[Sdpg] February 3-23, 2008 California/Oregon/Colorado Book Tour for “Simple Prosperity” Dave Wann

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri Jan 25 19:59:40 PST 2008

         California/Oregon/Colorado Book Tour for “Simple Prosperity”
                                               February 3-23, 2008

LIST OF DATES FOLLOW PR

Simple Prosperity , Finding Real Wealth in Sustainable Livestyle

Slide Show & Booksigning with
Dave Wannn

Best selling author David Wann presents 17 forms
of “real wealth” that can eradicate affluenza, a
pandemic he helped diagnose in the book,
Affluenza: The All-Consuming Epidemic. “When we
change a few key priorities and values, such as
what we mean by the word “success,” many of our
material wants will cease to be obsessions,” says
Wann. “Instead of fidgety, addictive consumption,
our lives can be filled with the real wealth of
sanity, health, hope, caring, connection, participation, and purpose.”

Sounds too good to be true? Wann’s new book,
Simple Prosperity , Finding Real Wealth in a
Sustainable Lifestyle www.davewann .com , draws
on the latest research to document how social
connections, good health, contact with nature,
stimulating work, leisure time, great
neighborhoods, and other forms of real wealth can
build up our immunity to affluenza. “As a result,
we become less vulnerable to the borrow-and-spend
mentality that’s backed the U.S. economy into a
corner,” says Wann. “By reevaluating many aspects
of daily life, including what we eat, where we
live, and what we buy, we’re starting to imagine
what a joyfully moderate, efficient,
compassionate lifestyle will look like. The good
news is that curing the pandemic of
over-consumption at both the personal and
cultural scale is not about giving up the good life but getting it back.”

Simple Prosperity offers many concrete examples
of how we can have twice the satisfaction for
half the resources (such as water, energy, and
materials.) By rethinking our reliance on energy
hogs like aluminum cans (which require 3% of the
world’s electricity to manufacture), bottled
water (which annually consumes power equivalent
to the gasoline used in three million cars),
monster houses, excessive airplane travel,
feedlot meat, and suburbs-without-stores, we can
also reduce our “ecological footprint,” a
measurement of how much land is required to
support a given standard of living. In the U.S.,
the average person requires about 30 acres, twice
the footprint of an average Italian or German.

Wann points to the transition Japan made in the
18th century as a model for what America can
become. “Land was in short supply, forest
resources were being depleted, and minerals such
as gold and copper were suddenly scarce as well.
Japan went from being resource-rich to
resource-poor, but its culture adapted by
developing a national ethic that centered on
moderation and efficiency. An attachment to the
material things in life was seen as demeaning,
while the advancement of crafts and human
knowledge were seen as lofty goals. Ritualistic
disciplines like fencing, martial arts, the tea
ceremony, flower arranging, literature, art, and
skillful use of the abacus all fluorished. Most
people had access to basic education and health
care, and the three largest cities in Japan had
1500 bookstores among them. “We can make that
kind of transition in America,” says Wann.

David Wann is president of the non-profit
Sustainable Futures Society, a board member of
the Cohousing Association of the U.S., and a
fellow of the Simplicity Forum, an association of
writers and thinkers on the topic of sensible,
sustainable lifestyles. Wann has received various
lifetime achievement awards for his work on
sustainability. He’s been an passionate gardener
for 25 years and coordinates the community garden
in the neighborhood he helped design – Harmony
Village in Golden, Colorado. He’s written nine
books and produced many award-winning TV programs
and videos on sustainable design and sustainable lifestyles.

         California/Oregon/Colorado Book Tour for “Simple Prosperity”
                                               February 3-23, 2008

February 3, San Diego: Shakti Rising, 829 F St.,
San Diego, CA 92102, 6:00 to 7:30 p.m., admission
free contact: Marc Bailey, 858-442-9307 playtoe1 at yahoo.com

February 4, Los Angeles: Community Hall of Holy
Nativity Church, 6700 W. 83rd, Westchester/LA
90045.  Admission free and open to all.  Mon 7:30-9:00 pm
Sposnsored by Environmental Change-Makers,
Contact: Joanne Poyourow310-670-4777LegacyLA at gmail.com

February 5, Ojai: Oak Grove School, Student
Center, 220 W. Lomita Ave, Ojai. 7:00 p.m.
Sponsored by Oak Grove School & the Ojai Valley
Green Coalition, admission free Contact: Sara
Benjamin, 805.895.1241 benjamin_sara at yahoo.com

February 6, Santa Ynez: Roasted Bean Coffee House, Santa Ynez, Wednesday,
6:45 p.m, admission free. Trish Hernandez crazymiles at earthlink.net

February 7, Ventura: Artbarn: 856 East Thompson
Blvd. (between Ash and Kalorama, behind Kids and
Families Together), 7:00 p.m. Ventura, 93001.
Contact Lynne Okun,: 805-338-2576 lbokun at earthlink.net

February 8:  KSCB 91.9 FM Sustainable World Radio
, 9:00 to 10 a.m., Santa Barbara. www.kcsb.org streamimg live

February 8, Santa Barbara: Santa Barbara Public
Library, Faulkner Gallery, 40 East Anapamu St, in
downtown Santa Barbara, 7:00 pm,  contact Wes 805-962-2571 lakinroe at silcom.com
Donation $5

February 9, San Luis Obispo: San Luis Obispo
City/County Library 995 Palm St, San Luis Obispo,
CA, 7 to 8:30 p.m.  Contact: Bob Banner, 805.544.9663 info at hopedance.org

February 10, Monterey: East Village Coffee House,
498 Washington St.,Monterey, Ca 93940. Contact:
Mika Gilmer, 831-236-0204, 6:30 p.m. mikagilmer at yahoo.com

February 12, Ukiah: The Saturday Afternoon Club,
107 S. Oak Street, Ukiah, CA 95482, 7:00 to 9:00
p.m. Sponsored by the Greater Ukiah Localization Project (GULP)
www.cloudforest.org/GULP, Contact: Cliff Paulin, (707) 463-0413,
cliffpaulin at hotmail.com.

February 15, San Francisco: Book signing at
Books, Inc., 7:00 p.m. 2551 Chestnut Street, San
Francisco, CA Contact: Rob Garcelon at 415-931-3633

February 20: Borders Bookstore, 2605 SW Cedar Hills Blvd., Beaverton, 7 p.m.
Contact: Lillian Knutsen at 503-644-6164

February 21: Catlin Gabel School, Cabell Center,
8825 SW Barnes Rd., Portland, OR 97225, 7:00 to
8:30 Contact Marie Godbey, mlgodbey at mac.com

February 23, First Congregational United Church
of Christ, 1500 Ninth Ave., Longmont,
CO  80501  7 p.m.
www.ucclongmont.org  303-776-4940 Contact: Marian Parsons, kayakers at frii.com