other reasons.
Just click underneath the letter to Sonoma/Medo readers and you will be able
to read everything online. You can even print it out if you really need to. Of
course it gets smaller if you try to print it on letter size paper. But now
you will be able to see the photos, the ads, and all the information about the
films plus the photos.
Thanks
Bob Banner

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The printed version is already out there but just wanted to let everyone know
that the issue  #54 Energy is ONLINE as well. thanks JC from calvertdesign.com
go to
http://www.hopedance.org/new/issues/54/index.html
for a list of all the online articles.
IF you really enjoy hopedance and have never cntributed, perhaps this is a
good time to do something. here are some ways, if you wish this publication to
keep goiong:
1. check out the advertisers and if you pourchase something let them know you
saw it in hopedance
2. buy a subscription: $10 for 6 issues (that deal is short-lived so act now)
3. go online and buy films, clothes, T-shirts and shoes from green
businesses. we get a % from each of your purchases.
4. buy a film pass for $20 (value $25)... 5 films
5. "rent" a film from our nearing 300 films collection at the HopeDance
Library
thanks
bob banner