[Sdpg] Natural Building Eco-development Workshop near Tijuana Baja Mexico, Oct. 27th–Nov 4th '07

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Oct 11 06:42:07 PDT 2007

Oct. 27th–Nov 4th '07

Natural Building Eco-development Workshop near Tijuana Baja Mexico

Imagine a revolutionary oasis built with your
very own hands as you exercise in natural
building and whole system design principles.
Imagine a community of passionate people learning
what it means to be human beings, immersed in an
environment of self-expression, of listening, and
of appreciation, while they build beautifully and sustainably.

Introducing GiraSol (Sunflower), a new
permaculture settlement breaking ground in
November 2007. We invite you to be a part of this
amazing experience by participating in a nine-day
course designed to bring you competency in
Permaculture and Earthen Building Methods.
Imagine yourself as part of that community
Living. Building. Playing.

This nine-day intensive design/build studio will
combine natural building techniques (cobb, adobe,
stone, straw/clay, passive/active heating
systems) with presentations, discussions,
exercises, and fun local field trips. GiraSol’s
ground-breaking workshop will provide training in
regenerative village design, natural construction
and permaculture theory while establishing the
GiraSol information center through hands-on work.
The design will integrate a century-old adobe
structure into a whimsical new building,
seemingly sprung from the canvas of a Maxfield Parrish painting.

Led by mOceaN (Mark Lakeman), Lydia Doleman and
Martin Schulke of Portland’s City Repair Project,
the Gira-Sol intensive will take place from
10/27/07 to 11/04/07. We will be camping as a
group in the beautiful Baja desert, and all meals will be provided.

Reservations & Course Questions

Scott Ankeny
503-853-9376
scottankenypdx at gmail.com

Blog
http://www.girasolnow.typepad.com/

<http://girasolnow.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/06/gira_sol.html>Gira Sol?

Gira Sol pronounced "heera soul" means sunflower
in spanish. I also like "sun spinners" as a
translation. This project comes out of the
original name given to the ranch "Rancho los Gira
Soles" back when it changed hands over 30 years
ago. At that time it was quite the sleepy valley,
dairies, olive, grape, barley... Tijuana, it's
largest neighbor has grown tremendously and
spills towards this inland valley. A more
counscious presence is being planned for this
valley as a whole to serve the growing
populations. Gira Sol has many advantages at this
time attracting interest from both sides of the
border towards a more natural foot print in the landscape.
Adobe soil is our most available resource at Gira
Sol and is the perfect material for sculpting
whimsical environments. Our experience with all
forms of natural building helps us to mix
building methods for optimum structures, thoughtfully strong, and poetic.