[Sdpg] Sexto Sol Center’s Sustainable Food Production Program Chiapas Mexico NEDS PC Teachers

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Aug 7 08:06:34 PDT 2006

http://www.sextosol.org/rancho_terra_linda.shtml

VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
We seek permaculture teachers with international experience interested in
providing technical support to people enrolled in the Sexto Sol Center’s
Permaculture projects. People with knowledge in Organic and Biointensive
Methods are welcome. Volunteers who can help maintain the vegetable
production and plant tree seedlings are also welcome. People with knowledge
about alternative energy are invited to come establish an appropriate
system. Contact tamara at sextosol.org

SUSTAINABLE FOOD PRODUCTION PROGRAM
Promoting permaculture as an answer to malnutrition and an alternative to
chemical based farming

The Sexto Sol Center’s Sustainable Food Production Program aims to reduce
malnutrition and eliminate the use of agro-chemicals through education that
teaches people how to grow their own food organically. The Sexto Sol Center
promotes an alternative model of farming that combines biointensive,
organic farming methods with the principles of permaculture. This model of
sustainable food production offers great promise for improving production,
restoring environmental integrity, improving nutrition and enhancing
farmers’ ability to earn a dignified living.

In this introductory section we provide context on the challenge of world
hunger and describe the problems associated with the way people farm in the
Sierra Madre. A description follows of Sexto Sol educational program at the
Escuela de Agroecologia y Permacultura Tierra Linda in Motozintla and our
work to establish permaculture garden projects at schools serving
indigenous communities.

Food Security is the measure of how stable the sources of food are for a
particular region. Ideally, local farmers and home gardeners produce enough
nutritious food to provide an adequate diet for the people living there.

Hunger in a world of plenty is the result of an ethical “starvation” at the
core of human affairs.

According to the United Nations, 800 million people live in hunger. This
astounding crisis is the result of mismanagement of natural resources and a
distribution policy within and between nations that leaves people in the
countryside in severe poverty. In India an average of six hundred farmers a
year commit suicide because of the despair of not being able to pay their
debts. This is not simply an unfortunate reality. It should be seen as
compelling evidence of the failure of human society.

The Earth can produce what we need to live well. Hunger is caused by our
institutions, our trading system and our sense of separation from fellow
human beings. The good news is that given the fact that hunger is a human
caused phenomenon, we therefore have the ability to eliminate it. We invite
you to consider your participation in the existence of hunger. We hope you
will then work toward building the necessary political consensus that will
lead to the changes that are required.

A person comes into this world to learn and to reach their potential as a
human being. Among all of the people co-inhabiting the planet with us right
now, 800 million are suffering from lack of food. Consider this, that the
challenge of hunger is not only about the needs of the hungry but also
about the need of those of us with our bellies full to reach our own
potential as human beings by acting proactively on behalf of others.
The Problems with Agro-Chemicals: poor yields, health risks, water
contamination
Farming is the main activity in the Sierra Madre of Chiapas, which is
considered to be one of the most impoverished regions of Mexico. The
ancient, sustainable ways of producing food still practiced by the Lacandon
Maya have long been replaced here by farming methods that cause
environmental destruction and perpetuate poverty.

Small scale campesino farmers lack access to the resources and information
that would enable them to have better success with the cash crops they
grow. They typically rely heavily on chemical fertilizers, pesticides and
herbicides to remedy problems in their fields. Substances banned in the
U.S. are available here or brought in from nearby Guatemala. Spraying with
paraquat one of the infamous "dirty dozen", has replaced the traditional
practice of using a hoe. The chemical is highly toxic to birds and is a
serious health risk to farmers. It adheres to soil and when the fields are
burned, can produce a very toxic smoke for up to thirteen years after it is
applied.

Technical “advice” for farmers from government development agencies usually
promotes chemical remedies. Farmers are generally unaware of the dangers of
using these chemicals and do not use any protective clothing when spraying.
Typically the fumigating pump and the chemicals are kept along with the
other tools in the living areas of their houses. It is common to hear of
poisonings from the mishandling of these toxic substances.

