[Sdpg] ROADTRIP TO CALEARTH Hesperia CA SAT NOV 4 Dome, Sweet Dome - Inventor teaches world to build sturdy houses

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Oct 30 19:03:04 PST 2006

hi Everyone
         this is to wet your appetite for annual Roadtrip trip by the South
Coast Permaculture Guild to Hesperia Ca to see the Earth domes and Houses
of Architect Nader Khalili.

Saturday Nov. 4 Roadtrip to visit visionary Architect Nader Khalili at
Calearth in Hesperia Ca. this is an all day annual trip to visit the
demonstration
site. This is an amazing adventure see what can be done with earth
and it is truly low cost beautiful housing that does not tax the earth's
biological
resources. we will leave Santa Barbara at 6:30am and be back by 6 pm. for
more info call Wes Roe
964-1555 or email lakinroe at silcom.com, potluck lunch
Check his Website for pictures of the Earth buildings and more info and
article below
www.Calearth.org

CARPOOL Instructions

SANTA BARBARA DEPARTURE PLEASE BE ON TIME/Print Instructions to keep with you:

The Hesperia/Cal Earth roadtrip is happening. Dress WARMLY to have fun and
be comfortable, the high desert can be cold. We will leave SB Downtown 128
E Carrillo (Pueblo Building on corner of Carrillo and Santa Barbara Street,
park on street in front of building to organize car pooling) Dec 3 SAT at
6:30am reach Ventura by 7:15 am at the Carrows Restaurant Parking lot at
Seaward, then on to Hesperia, reaching there shortly after 10.
Will be back to SB by 6.pm

Please let me know if you are coming and how many and where you are meeting
us (Wes Roe 964-1555, lakinroe at silcom.com. )

DIRECTIONS To CAl Earth Nader Khalili Road Trip to Hesperia
 >From Santa Barbara (about 3 hours) take Hwy 101 south to Hwy 126 proceed
along to Hwy #5 turn south and proceed to Hwy#14 north go to Pearblossom
Hwy east to Hwy#138 south(east) proceed to Phelan Rd turn left. Follow
Phelan Rd as it crosses Hwy #395 and turns into Main St. Take Main St past
Hwy #15 to Topaz Rd, Turn left onto Topaz another left on Live Oak, then
your first right onto Baldy Lane at CalEarth sign. Check a map because
route is a little complex.

 >From LA, take Hwy 15 north to Main St exit, Hesperia, turn right proceed
to 2nd stoplight, turn left onto Topaz, left on Live Oak first right on
Baldy Lane at Calearth Sign

Calearth website is www.Calearth.org phone is 760-224-0614

http://www.Calearth.org/whatnew/hstar1.htm
                          Hesperia Star

Nader Khalili shows off the inside of one of the dome houses he has built
at the Cal-Earth facility in Hesperia. Khalili came to Hesperia a few years
ago to teach others his techniques.

