[Sdpg] Friends of the Trees Email Newsletter - January 2007

Michael Pilarski friendsofthetrees at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 18 13:35:52 PST 2007

Friends of the Trees Email Newsletter - January 2007

THIS NEWSLETTER IS ALSO SENT AS AN ATTACHMENT
which will be easier to read or print out.

Dear Friends,
	This newsletter is being mailed to about 1,000 people as well as being
emailed to the 1,600 emails in my email address list. There is bound to
be some overlap.  If you get this in the mail and would like to be on
the email list, let me know (or vice versa).

Michael Pilarski is looking for a
community/farming situation
    My dreams include:
* Nice people in a community of some kind..
* Good farmland.
* Reliable irrigation water.
* Educational emphasis
* Beautiful rural surroundings.
* My heart says "Yes!" to the location &  people.
	My goal is to create another great food, berry, fruit, herb,
permaculture botanical garden, and spend a lot of time in the garden.
I'd like a place with an educational component so that I could give
workshops and courses on-site with the gardens as a teaching model.
	Assets include: my farming and networking skills; lots of plants; a
nice collection of gardening hand-tools; an outstanding library on
agriculture, horticulture, ethnobotany, permaculture, botany and related
topics; and Friends of the Trees' herb and seed businesses.
	I will consider situations anywhere in the Pacific Northwest including
Montana. Let me know if you have any offers or suggestions.

Friends of the Trees Society

Native Plants and Permaculture:
A Gathering of Plant Enthusiasts
May 11-13.  Lost Valley Educational Center
The presentations and discussions will explore the use of native plants
in permaculture systems. Lost Valley is the main organizer. Friends of
the Trees Society is a co-sponsor and Michael Pilarski will be a
speaker. Anyone interested in being involved please contact Chris Roth
at the Lost Valley Nature Center, 81868 Lost Valley Lane, Dexter, Oregon
97431, (541) 937-2567, ext. 116. chris at talkingleaves.org
www.lostvalley.org/nature

Fairy & Human Relations Congress
June 22-24. Skalitude Retreat Center, Twisp,
Methow Valley, North Cascades, Washington.
7th annual. Communication and cooperation with devas, fairies and nature
spirits. An all ages event. 2007 presenters include Dorothy Mclean,
Robert J. Stewart, Madi Nolan, David Lertzman, Eileen Kilgren, Shebear,
Mary Getten, Amy Leigh and more. One of the premier gatherings of fairy
communicators in the world! (Okay, so we don't have much competition.)
Details are at www.fairycongress.com

Montana Herb Gathering
July, Near Missoula. Date is not set as of this newsletter printing on
12/9/06.  Six annual gatherings were held from 1998 to 2003. Grassroots
herbalists from around Montana and beyond. After a 3-year hiatus the
gathering is awakening. If you'd like to present, assist or attend
contact Katrina Farnum, 406-207-3766. gardenmother22 at hotmail.com
Details will eventually be posted on www.montanaherbgathering.org

Northwest Herbal Faire  - 2007 is still possible!
Friends of the Trees has helped organize the Northwest Herbal Faire
since it started. The 3rd weekend in August. 1,200 people attended the
10th annual in 2005. The Faire did not happen in 2006. We are looking
for a site for August 18-20, 2007. If anyone is interested in helping
this year or knows of a possible site, contact Michael Pilarski. Updates
will be posted on www.nwherbalfaire.com

Singing Alive
September 7-9, Cosmopolis, Washington.
This new event is a weekend of Ceremonial Singing, Dancing & Music. We
change the world as we transform ourselves in songs of blessings,
devotion, gratitude, peace, and activation: songs which embody the
eternally new consciousness of love for the planet and for world peace.
Contact Morgan Brent, xen at tribesofcreation.com   www.tribesofcreation.com

Montana Permaculture Design Course - 2007
September 15-29. Hot Springs, Montana.
2nd annual. Michael Pilarski instructing with others.
Alameda's Hot Springs Retreat (406)741-2283
alamedas at hotspringsmt.net  www.alamedashotsprings.com

2007 Montana Barter Fair
October  6-7. We are looking for a site in NW Montana. A
producer-to-producer economic event.  Who wants to be involved? Contact
Pilarski

Which events do you want to attend?
* Write the dates on your calendar!