With thousands of farmers fumigating their crops throughout this
mountainous region, these poisons wash into the drainage affecting fish
populations and seriously contaminating the water supply for the City of
Motozintla and the many communities downstream. Most people simply boil
this water for drinking and cooking, killing bacteria but concentrating the
soluble chemicals. The foods farmers supply to the population of the region
have chemical residues.
“If you farm only corn, you will harvest only poverty”

Most farming families raise one crop a year of corn and some beans on steep
un-terraced slopes. Their land lies fallow during the 6 months of the dry
season. Soils are generally exhausted from over dependence on chemical
fertilizers. In the spring after months of rainless weather, farmers burn
the corn stalks to prepare for planting. This practice destroys organic
matter further degrading soil quality. Poor soils yield sickly plants that
are more susceptible to pest infestation. The farmers use chemicals to
combat these pests. It is a vicious cycle.

In 1998, the practice of burning the fields in the dry season quickly
sparked fires in the hot, dry hillsides. Large-scale fires damaged
remaining stands of old-growth cloud forest as they burned uncontrolled for
weeks. Yet each spring the burning begins again. The forests continue to
disappear under the machete as people look for new areas to farm. With less
forest cover, underground water levels have decreased. Springs that were
once reliable no longer provide enough water.

Rural people use their land this way because they do not know of other
alternatives. They live in poverty without knowing how to reach a better
quality of life.
Creating food security one household at a time for a better future for the
children

La Escuela de Agro-Ecología “Tierra Linda” is located on a ridge about a 15
minute walk from the center of Motozintla with a sweeping view of the river
basin below and the dramatic rise of the Sierra Madre on all sides. Founded
in 1999, at Escuela Tierra Linda we have provided training free of charge
to over 800 small-scale peasant farmers, students, health promoters, and
community members. We invite government agencies to the School to suggest
that development programs should encourage food self-sufficiency on a
household level and that it is possible to achieve without the use of toxic
chemicals. Governor Salazar recently announced the new policy of promoting
this model of as the answer to poverty. The Sexto Sol Center has been doing
so since 1997.

The farm is a north-facing slope on a severely eroded ridge and is typical
of many deforested areas in the Sierra Madre. This unlikely spot has proven
to be an excellent site for demonstrating how to return fertility to
damaged land. Using organic soil building methods we have been able to
transform this previously unproductive site into an attractive homestead
where the productivity actually increases over time, much to the surprise
of local people who remember what it was like only a few years ago.

We show visitors how to build small dams called swales to catch water at
our Parque Ecologico where we have been regenerating a deforested hillside.
They can see native orchids and other forest plants in the small botanical
garden kept humid with filtered gray water and shaded by an arbor of
prolific edible chayote plants.

Land of this size, 1½ hectares, is usually planted only with corn. By
contrast the School demonstrates how a small parcel can be made much more
productive by growing fruit and nut trees, fish, poultry, vegetables and
medicinal plants. The “huerto familiar” or family vegetable garden shows
that by managing well a small area, a family can produce a significant
amount of nutritious organic produce.

Escuela Tierra Linda fills the need for a facility that serves as a “living
classroom” to give people hands-on training. Farmers can observe our
vegetable and fruit production and see how compost is made. They can come
repeatedly to see how the methods function over time, how we resolved pest
problems and to receive help with problems they encounter with their own
crops. The program has been made possible by the generous support of the
Stanley Smith Horticultural Trust. Other major contributors have been
Patagonia and the Rosenlund Family.

Permaculture, Biointensive and Organic Farming
The Sexto Sol Center actively promotes permaculture as a way to bring
creativity and common sense to bear on how to use limited resources and
solve site-specific problems caused by wind, poor soil, slope, and drought.
We show people how they can produce an abundance of foods while at the same
time creating a system where wastes are recycled, water is used wisely and
energy consumption is reduced. In practice, permaculture creates a stable
system that mimics nature and is therefore sustainable.

At Escuela Tierra Linda we also teach biointensive, organic methods that
rely on continually replenishing of the soil with compost, green manure,
and other natural means. Properly practiced, the yields are higher than
average and water consumption is less. This method is recognized as a
promising alternative to chemical-based agriculture for small-scale
vegetable and grain production in developing countries.

While people usually expect to be taught how to do these things, we are
commited to providing them with enough information so that they can
understand the natural processes involved. We believe that this level of
horticultural education in the necessary to empower farmers and food
gardeners to make good choices for managing their crops. It also is a
delightful way to help people open up to the wonders of the natural world
and to contribute to creating an ethic of stewardship.

