[Sdpg] Abdul Kareem’s Desert Oasis

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Feb 6 09:43:53 PST 2006

Abdul Kareem's Desert Oasis http://www.gvnr.com/107/1.htm

Through perseverance and dedication a thirty-two acre plot of land near the
village of Puliamkulam in the Kasargod district of India has been
transformed from a barren and desert landscape in to a lush and flourishing
forest that's not only brought life to this once arid area but has given
the soil the stability required for a water table to form.

Using his savings earned from his working in various jobs across India
Abdul Kareem has single handedly created his own forest. Buying a five-acre
area of land in 1977 when returning to his place of birth in the Kasargod
region of India Abdul began planting what has now become a thriving forest.
Local land owners who had little use for what they thought to be unfertile
land were more than willing to sell of parts of the hillside who's
potential Abdul alone could see. "I would walk around the area and see
barren hill sides," he says. "It was a heartache of a sight and yet the
pull on me was strong. I suddenly realised that I had often, though only
for brief moments, dreamt of the Kaavu of India's collective memory. They
were the Sacred Groves that every village had once upon a time. I had been
told of them as a child. I think I had sub consciously yearned for one."

For three years Abdul spent his summers ferrying water to the hillside in
cans strapped to his motorbike as the small well situated on the land was
unable to put up with the increasing demand. Becoming the laughing stock of
the local community did not deter Abdul and in his third year of work on
the forest his tenacity paid off, the water level in the well began to
rise. This initial success caused by the solidity the tree's brought to the
soil rapidly snowballed, the news foliage provided a heaven for birds who
inadvertently brought new verities of seeds to the area. Now the forest,
though still growing is immense and due to Abduls resolution that people
stick to the designated pathways has become dense and wild.

Never weeding or sweeping the leaves Abdul has made a point of keeping the
forest completely natural, "Plastic bags are strictly prohibited. No eating
and drinking. Walk through pathways only." He says, and justifiably so as
the forest is not only a labor of love but for that past ten years has been
his and his families home. "My rewards are the highly mineralised,
herbalised water, the fragrant air, the daily walks through the woods, a
healthy life and an enormous peace," he says. Since moving to the forest
neither Abdul nor any of his family has been in I'll health, a lifestyle
they are keen to share and with Abduls permission several other families
has built houses on the outskirts of the forest.

Perhaps the biggest way in which the forest has benefited the surrounding
community has been it's water bringing ability, the well that once took
prolonged amounts of time to recover from it's five liter capacity being
drained is now full to the brim and overflows for weeks after the monsoon
subsides. The forest also provides a means for local families to gain
water, 75 of which depend on the wells.

The work of Abdul has not gone unrecognised and he has now received
numerous accolades including the "Jalamithra" award for excellence in water
conservation. Though the application forms given to him for the ministry of
environment's Virkshamitra award five years ago still lie untouched, he
says "Living happily in this forest is a reward in
itself. So why seek others."

Contact:
www.goodnewsindia.com
www.forests.org

This is one of many stories available from Positive News newspaper. For
more stories like this please visit: www.positivenews.org.uk

(In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is
distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in
receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.)