[Sdpg] school gardens, peace & permaculture

SDECC & Permaculture Center sdecc at igc.org
Wed Mar 21 21:13:54 PDT 2007

Dear Friends of the San Diego Permaculture Center,

As the world mourns the continued destruction of the war in Iraq, it may
seem trite to talk about school gardens.  But despite the human insanity,
life continues, children are born, and the first day of spring arrives.

So, I invite you to see children in action learning how to plant a garden
and care for living things.  During the month of March, the Birney School
Garden Makeover is featured on "Down to Earth," a production of the County
Television Network (CTN). The 30-minute show airs daily at 12:30p and 7:30p
on CTN, which is Channel 24 on Cox Cable (for program guide, go to
www.ctn.org).

If we are ever to have peace on this planet, we need a generation of people
who care.  Teaching children how to work together and care for a school
garden is one way to begin. Right now, the California Department of
Education is offering school garden grants of up to $5,000 per school.  The
deadline for applications is April 20.  Locally, Julie Osborn at San Diego
Food Not Lawns is offering to help schools apply. Contact Julie at
<julie.osborn at gmail.com>.  For more info about the State grants, go to
www.cde.ca.gov/fg/fo/profile.asp?id=961

Planting Peace,

Marcia Boruta
SD Permaculture Center

The San Diego Permaculture Center is a project
of SDECC, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) corporation.

San Diego Economic Conversion Council (SDECC)
San Diego Permaculture Center
sdecc at igc.org
http://sdecc.igc.org