Once coffee-growing families establish their own permaculture system they
will be freed from worry about basic survival and improve the quality of
their lives.

We provide services to these institutions at Tierra Linda:
Centro de Recuperacion Nutricional – Mothers of malnourished children -
workshops on child development, women’s self esteem, gender issues in
child-rearing, and how to grow vegetables.

Instituto Mexicano de Seguidad Social–training in how to make family
gardens to 180 health promoters for 350 communities, created demonstration
garden at the hospital with high school students.

UNICACH – Scientific University of Chiapas, Agroecology majors - to invite
students to be part of the solution in their future careers.

Public School & pre-schools - environmental education for all ages.

CEBETIS, Trained the faculty of the Technical high school in how to
incorporate environmental themes in the curriculum.

Demonstration gardens for remote mountain schools: Empowering families to
eliminate malnutrition
Two major challenges prevent children from impoverished indigenous
communities from developing both physically and intellectually - chronic
malnutrition and the lack of schools. Most children in the Sierra Madre
suffer severe malnutrition. This intolerable public health situation does
not bode well for the future of the region. In addition, these communities
have only primary schools that are typically under-funded, teachers are
frequently absent and the overall quality of education is very poor. It is
not uncommon for some children to walk as much as 2 hours each way to get
to school.

Albergue Providencia: provides housing in Motozintla for 45 girls from
communities without schools. Parents can not pay all that is needed to feed
the girls so we are designing a system of planters to provide growing space
on the large cement patio. With funds provided by the Sierra Club, Beyond
the Borders Mexico Projects we built two large planters on the cement
patio, where snowpeas, garlic, lettuce, herbs, squash and more are already
poking through the soil. In 2003, we provided a workshop on permaculture to
the parents of these girls.

Escuela Secundaria Tecnica #122 Bajucu serves children from 10
Tojolobal-speaking indigenous communities located near Las Margaritas in
Chiapas. Escuela #122 has a very large area that is not under any
production. Sexto Sol is working with students and teachers to establish a
food production system using the principles of Permaculture. Part of the
project will be to improve the inadequate dormitories and to make the
school more attractive with edible landscaping. We are seeking funds to
build a greenhouse to extend the growing season. Currently the local diet
does not include vegetables resulting in malnutrition. The school will
become a source of vegetables for the local community.

In September, 2003 we launched the project to create a permaculture system
to produce food for the boarders and to serve as the demonstration of
sustainable food production. We showed a video of permaculture projects
from around the world to 200 parents with enthusiastic reception.
Volunteers will be placed at the school to incorporate students in the
project.

PHOTOS TO APPEAR HERE SOON

Maximizing benefits: In general Sexto Sol projects aim to maximize
beneficial outcomes by working on several levels at once. In the case of
the Escuela #122, the immediate benefits will be an improvement in the
living conditions and diet of the children and the creation of a source of
much needed income for the school that is insecure about its future as the
Director retires. Our involvement will enhance the curriculum and provide
support the young, committed teachers who have worked with inadequate
resources. But the most lasting benefit will be that the school will serve
as a powerful demonstration of how to become food self-sufficient on a
household basis for the 267 families whose children attend the school.

We have a goal to raise $8,000 for the first phase of this project.

The second phase will be the important work of addressing the serious
impact of a recent clear cut of the nearby pine forest by a foreign logging
company. In the year since the logging, the river has dried up and the
aquifer is seriously depleted. We plan to establish a large-scale pine
nursery and involve the children in planting the trees. In this way, we
will create a generation that will never allow the forest to be cut again.

VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
We seek permaculture teachers with international experience interested in
providing technical support to people enrolled in the Sexto Sol Center’s
Permaculture projects. People with knowledge in Organic and Biointensive
Methods are welcome. Volunteers who can help maintain the vegetable
production and plant tree seedlings are also welcome. People with knowledge
about alternative energy are invited to come establish an appropriate system.

For more information, contact the Field Office
tamara at sextosol.org

Field Office:
Apartado Postal 64, Motozintla, Chiapas, CP 30900, Mexico
Phone: +52 (962) 707-4744

US Office:
3514 E. Contessa, Mesa, Arizona, 85213-7036
Phone: +1 (480) 854-7583