[Sdpg] Celebrating the Maya Forest as a Garden Saturday, October 13, 2007 from 11 am to 4 pm, Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Farrand Hall

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sat Aug 25 19:12:09 PDT 2007

Celebrating the Maya Forest as a Garden
Meet the Mayan Forest Gardeners from El Pilar!
Presented by ESP-Maya, a 501c3 non-profit organization, with SBMNH
At the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History, Farrand Hall
Saturday, October 13, 2007 from 11 am to 4 pm

The Original PermaCulturists

The Maya have long been exalted for their
architectural and artistic grandeur. Towering
temples dominating grand open plazas remain the
enduring evidence of their power.  Keen observers
of natural phenomena, their priests studied the
heavens, making accurate celestial predictions
with precise mathematics. The Maya were also
superb gardeners. They domesticated their wild
jungles and tropical landscape and established
their cities based on forest gardens.
This powerfully effective art, architecture, and
agriculture was, amazingly, established without
the aid of wheels and plows or the draft animals,
or even heavy metals like iron. Rather than being
constrained by this, the Maya were able to create
a productive landscape that provided thousands of
years of growth and development. This is
supremely evident in the remarkably diverse and
sophisticated development of their landscape.
Well-known plants that we rely on today were part
of the Maya diet: the sun trilogy of maize,
beans, squash; basic vegetables such as tomato
and chile; fibers such as cotton; condiments like
allspice tree and achiote bush; and the important
shaded delicacies of chocolate and vanilla.
Tailored to the local geography, the Maya
cultivated the forest as a garden for thousands
of years. Today the Maya forest is dominated by
these useful plants, nurtured by traditional
farmers of the region who grow a wide array of
food, medicine, and spice as well as materials
for construction and home utensils.   Their
forest gardens provide nourishment for their
families, maintain the soil fertility, secure water, and clean the air.

Come and meet them!
Join Us and Discover the World of the Maya  Past and Present
• Where did the ancient Maya live?  • What are we
doing to protect the Maya heritage?
• How can we learn from the Maya Forest Garden?
These are some of the fascinating question we
will cover in our panel discussion
At Fiesta El Pilar.
·       Beloved local landscape designer Lori Ann
David will moderate a celebration of the tropical Maya forest past and present
·       Archaeologist Anabel Ford will introduce the Maya world
·       A panel of local and international
experts will explore traditional landscapes.
·       Maya forest gardeners from El Pilar
Belize  Master Gardener Alfonzo Tzul, Traditional
Healer Beatrice Waight, and Young Entrepreneur
Lucas Medina will discuss how they conserve and prosper in the Maya forest
·       Learn about Chumash landscapes
traditional Chumash Healer Adelina Padilla
·       Explore how traditional knowledge can
contribute to our own lives and landscapes.

Music by El Son del Pueblo • Food and Drinks • Booths
Suggested contribution: $25-$100
Contact info:  Anabel Ford 805 893 8191/ford at marc.ucsb.edu