Looking for collaborators . . .

Wildcrafting Weeds in the Pacific Northwest, Book
Montana Permaculture Resource Guide
Daphne Charter's Collected Fairy Manuscripts, Vol. I
I need help with scanning, illustration, lay-out, research, computer
skills and proof-reading. Some work can be done at your location. Other
work calls for being in Hood River. There is a room available for short
term help.

Internships
Dozens of people have interned with Friends of the Trees over the years.
Anyone interested in interning in 2007 please send me a letter about
your goals and skills. We could use help this winter as well as next
growing seaason. Internship involves a wide range of organizational and
research work as well as hands-on wildcrafting and farming.

Northwest Sustainable Wildcrafters Guild
There are now 11 guild members - 9 harvest medicinals, 2 harvest
mushrooms, 2 harvest seaweed, 4 harvest native seeds, 2 provide nursery
stock, 1 harvests restoration livestaking material and cuttings, 1
provides native fibers and basketry materials, 4 make herbal
preparations, 2 teach courses in wildcrafting and herbalism and 2 do
permaculture consulting and design. A brochure with members' contact
information is available on request from Friends of the Trees.
Occasional meetings are held

LOCALIZATION
and  HARMONIZATION

Two pathways out of the crises facing humanity.

Here is information on two of the best solutions I've seen lately.
Localization and harmonization offer the possibility for a grass-roots,
democratic re-organization of the world.

Helena Norberg-Hodge and Gary Nabhan.
I had the pleasure of listening to both Helena Norberg-Hodge and Gary
Nabhan at the Washington Tilth annual organic agriculture conference on
November 12, 2006. Helena gave the keynote address and was on a panel
with Gary. Helena is famous for her work with the people of Ladakh and
helping them keep their traditions alive. Helena's talk was uplifting
and inspirational. She outlined a path away from globalization and
towards localization that would decentralize the world's power
structures and more equitably share resources. I highly recommend that
everyone check out her website and books.
Localization offers an alternative to globalization.
Local production for local consumption.
Local food.
Local governance.
Local ownership.

Power has become increasingly concentrated in the hands of a few
globalized, financial institutions who control multi-national
corporations, governments, WTO, etc. A small group of large banks in New
York and London are trying to become a world-wide dictatorship. This is
nothing new to the politically astute in the US and to much of the
suffering masses in the less well-off "underdeveloped" countries. The
media industry is owned by these financial powers and several
generations of media mis-information has led to many people in the US
being unaware of their peril, or even actively support anti-people
policies such as the Iraq war, patriot act, etc.

A world-wide, decentralized movement is necessary to counter the global
elite's goal of world domination and totalitarianism. Localization and
harmonization offer two strategies for grass roots people to affect
change at the local level. They are non-violent, inclusive,
decentralized and would be difficult to legislate against.

"Buy Local" is a slogan that almost everyone now agrees with. An Arizona
poll showed that the majority of people from all economic classes would
prefer to buy local food. The problem of course, is that there are few
local food producers left.  Regulatory hoops are used to discourage
small-scale, local production of many items. Subsidized agribusiness
corporations continue to run small farmers out of business around the
world. A democratization of food production is a pre-requisite of a
truly free people.

The International Society for Ecology and Culture  (ISEC)
PO Box 9475 , Berkely, CA 94709
www.isec.org.uk   (510) 548-4915.   infousa at isec.org.uk
Helena Norberg-Hodge's organization. Promoting locally based
alternatives to the global consumer culture. The International Society
for Ecology and Culture (ISEC) is a non-profit organisation concerned
with the protection of both biological and cultural diversity.
	ISEC has worked in more than a dozen countries, from the UK and the USA
to Thailand and Bhutan. Their programme in Ladakh, or 'Little Tibet',
where they have been running a wide range of 'hands on' projects since
1975, has won international acclaim for countering the negative effects
of conventional development in that region. ISEC has now established an
'Ancient Futures Network' to bring together groups and individuals from
every corner of the world that are struggling to maintain their cultural
integrity in the face of economic globalisation.

