[Sdpg] Vandana Shiva is editor of the new book, "Manifestos on the Future of Food and Seed, "

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Nov 7 06:17:50 PST 2007

Environmental activist and physicist Vandana
Shiva talks global food politics with Living on
Earth's Steve Curwood. Shiva is editor of the new
book, "Manifestos on the Future of Food and
Seed," which advocates local, organic and diverse food production.
http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.htm?programID=07-P13-00044&segmentID=6

GELLERMAN: It's Living on Earth. I'm Bruce
Gellerman. In India, the benefits of modern
agriculture come with a high price. It's been
reported as many as 150,000 Indian farmers over
the past decade have committed suicide—many by
drinking the pesticides they put on their crops.
According to physicist and social activist
Vandana Shiva, the farmers' despair is due to the
weight of overwhelming debt. They can no longer
afford the escalating price of chemicals and
bio-engineered seeds, like pest-resistant Bt
cotton. Shiva says the suicides in India are only
part of a global problem that can be traced to the way food is produced.

SHIVA: Chemical agriculture really is a theft
from nature. Organic ecological farming is the
only way we will be able to address the
ecological crisis related to farming, the
agrarian crisis emerging from industrial
globalized agriculture, and the public health
crisis coming from using war chemicals to produce our food.

GELLERMAN: Vandana Shiva is editor of a new book
called "Manifestos on the Future of Food and
Seed." Living on Earth's Steve Curwood recently
spoke with her about the problems, the politics,
and the possibilities of food production.

Mainfestos on the Future of Food and Seed (Courtesy of South End Press)

CURWOOD: How did you first become aware of the
relationships between the environment, the poor, and food?

SHIVA: The connections between the environment
and agriculture, and food systems, and the issues
of poverty really came home to me in the 80s,
particularly 1984—and I don't why George Orwell
picked that as the title of one of his books. It
was the year we had the worst terrorism and
extremism in India. Thirty thousand people were
killed in Punjab where the Green Revolution had
been implemented—the Green Revolution had even
received a Nobel Peace Prize for creating
prosperity and through prosperity creating peace.
And yet in the 1980s, there was the worst form of
violence you could imagine. In December of 1984,
we had the worst industrial disaster in Bhopal,
which killed 3,000 people in one night, 30,000
people since then, and I was forced to wake up
and ask the question: why are we involved in an
agriculture that is killing hundreds of
thousands, that is so violent, and pretends to be
feeding the world? And I started to do scientific
research on this. My book "The Violence of the
Green Revolution" came out of the research that I
was doing at that point for the United Nations.
And increasingly, I have realized that if farmers
in India are getting into debt and committing
suicide, it's because of these industrially
driven agricultural systems that are also
destroying the environment. If children are going
hungry today and are being denied food, it's
because the money is being spent on buying toxic
chemicals and costly seeds rather than being
spent on feeding children, clothing them, and
sending them to school. So chemical agriculture
really is a theft from nature and a theft from the poor.

CURWOOD: In your book Vandana Shiva, you mention
that 800 million people in the world who suffer
from malnutrition, and the 1.7 billion who suffer
from obesity. What is it that the underfed and the overfed have in common?

SHIVA: Both are suffering from consequences of
corporate control over the food system, which has
reduced food to commodities, manipulated it, got
the farmers into debt. The farmers and farmers'
children who are hungry today are the ones who
have to sell what they produce in order to pay
back credit for buying the chemicals they use to
grow the food. The majority of the hungry in the
world are rural people today. They could be
growing their own food if the food system hadn't
been converted into a market for sales of seeds
and agrichemicals. And on the other hand, the
obesity epidemic and other related epidemics of
diabetes—and in Delhi, childhood diabetes,
children with diabetes, has jumped from seven
percent to 14 percent in the city of Dehli, as
the staple diet of Coca-Cola and chips starts to
enter our school system—both are victims. Three
billion people on this planet are being denied
their right to healthy, safe, nutritious food
even though the planet can produce that food, and
farmers of the world can produce that food,
because agribusiness has turned that food into a
place for highest returns on profits.

