[Sdpg] Ensuring Food Security in Belize: Permaculture Course Feb 07

L.Santoyo Designs santoyo at earthflow.com
Mon Sep 4 18:55:08 PDT 2006

A Learning & Working Vacation in Southern Belize...

Permaculture Design Certificate Course: Ensuring Food Security
Maya Mountain Research Center -Punta Gorda, Belize

http://earthflow.com/mayaposter.pdf

February 11 - 25, 2007

$1200.00 US  -includes tuition, field trip expeditions, meals and
accommodations.

Instructors:
Toby Hemenway <www.patternliteracy.com>
Larry Santoyo <www.earthflow.com>
with local guests

To register contact:
<info at mmrfbl.org>

Maya Mountain Research Farm-
Maya Mountain Research Farm (MMRF), a demonstration farm in rural
southern Belize, is working to strengthen food security. We focus on
developing sustainable agricultural methods that are accessible to
small-holders in the lowland humid tropics. We are utilizing
traditional polycultural forest garden techniques, and running trials
on innovative low impact, low external input practices. Using
permaculture, appropriate technology and renewable energy we have
established and are continually improving a model agricultural system
predicated on biodiversity. MMRF is a research and training center
dedicated to promoting applied biological diversity as a means of
ensuring food security.

Maya Mountain Research Farm is fairly remote. We are two miles up
river from the predominantly Kek'chi Mayan village of San Pedro
Columbia, in Belize's southernmost district of Toledo. One border of
MMRF is the river called the Columbia Branch of the Rio Grande, the
other side of which is the Columbia Indian Reservation. We are about
a mile and a half's walk on rugged trails from the ancient Mayan
ruins of Lubaantun. The river emerges from the ground 1/4 mile up
river from us, and the drainage for this watershed begins in the
Columbia River Forest Reserve, a 100,000 acre, unique, fairly
pristine natural area of broadleaf forest. We are in a wonderful
location, on the one hand connected to the village by the river that
is the local highway, and on the other hand in close proximity to
high bush in the Columbia River Forest Reserve.

http://www.mmrfbz.org/index.html