[Sdpg] Update: Jan 6 ONLY for Birney Garden Cleanup

SDECC & Permaculture Center sdecc at igc.org
Thu Jan 4 10:56:21 PST 2007

UPDATE ON BIRNEY GARDEN CLEANUP DAY:
After much consideration, the PTA has decided to do just one day of cleanup
on Saturday, January 6, from 8am to 4pm.  We hope this doesn't disappoint
those planning to come on Sunday...You are now free to do something else!
Birney Elementary School is located at 4345 Campus Avenue in University
Heights (at Meade Ave & Campus). The garden is at the south edge of the
school next to the parking lot.  In case you missed the first email, I've
included it below. Thanks to all who have responded so far!
Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday,
Marcia Boruta

Dear Friends of the San Diego Permaculture Center,

You're invited to join us on January 6 & 7 (Sat & Sun) for a very important
garden cleanup weekend at Birney Elementary School.  We've been growing a
school garden at our office neighborhood school since the year 2000 and
this year the Birney PTA has adopted the school garden and is starting the
year with big plans!

In February, the garden will be the subject of "Down to Earth," a local
gardening TV show produced by Birney PTA President Dominic Fulgoni
for the County Television Network. To prepare the garden for the show and
for the classrooms' spring planting, the PTA has scheduled a "School Garden
Work Party" on the weekend of January 6-7.  The work starts at 8 a.m. on
both days. People are needed to help dig, weed, and pick up compost from the
Miramar Landfill.

If you're able to help, please respond to this email or send an email to
ptabirney at yahoo.com or call  Marcia Boruta at the San Diego Permaculture
Center at (619) 255-6111.  Let us know your name, phone number, and the date(s)
you can help.  Special needs include: trucks to pick up compost at the
landfill and wheelbarrows to haul it to the garden.

The Birney School Garden is part of a larger project we have been
supporting since 2000 to redevelop the joint-use park adjacent to the
school.  The good news is that on November 2, the school received a
$700,000 check from Councilmembers Toni Atkins and Kevin Faulconer to
kick-off the redevelopment process.  The San Diego Permaculture Center is
represented on the University Heights Park & Recreation Council and has
been promoting the multifunctional use of public land, for example, to
incorporate community gardens into our community parks. It is our hope that
the Birney School Garden will impact the development of the joint-use park
and be a model for the development of school-community gardens in San Diego.

Hope to see you in the New Year!

Marcia Boruta
Co-Chair, San Diego Permaculture Center & SDECC
Chair, University Heights Park & Recreation Council

San Diego Economic Conversion Council (SDECC)
San Diego Permaculture Center
sdecc at igc.org
http://sdecc.igc.org