CURWOOD: Now, anyone who goes grocery shopping
here in the U.S. can tell you that
organically-produced foods are more generally
more expensive than conventional foods and yet,
in your book you write that conventional food is
not the key to feeding the poor. Tell me about
what you call the 'myth' of cheap food?

Vandana Shiva speaking at the "Deine Stimme Gegen
Armut" (Your Voice Against Poverty) concert in
Rostock, Germany on June 7th, 2007.(Photo: Flickr/U2005.com)

SHIVA: The myth of cheap food is related first
and foremost to the fact that cheap food is a
result of our tax money being used to lure the
prices of food that has been produced at very
high cost financially, and in the process had
driven farmers off the land, including the United
States—the family farms are being destroyed
because of this very artificial low price of
food, the monopolies that grow with it, which
creates a buyers market as far as farmers are
concerned. And then, at every level, a subsidy
given for manipulating food more and more to take
away its nutrition and food value and to add
hazards and risks to it. The entire food system
is today serving corporations and not serving
people or the planet. We need to reclaim the food system.

CURWOOD: Now, some of the companies will tell you
that genetically modified foods help increase
food production, making more food available.
You've been opposed to genetically modified foods
since they first came on the market. What do you
see wrong with genetically modified crops?

SHIVA: Well, you know the first thing is if they
were so productive, Indian farmers, who are using
Bt cotton, wouldn't be the worst victims of
farmer suicides. One scientist keeps churning out
data about how $27 million additional income—if
the farmers were making that additional income,
they wouldn't be ending their lives. The recent
Nobel Prize in biology has gone to biologists who
have shown that the determinism on which genetic
engineering is based doesn't work. Genes work in
very complex interactions. This is why those of
us who critique genetic engineering started to
critique it as a very crude and primitive
technology, based on very wrong assumptions of
how life organizes itself. This idea of one gene,
one expression doesn't work. Because of the
crudeness of the technology, industry has so far
managed to bring us, commercially, only two kinds
of traits. One is herbicide-tolerant crops, which
means spray more ground up, contaminate your
ecosystems and food systems more. And the second
is Bt toxin crops, where a toxin called Bt is
engineered into the plant and now every cell is
making that toxin every moment. It starts to kill
nontarget species, the very big study of Cornell
on the monarch butterflies is one example, 1,800
sheep in India dying by eating Bt cotton is
another example, (inaudible) studies that shows
that genetically engineered food fed to mice
starts to create huge damage physiologically,
immunity systems collapse, the brains shrunk. We
need much more research of this kind.
Unfortunately the industry censures the research,
pretends that everything is fine and starts to
target the scientists, who have brought some
level of awareness to society of the risks of
manipulating life at the genetic level or
assessing the consequences adequately.

Vandana Shiva (Photo: Flicr/Daniel Heaf)

CURWOOD: In your book you include war as one of
the unaccounted for external costs of corporate
agriculture. What does war have to do with the food we eat?

SHIVA: Agrichemicals that have come into farming
were war chemicals. They're products of war. When
30,000 people died in Bhopal, it's because those
pesticides were designed to kill people.
Herbicides were designed as chemical warfare.
243D was Agent Orange of the Vietnam War. So the
tools of agriculture have become the tools of
warfare. Secondly, the idea of creating food
dependency is also an idea of warfare. It came
out of the foreign policy of the United States
the very word and phrase 'use food as a weapon.'
It's being used against India today in
friendship. The interesting thing is that the
U.S. and India are very intimate today, but the
U.S.-India agreement on agriculture is trying to
create dependency of India on the United States.
Supplies of food, even though we're growing 74
million tons. This is warfare by another means.

CURWOOD: You want to build a new paradigm for
food. What does that mean exactly?

