[Sdpg] PR Eco-Villages and the Global Future Oct 14, 15 2006

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Sep 17 19:56:05 PDT 2006

Contact: Margie Bushman
Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571, email: margie at sbpermaculture.org

SANTA BARBARA PERMACULTURE NETWORK
Presents:
Eco-Villages and the Global Future

Evening Lecture Sat, Oct 14, 7:30 pm, 2006
Workshop, Sunday, Oct 15, 10 -4pm
Location: Santa Barbara City College

At the Environmental Summit in Rio in 1992, leading politicians from all
over the world laid down principles for a sustainable lifestyle in the 21st
century.  What will promote and initiate this hopeful future?

The Eco-village movement has been at the forefront of an effort to design
human settlements in a way that could transform our lives.  Based on
ecological design, they say yes to a positive future, while considering the
possibility of less resources to maintain our present over-consumptive
lifestyles.

Join Professor Declan Kennedy (www.declan.de) as he defines and explores
the concept of Eco-villages and the Eco-village movement.  An exuberant man
in his seventies, Prof Kennedy has had many careers, beginning with dance
and choreography, making the leap to architectecture and urban planning,
then incorporating permaculture & Eco-village design into his life's work.

An Eco-Village is a human-scale, full-featured settlement, in which human
activities are harmlessly integrated into the natural world in a way that
is supportive of healthy human development and can be successfully
continued into the indefinite future. Eco-Village design is based mainly on
permaculture principles and is a way of thinking to create an abundant
future. By conscious design, we can build homes and buildings that conserve
natural resources, make agriculture ecologically sound, reforest the planet
and restore community life in rural and urban areas

          Prof. Kennedy is an Irish architect, urban planner, permaculture
designer and ecologist, co-founder of the Permaculture Institute of Europe
and of the Global Eco-Village Network (GEN).  He has been teaching and
practicing ecological urban design since 1972 and permaculture for the past
20 years and was Professor of Urban Design and Infrastructure at the
Architectural Department of the Technical University of Berlin. He served
as Secretariat to the United Nations for the Global Ecovillage Network
(GEN).  His present activities include working on the urban design for the
first full-fledged ecological settlement in Ireland, and most recently
assisting the Gaia University (www.gaiauniversity.org) in establishing its
international advisory board.  He lives with his wife Margrit Kennedy, in
Steyerberg Germany, at Lebensgarten, an eco-village they helped co-found in
1985.

The evening lecture takes place  Saturday, Oct 14, 7:30pm, at the Santa
Barbara City College West Campus, in the Fe Bland Auditorium, 721 Cliff
Drive. Cost is $10/$5 students, no reservations are needed. For more
information, please call (805) 962-2571, email, margie at sbpermaculture.org,
or visit www.sbpermaculture.org.  Sponsors: Santa Permaculture Network,
Santa Barbara Ecological Education Coalition SBCC Adult Education
Series(SBEEC), SB City College Students for Sustainability,  Hopedance
Media,  and For the Future.
***Workshop, Sun  Oct 15, 10am-4 pm, $30/$20 Students, Location, SB City
College Earth & Biological Science Building (EBS), Room, 309, East Campus,
721 Cliff Dr, Santa Barbara.

-end-

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
sbpcnet at silcom.com
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order
to grow." - Anonymous