[Sdpg] Permaculture First Responder Design Course August 18-27 and Oct 13-15 Carmel Valley, Big Sur, CA

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Jun 14 07:47:21 PDT 2006

Permaculture First Responder Course

Carmel Valley, Big Sur, CA

Dates:    August 18-27 and Oct 13-15

Location: James Creek Farm in Carmel Valley and in Big Sur

Description;      Come gather the necessary tools for
responding in times of natural disasters and technological shifts
using Permaculture principles, ethics and practices.
This 96 hour course will certify participants in Permaculture design,
CPR and First Aid. Students will develop skills to respond as communities
undergo stress and extremes do to changes in the environment. These
include  eco-base camp design, organic gardening, soil building, water
catchment,natural building, eco-forestry, mycorestoration, group
facilitation and conflict resolution, appropriate technologies, herbal
remedies, wilderness awareness, emergency response and much more!.

Instructors: The RITES Team, Benjamin Fahrer, Kat Steele, Erik Ohlsen,
Starhawk, Brock Dolman, Trathen Heckman and Wilderness Medical Institute
Instructors

                  Tuition-    $1125-$1550
                  Organic meals and camping included
                  Contact:    The RITES project
                                     707-360-7060
                                     www.urbanpermacultureguild.org/pfr.

**Extended info and details of this course below

Permaculture First Responder                            PFRDC
Design Certification Course                             P.O Box 96
Occidental, Ca 95465
(707) 360 – 7060
www.urbanpermacultureguild.org/pfr

For the first time ever, a certification course in Ecological Design and
Permaculture, including Wilderness Medicine, CPR, and First Aid  will be
held in Carmel Valley/ Big Sur  this August and October.

This diverse course will empower its participants with skills to design,
prepare  and respond with confidence and efficiency using ecologically
sound practices and principles.

What if three days of stored food and water just wasn’t enough?  As the
climate shifts, our planet has responded with more frequent and dramatic
natural events such as Tsunamis, earthquakes, hurricanes, floods and
droughts. We need to prepare for a shift towards a society less dependant
upon fossil fuels. As communities, we need to be able to respond quickly
and effectively when calamities hit locally, as our government and public
services have increasingly shown us they are severely under-equipped to
handle these events on their own.
“Given the critical state of our planet’s life support systems, as well as
the precarious nature of our oil-based economy, it’s vital that we learn
the skills to cope with climate change and community crisis,” says Kat
Steele, founder of the Urban Permaculture Guild. “This course will provide
participants with the practical knowledge and the confidence they need to
organize our communities towards more sustainable systems – from growing
their own food to more thoughtful use of water and energy.”

What and How:   Permaculture is a design system that is part of the
solution rather than the problem.  The Permaculture First Responder Design
course (PFRDC) is set up in such a way that it merges all the topics and
curriculum of a Permaculture Design Course with the format and practical
skills of a Wilderness First Responder course.
<http://www.nols.edu/wmi>http://www.nols.edu/<http://www.nols.edu/wmi>wmi/
Combined, this format provides valuable training, a diverse skill set, and
empowerment to those members of the community willing to become the key
people best suited to actively stabilize situations and to come up with an
appropriate regenerative design plan to implement solutions. These skills
include organic farming and soil building, natural building, eco-base camp
design, water catchment and aquaculture, bioremediation and
mycorestoration, group decision making, facillitation and conflict
resolution, renewable energies and appropriate technologies, plant guilds,
wilderness awareness, primitive technologies, and emergency response.

Why: Given the natural disasters that have occurred worldwide in the past
few years, we are at the precipice of an amazing opportunity. By utilizing
bioremediation and permaculture principles we can learn to transform our
most pressing challenges in any situation.  “Let’s reclaim our power to
create a better world for ourselves and future generations. Ever since I
discovered the exponential power of living systems to regenerate water and
soil, and transform pollution into solutions, I have dedicated my life to
exploring, learning, and teaching about the mutually beneficial
relationships found in nature.” says Mia Rose, co-founder of The RITES
Project.

Who:  This training is for people who recognize it’s time to step up and
take positive action for care of our culture and our planet. Whether you
are a beginner or a seasoned practitioner of permaculture, this course will
offer you new insights that are sure to be beneficial in many different
settings and scenarios.
Instructors:  Benjamin Fahrer, Katherine Steele, Erik Ohlsen,
Starhawk,  Brock Dolman, Mia Rose, Patrick Garretson, Devin Stubblefield,
Trathen Heckman, Heidi Hampe, Marty Falkenstein, and WMI instructors.

Where:  The setting for this training is located at. James Creek Farm (JCF
) in Monterey County, Ca, on the road to Tassajara Zen Mountain Center, JCF
is situated at the headwaters of the Carmel River at 3850 feet over looking
both the Carmel, Big Sur and Salinas watersheds.  The 12-acre farm has 1.5
acres in bio-intensive market garden production and is part of a 145-acre
private ranch that borders the Ventana Wilderness. and Los Padres National
Forest. Breathtaking views span over the Santa Lucia Mountains, the
Monterey Peninsula and Salinas valley. Field trips include: hiking in the
Ventana, a day visit to the Buddhist Community of Tassajara, including
visiting hot springs and local homesteads, the Ecological Restoration
practices of Rana Creek and training Scenarios in both Carmel Valley and on
the Big Sur Coast. This is a remote location, therefore a Bio-diesel
shuttle to and from the Bay Area is being made available.

When : This training is to take place over a 10 day intensive, August 18
–27, and a 3-day completing weekend, October13-15 of 2006.  In between
these two dates action plans and design projects will be worked on and
implemented, including community education, preparation, and empowerment.
These projects include a permaculture design  at Tassajara and a Biodiesel
caravan going to Burning Man in order to create a permaculture camp there.
If you can’t make this course, we are planning on offering this training
through collaboration with organizations and colleges such as the New
College of California and in Jamaica in the Spring 2007. We will also be
giving a series of free talks around the Bay area.  Check our website for
updates.

Cost: $1125 - $1550
All Organic Meals and Rugged Lodging Included
If you would like to donate a Tax Deductible donation
to our scholarship fund please contact us

Registration: www.urbanpermacultureguild.org/pfr