[Sdpg] Eat In, Act Out Week 7/31-8/6

SDECC & Permaculture Center sdecc at igc.org
Sun Jul 30 10:05:56 PDT 2006

Dear Friends of SDECC & the SD Permaculture Center,

This week is national "Eat In - Act Out" week, an annual event to encourage
communities to eat locally grown food and take action to change our
unsustainable food system.  San Diego events are being hosted by two food
security collaboratives: San Diego ROOTS and San Diego Food Not Lawns.

San Diego County has the 2nd highest number of small farms in the
United States, yet very little local produce is used in our restaurants or
sold in our markets.  Instead our produce is shipped away, while the average
store-bought fruit or vegetable has travelled over 1500 miles to our plate!

The week of free local events includes a "Tomato Taste-Off," a food-filled
film festival, entertainment, and local foods literature at each event. The
schedule of events is below.

Hope to see you there!
Marcia Boruta
SDECC & SD Permaculture Center

SAN DIEGO "EAT IN - ACT OUT" SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

Monday Tomato Taste-Off:  Horton Plaza on Broadway from 11:30am-1:30pm.
We will host 'tomato taste offs' between fresh Fallbrook tomatoes and
ones that traveled 1,500 miles to our stores.
Guest performers:  The San Diego Puppet Insurgency

Tuesday Film Festival:  Earth on Edge, a Bill Moyers documentary
The Unitarian Church, 4190 Front St., Hillcrest, 7-9:30pm

Wednesday Film Festival:  Supersize Me!
Outdoor showing at Adams Ave. Park and Rec Center, 3491 Adams Ave.,
8pm.  Guest performers:  The San Diego Puppet Insurgency

Thursday Film Festival:  The Future of Food
The Courtyard at Kung Food Restaurant, 2949 5th Ave., 8pm

Friday Restaurant Challenge:
We are sponsoring a local foods restaurant challenge; on this day local
chefs will pay homage to San Diego's farmers.

For more information, contact SDFoodNotLawns at gmail.com
or visit the San Diego ROOTS website:  www.sandiegoroots.org.

San Diego Economic Conversion Council (SDECC)
San Diego Permaculture Center
sdecc at igc.org
http://sdecc.igc.org