SHIVA: I think the first element of the paradigm
is that food is not a commodity. It's the very
basis of life. Secondly, food production is not
industrial activity. It is nurturing the land. It
is conserving resources. It is giving
livelihoods. It is shaping a culture. And it is
much more than bringing corn and soya bean and
wheat and cotton to the marketplace. We have to
recognize that biodiversity is the real capital
of food and farming and linked to it is cultural
diversity—that we are richer to the extent we
have diversified food cultures in the world. We
are poorer as the biodiversity of our farms
disappears and the cultural diversity of our food systems disappears.

CURWOOD: So what should the average person do in
terms of a response to your call?

SHIVA: I think the average person should
recognize that even though they are in cities
they are connected to the land. That somewhere,
somebody produced the food they're eating. And we
will all be freer, if around every city are rural
communities where small farmers are able to
produce food of quality, make a living doing
that, and there is a more intimate connection
between the food people eat and the land it comes
from and the producers who have made an effort to
bring it. I think every city should have its own
food shed. The creation of farmers' markets is a
beginning. But I don't think we can leave the
farmers' markers to be token symbols. We need to
move the money of taxpayers from subsidizing
corporations to bring us junk and poison, to
bringing farmers' markets everywhere, to helping
small producers everywhere connect to those who
are looking for more secure food, more safe food,
more tasty food, more quality food. The most
important issue is to break the myth that safe,
ecological, local, is a luxury only the rich can
afford. This planet cannot afford the additional
burden of more carbon dioxide, more nitrogen
oxide, more toxins in our food. Our farmers
cannot afford the economic burden of these
useless toxic chemicals. And our bodies cannot
afford the bombardment of these chemicals anymore.

CURWOOD: Dr. Vandana Shiva is a physicist and
environmental activist. Thank you so much.

SHIVA: Thank you, Steve.

GELLERMAN: Vandana Shiva is also the editor of a
new book called, "Manifestos on the Future of
Food and Seed." She spoke with Living on Earth
Executive Producer Steve Curwood.

Living on Earth wants to hear from you! Email us
at comments at loe.org, or call our listener line
(1-800-218-9988). Our mailing address is:

Living on Earth
20 Holland Street Suite 408
Somerville, MA 02144-2749

Manifestos on the Future of Food and Seed
Vandana Shiva (Editor), Carlo Petrini
(Contributor), and Michael Pollan (Contributor)
Pages: 136
ISBN: 978-0-89608-777-4
Format: paperback original
Release Date: 2007-10-01

Purchase for $10.00

Description of Manifestos on the Future of Food and Seed.

How are seeds cultivated and saved?
How far must food travel before reaching our plate?
Who gets paid for the food we eat?
Why does our food taste like this?

We live in a world where of the 80,000 edible
plants used for food only about 150 are being
cultivated, and just 8 are traded globally. A
world where we produce food for 12 billion people
when there are only 6.3 billion people living,
and, still, 800 million suffer from hunger and
malnutrition and many more suffer diseases that
could be eliminated easily with better food. A
world where food is modified to travel long
distances rather than to be nutritious and flavorful.

Manifestos on the Future of Food and Seed lays
out, with practical steps and far reaching
concepts, a program to ensure food and
agriculture become more socially and ecologically
sustainable. It harvests the work and ideas
produced by thousands of communities around the
world. Emerging from the historic gatherings at
Terra Madre, farmers, traders, and activists
diagnose and offer prescriptions to reverse
perhaps the worst food crisis faced in human history.

There is a growing realization that food politics
is vital to the health of our bodies, economies,
and environment—in other words, a matter of life
or death. Featuring contributions by Michael
Pollan, Prince Charles, Vandana Shiva, the
International Commission on the Future of Food
and Agriculture, and more, this pocket-sized and
galvanizing collection grapples with these
enormous costs, daring to imagine a food system—a
world—that is sustainable, healthy, and ultimately, just.

A world-renowned environmental leader and
thinker, Vandana Shiva is the author of many
books, including Earth Democracy, Water Wars, and Staying Alive.