Bringing the Food Economy Home: Local Alternatives to Global
Agribusiness. Helena Norberg-Hodge, Todd Merrifield and Steven Gorelick.
2002, Kumarian press. Available from ISEC.

Ancient Futures: Learing from Ladakh
Helena Norberg-Hodge. 2002, Sierra Club Books. Available  ISEC.

RAFT, Renewing America's Food Traditions
Center for Sustainable Environments, Northern Arizona University,
PO Box 5765 , Flagstaff, AZ  86011-5765
(928) 523-6726.  www.environment.nau.edu/raft
Gary Nabhan, the founder of RAFT,  is a well-known ethnobotanist and
author from the Southwest. Gary was on the panel with Helena at the
Tilth Coference and gave a workshop on creating local/regional food
systems.

Renewing Salmon Nation's Food Traditions
Gary Paul Nabhan. 2006. RAFT. 66 pages. $5.95
A RAFT list of food species and heirloom varieties with traditions at
risk and in need of recovery in the Greater Pacific Northwest.  It
covers domesticated crops, sea foods and wild foods. If you want to eat
local, this is a great book because it details food that is unique to
salmon nations, including heirloom varieties that orginated here. Value
our local foods and keep them alive.  As Nabhan says, "Eat it, to save it".

Reviving America's Food Traditions: Bringing Cultural and Culinary
Mainstays from the past into the New Millennium.
Gary Paul Nabhan and Ashley Rood, editors. 2004, 82 pp. $12.

Linking Arizona's Sense of Place to a Sense of Taste:
Marketing the Heritage Value of Arizona's Place-Based Foods. RAFT.
Arizona has more heritage food diversity and a longer history of farming
than any other state. This book outlines how peple are taking steps to
preserve their food biodiversity and to re-create new local food
systems. A great book for anyone promoting local food systems.

HARMONIZATION

Escaping the Matrix: How We The People Can Change the World
Richard Moore. 2005-2006. 209 pages. $15.95. CyberJournal Project, 570
El Camino Real, #117, Redwood City, CA 94063.
http://cytberjournal.org/  http://escapingthematrix.org/
This book describes the concept of harmonization as a way for local
communities to do democratic decision making together. A
community-centered dialog. Part of the book describes how we got
ourselves into the situation of a dominator society ruled by elite
interests. The most important and practical part of the book describes a
way for communities to dialogue together to discover their common
interests and increase harmony. Sound daunting? Read the book.

Ecovillages & Small is Beautiful

Global Ecovillage Network
www.ecovillage.org
Their website leads you to regional networks in Oceania, Europe and the
Americas and from thence to ecovillages all around the world. Great
network and great website. Strongly linked to the permaculture movement.

Ecovillages: New Frontiers for Sustainability.
Jonathan Dawson. 2005, $14. 94 pages. Chelsea Green Pub., White River
Junction, Vermont. 802-295-6300. www.chelseagreen.com  Publication #12
of the Schumacher Briefings.
I have just read Dawson's book and find it inspirational as well as
pointing to many healthy trends in the world. It gives me great pleasure
to see how the intentional communities movement, which I have been a
part of for 30 years, is indeed affecting larger change. It is a small
book, hence economical of time to read, yet it covers a lot of bases.
Chelsea Green Publishing, by the way, is one of the biggest publishers
of books on sustainability topics.

The Schumacher Society
www.schumacher.org.uk
Promoting Human-Scale Sustainable Development. Founded by E.F.
Schumacher, author of "Small is Beautiful".

Interesting, recommended websites

In a past newsletter I gave a long list of websites I especially pay
attention to. That list is on our Friends of the Trees website. Here are
more.

www.nealadams.com/nmu.html
The expanding earth theory. All planets and moons are expanding. Great
animations. Check this out.

www.matthewbooks.com
Channeled messages. Inspiring. Saying that the dark ones' days of
influence on earth are drawing to an end. I certainly hope they are right.
Click on Matthew's Messages at the bottom of the home page.

www.purusaxena.com/
A Hong Kong financial analysis of the current world monetary situation.
  Click on sample newsletter and on Short Reports.