Inventor teaches the world to build sturdy houses
No less mystic than the earthen domes he constructs in Hesperia or the
Persian poet Rumi who inspired him to shift from designing skyscrapers to
building with adobe, Nader Khalili's ideas are gaining international attention.
      Imagine building a beautiful home with high, arched ceilings out of
little more than water, some barbed wire and the dirt in your own backyard
for about $1,500, then finishing it off with tile, ornate windows and a few
furnishings, all for a total of $7,000, excluding labor. Single room domes
are even less and can be constructed in a matter of days.
      "My work is to create the most beautiful structures out of the
simplest materials," Khalili said.
      Students, artists, architects, environmentalists and writers from all
over the world have converged upon Hesperia to rediscover the simple power
of earth, air, water, and fire (heat from the sun) - the only ingredients
necessary for Khalili's fire-proof, flood and earthquake resistant domes.
      Khalili's California Institute of Earth, Art and Architecture
(Cal-Earth) has even gained the attention of United Nations researchers.
      One U.N. official said the ceramic domes are ideal for environmental
refugees, disaster-ridden areas and people who live in slum housing because
Khalili's superadobe eliminates many of the obstacles aid agencies face
when providing assistance.
      "The cost is really low," said Nassrine Azimi, chief of the United
Nations Institute for Training and Research in New York. "I presume if the
technology were perfected it could compete with the cost of a tent, and
that is tremendous. We think it has the potential to absolutely change the
way many aid agencies work."
      Several years ago, five Iraqui refugees built 14 of the domes in six days
      Another benefit of Khalili's superadobe is that it can be expanded as
conditions grow more stable, Azimi said.
      Now, Khalili is currently constructing what he calls, "Earth 1," a
typical American home, with three bedrooms, a two-car garage, and a few
other advantages.     "It's the standard American dream house," Khalili
said. "It's also fireproof, hurricane resistant and earthquake resistant."
      Although Hesperia building official Tom Harp was skeptical when
Khalili first arrived in town and applied for a permit to construct his
domes in 1991, he said he has been pleasantly surprised by the structures'
sturdiness.
      The buildings, which are constructed out of nearly 1-foot wide walls
made out of long sandbags filled with dirt, water, and perhaps a little
cement for more permanent structures, withstood the city's wind and
earthquake standards.
      "Quite frankly, I didn't think he would meet building codes when he
first started off on the whole venture," Harp said. "The buildings all
stood up to the tests engineered. I would not have guessed that would have
happened."
      City officials reported receiving inquiries on the Cal-Earth
Institute from other countries, including Japan and South Africa.
      "There's been a lot of interest with the International Conference of
Building Officials," Harp said.
      "It is considering developing a section in the building code to
address alternative types of construction. There's a big movement for green
construction, types of construction that are less damaging to the
environment, and you can't get much greener than earthen
construction."     Because Khalili's concept requires no trees to be cut
down and can be built from materials available everywhere, he hopes his
ceramic domes will become the housing for the new millenium, both here on
earth and perhaps eventually in lunar and Martian colonies.
      "What we are teaching (people) is they can go to any place in this
world, dig and build themselves and others in the community a home using
earth, sun, wind and the natural elements," Khalili said. "While here, they
discover their own creative potential."
      His students come from different walks of life, courses of study and
even different countries, but many share similar experiences at Cal-Earth.
      Frank Mallat of Indio hopes to build his dream house out of superadobe.
      "I've been an environmentalist for thirty years, and my wife and I
bought 70 acres in Desert Hot Springs. We'll build our own house and well
our own water," he said.
      Amid the otherworldly appearance of the domes, students create from
their own sweat and hands, many find more than what they were looking for
when they first arrived.
      "It's opened me up to a lot more out there," Elizabeth Muniz, a 3-D
art student from Visalia, said. "It's put me more in touch with nature."
      Emiko Peterson, an architectural student of Anaheim, said the
opportunity to study at Cal-Earth has opened her horizons to things she
didn't learn in school.
      "I guess they teach more about form-making, like massive sculptures,"
Peterson said of traditional architectural school. "What I'm learning here
has a more spiritual quality and more meaningful form."
      Some students come to learn Khalili's technique, but never leave,
like painter-turned-superadobe teacher Michael Huskey of Apple Valley and
Khalili's associate, Iliona Outram, an architect from London.
      Huskey found a more meaningful art medium in the domes, he said.
Outram who is also the daughter of a British architect, always wanted to
learn earth architecture.
      "I met him and one month later I moved to Hesperia. That was nine
years ago," Outram said.     "The joy of the work and the inspiration Nader
gives are worthwhile for humanity. Instead of just being an architect, I
wanted to do something for the environment."
      The public may vist Cal-Earth during its open house offered on the
first Saturday of every month.
      For more information on Cal-Earth or Nader Khalili, visit
www.calearth.org, or call (760)244-0614.