http://www.worldpeaceemerging.com
Finally, a website that focuses on inspiring good news from around the
world. Great list of festivals around the US and international.

www.ipc8.org/
Website for the 8th International Permaculture Convergence and
Conference, Brazil, May 2007

www.indiancountry.com
A weekly newspaper with news from Native Americans around North America
and also from South and Central America.

www.farmingsolutions.org/
Sustainable farming examples from around the world.

www.growbiointensive.org
The website for John Jeavons, bio-intensive gardening and Ecology
Action. A great source on info on how to grow more vegetables than you
ever thought possible on less land than you can imagine.

www.foodsecurity.org
Food Security Coalition. Best nationwide source.

www.involved.com/scut/
Great gardening resources with links. Intensive small space gardening.

www.journeytoforever.org
Journey to forever. Biofuel trip around the world. Lots of articles and
links. Far more then just biofuels. Sticking up for indigenous peoples.

http://www.droughtoutlook.com/future.html
Looks at the history of US droughts over the last 2000 years.

http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html
Map of current drought condition areas.

http://home.att.net/~thehessians/newcropreport.html
Crop info from around the world. With emphasis on crop failures.

http://home.att.net/~thehessians/disasterwatch.html
Global Disaster Watch website

Climate Change information
Micheal Sunanda is a radical researcher on climate change. He has a long
list of websites on climate change, plus sends emails on latest
discoveries. michealspun at yahoo.com

2006 Herb & Seed
Production Report
Wildcrafting and growing medicinal herbs and seeds is Friends of the
Trees main income. In early spring I sold my 7-year-old, two-acre, herb
planting near Twisp (north-central Washington) to Chris Doree and Lexi
Koch. They have started a new herb company called Ancestree Herbals.
In Spring 2006, I planted a half-acre garden at Riversong Farm in the
Hood River valley, Oregon. It was an intensive planting of medicinal
herbs, berries, vegetables, culinary herbs, trees and shrubs. The soil
is excellent and the plants grew very well. The fall plant inventory
shows a tally of 160 plant species on site in the first year. We had
good annual crop production and some perennial crop production.
Perennial production will increase in 2007. This winter I will be
wildcrafting the usual winter harvests of usnea, lungwort, devil's club,
Oregon-grape, nettle root, cottonwood buds and others.

Herb Propagation Stock for Sale
Root Divisions and Rhizomes - Spring 2007
Skullcap, Horseradish, Spikenard (Nardostachys jatmanii). Hops,
Marshmallow, Elecampane, Goldendrod, Pennyroyal, Chinese-artichoke
(Stachys affinis), Nettles, Figwort, Russian Comfrey, Turkey Rhubarb,
Puget Sound Mugwort, Butterburr (Petasites palmatus), Field Mint (Mentha
arvensis), Beebalm (Monarda fistulosa), Betony, and Gymnostemma
pentophyllum. Price list available on request.

Dried Herbs in Stock
Lots of dried herbs are in stock, both cultivated and wildcrafted. All
of our herbs are collected and processed with hand tools and loving
care. Our quality is considered among the best in the trade. Still, we
don't have enough market. Can anyone help?

Alfalfa, Arborvitae, Balsamroot root, Betony, Blessed Thistle,
Bugleweed, Burdock seed, California Poppy, Comfrey leaf, Cottonwood
buds, Devil's Club rootbark, Feverfew, Figwort, Goldenrod, Gumweed,
Hops, Horehound, Horsetail, Lady's Mantle, Larch bark, Lomatium root,
Lungwort, Marshmallow leaf, Meadowsweet, Motherwort, Mugwort, Nettle
seed, Nettle root, Oats in the milk stage, Oatstraw with milky oats,
Oregon-grape root, Pipsissewa, Redroot root, Redroot leaf, Rue,
Spilanthes, Sweet Annie, Tree of Heaven bark, Usnea, Wormwood, Yarrow,
Yellow Dock. Amounts and price list available.

Seed for Sale
Medicinal herbs and native plants. All of our seeds are grown or
wildcrafted by Michael Pilarski. This year we harvested seed from about
30 species (usually we collect over 50 species each year). Major
harvests this year were Sweet Annie (50 pounds!), skullcap and holy
basil. Seed amounts and prices available on request.

Teaching
Michael Pilarski led the teaching team of two, successful permaculture
design courses in 2006. Wise Earth course, March 18-April 1 near
Snohomish, Washington and a Hot Springs, Montana course, Sept 23-Oct 7.
  Herb education this year included two, 3-day field classes for Bastyr
University and the National College of Naturopathic Medicine.
Sweet Annie, Qing Hao (Artemisia annua)

Friends of the Trees grew a bumper crop of sweet annie seed in 2006. 50
pounds of seed, And we still have 10 # of seed in stock from 2005.
397,600 seeds per ounce. 6,361,600 seeds per pound.
360 million seeds in all.
That is enough to plant about 6,500 acres at 55,000 plants per acre.
I am seriously overstocked!
Seed for sale
$3.00 per generous seed packet
$10 oz.     $100 lb.     10# or more is $50 lb.

Friends of the Trees will donate seed to public health organizations
working in Africa, Asia, Pacific, Central and South America or whereever
malaria is a problem.

Sweet Annie, as well as the extract artemisinin, are both significantly
effective in treating malaria. "Artemisinin has become the choice for
malarial treatment worldwide because it is also effective against
resistant strains of the organism. Ninety-eight percent of malarial
parasites are generally killed with 24 hours with use of the herb or its
constituent." Stephen Harrod  Buhner in his 2005 book "Healing Lyme".
	Sweet Annie is also useful in treating Lyme disease. It has recently
been proven helpful as an anti-tumor and anti-cancer treatment for
leukemia, breast cancer, colon cancer, bone cancer, and lymph cancer.
Artemisia annua, Qing Hao, is from China and is used in traditional
Chinese medicine. Other medicinal Artemisia include wormwood, mugwort,
tarragon, southernwood, and many of the western sagebrushes.
	Kenya and Tanzania have become the world's leading producers in the
past few years, but China is ramping up production big time, with lesser
amounts in Brazil, etc.
	Sweet Annie is one of the largest annual plants I grow. Each bushy
plant can grow 4 to 6 feet tall. It self seeds in the garden to some
extent but has not become a troublesome weed in my garden
  	Sweet Annie has other, more mundane, medicinal uses besides malaria,
Lyme disease and cancer. Perhaps it can help you some day.
	The herb is used as a tea, or as a tincture for easy transportability.

I have 40 # of Sweet Annie leaf in stock. Sifted, no stems, high
quality. $22 per lb.  5# or more is $16#.  25# or more is $14#.

Books for Sale from Friends of the Trees
Growing and Wildcrafting Medicinal Plants in the PNW. $23
Permaculture: Principles and Pathways Beyond Sustainability.
	David Holmgren. $28
A True Fairy Tale. Daphne Charters. $18
Ethnobotany & Ethnoecology Resource Guide. $20
Restoration Forestry: An International Guide to Sustainable Forestry
Practices. $27. (The last 400 copies in print are being shipped to me.)
    Add 15% for shipping. Send orders to Friends of the Trees address.

Henry C K Liu

A great read on
current world economy and conflicts.

http://henryckliu.com

Independent Critical Analysis and Commentary

I read a bunch of Henry C K Liu's writings last night (Dec 19).  My
first impression is that it is one of the most brilliant analyses of
current world politics and economics I have seen. (MP)

*I understand the role of the US dollar in the world financial structure
much better now.

* I understand world trade better.

* It also makes clearer the position of the US in the world family of
nations.

* I also understand the history of China better and its situation today.
70% of the Chinese economy is now export trade. Amazingly, only 30% of
China's production stays in the country. Liu explains how this has been
at the expense of rural people's incomes and environmental degradation.
The recent 5-year plan indicates steps are being taken to reverse this
trend because the 60% rural Chinese people are becoming increasingly
unrestive. The solution, according to Liu, is for China to divert much
more of it's production to domestic consumption and a reining in of the
widening gap between rich and poor.

* I also understand better the Middle East political situation and its
history.

* Liu discusses the responsibilities of governments to their citizens.
One of them being full employment. Another of the main national
responsibilities of a goverment is to rein in corruption. Corruption has
gotten out of control in many countries in the world. Liu points out
that China currently faces many challenges in this regard, as does the US.

* Liu  has proposed a global union of labor in the developing world
countries.

http://henryckliu.com/page37.html
Takes you directly to Part I of his proposal -
World Trade Needs a Global Cartel for Labor  (OLEC).

http://henryckliu.com/page109.html
Takes you directly to a Dec 13 article on the recent high-level US trade
delegation to China.

“Rubinomics” is a doctrine of aggressive trade liberalization paid for
by squeezing domestic and foreign workers while balancing the fiscal
budget at home by cutting social programs to avoid the need for raising
taxes progressively. The Clinton Federal surplus came directly from the
pockets of workers. Yet Rubin has said publicly that he understands that
income inequality, both domestic and around the world, will produce a
political backlash at the core that threatens the neo-liberal trading
system, even the stability of capitalistic democracy. Rubin acknowledges
the ill effect of globalization on US wages which takes on political
significance when the squeeze shift from just the poor who seldom vote,
to the politically active middle class. The favoritism of government
policy towards the rich, particularly the tax structure, has become so
embarrassingly obscene that even the super rich such as Warren Buffet
complained about its unfairness." Quote from Henry C K Liu at:
http://henryckliu.com/page109.html

Tending the Wild: Native American Knowledge and the Management of
California's Natural Resources. M. Kat Anderson. 2005. Univ of
California Press. 526 pages.
I highly recommend this book to everyone interested in wild plant uses,
ethnobotany and/or native habitat restoration. This is one of the best,
perhaps the best so far, of the texts explaining how Native American
tribes co-created the abundant ecosystems that the European explorers
found. Every region of the Pacific Northwest will find information valid
for their area. Let's compare Kat Anderson's book to Tending the Wild by
Nancy Turner and Douglas Deur, also published in 2005. Turner and Deur
reported on Native American land and ecosystem management in the coastal
Pacific Northwest - British Columbia, Washington and Oregon. Tending the
Wild was the first book (that I am aware of) that has elucidated the
long time interval and intermediate steps between true hunter-gatherers
and agriculturists. Turner and Deur's book has worldwide implications.
Kat Anderson's information is similar, but focuses on California
bioregions. Anderson goes further into the details of what plants were
worked with and how. There is a lot of practical knowledge. Anderson's
specialty is basketry so managing the ecosystem for basketry materials
gets a good deal of attention. The principle focus of the book is the
native methods of caring for the land. There is a also a focus on plant
foods and a section on contemporary harvesting and management. The
information on restoring landscapes with native knowledge should be read
by all restorationists in the Western US.

Keeping it Living: Traditions of Plant Uses and Cultivation on the
Northwest Coast of North America. Douglas Deur & Nancy J. Turner.  2005.
University of Washington Press. 402 pages.

Restoring the Pacific Northwest: The Art and Science of Ecological
Restoration in Cascadia. Dean Apostol and Marcia Sinclair, Editors.
2006. Island Press. 475 pages. Overview of the current state of the art.
It covers a wide range of ecosystem stypes. Bunchgrass prairie,
shrub-steppe, ponderosa  pine and interior forests, Oak woodlands and
Savannas, old-growth conifer forests, tidal wetlands, etc. Chapter 16 is
on Managing Northwest Invasive Vegetation. Chapter 17 is on Traditional
Ecological Knowledge and Restoration Practice. A good region-wide
overview, but it doesn't go into specifics (nuts and bolts info). The
extensive reference sections, however, can lead readers to much deeper
information. The restoration movement as a whole is maturing. Practical
on-the-ground experience, and learning from failures and successes is
adding up. What we need now is to increase the restoration labor force
to ten times it's present size. The level of landscape work needed could
easily utilize 100 times the current restoration workforce. This scale
would mean restoration would become one of the major employers in rural
counties. Comparable to, or larger than, National Forest Service
staffing. If it was a rural timber economy, then the restoration
workforce could equal that of the logging/timber workforce.
NEW BOOK !
Garden Planet: The Present Phase Change of the Human Species.
Highly recommended!!
Pathways out of the mess we are in.
See at:  www.gardenplanetbook.com
Friends of the Trees Society