[Sdpg] Start to the wiki / collaborative calendaring, mapping, wikiing, blogging for san diego

Colin Leath cleath at j9k.org
Sat Jan 26 09:52:40 PST 2008

(I'm writing about:
http://hurmy.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page ; for some background,
see
http://sdtjdphevents.blogspot.com/2008/01/meeting-about-integrating-san-diego.html
)

I like this a lot--especially because it is very expandable (within the
limits of the name and the regional limit we give it) and because I'm not
the main motivator behind it :-)

Mapping (part one)

In mentioning the mapping piece, when talking about the sdtjdph blog with
others, Yelp.com came up--they have a pretty neat way of helping people find
neighborhoods.

Try a search in San Diego for "canyon".
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=canyon&ns=1&rpp=10&find_loc=san+diego%2C+ca

I think what you have will work for having a neighborhood focus, as long as
people can be aided in finding their neighborhood. [I suppose I could come
up with instructions here: type your zip into yelp.com--click on "search in
area (walking distance or biking distance)"]. I see, though, that yelp does
not have all neighborhoods.

----------------------
Motivational Sustainablity

Also (or primarily): How can we get people to contribute and care for this
thing? especially given that a lot of our work aims to get people away from
the computer. (or better said: to use the computer to enhance/aid their
in-person designing, planting, and meeting).

The main work I'd like to do:

(1) Tell people I meet/know about the collaborative site.

(2) Post occasionally to it. Events, reports, etc.

(3) Help compile areas of information I have interest in.

If we can create something that our existing communities (FNL? who else?
ASD? peace & justice? SD permaculturists?) would use, then maybe we don't
need to sweat about trying to market it **except as part of the marketing
we/others do for events we organize.**

For example, I could use the wiki for all events of the Rolando, College, El
Cerrito-area gardeners, advertising the regional wiki in the process.

Would FNL participants contribute?

So, could we create something that FNL list members would use? We could
answer composting questions on the wiki, for example, and reply to the list
with: "here's the wiki page addressing this question, add future responses
there. . ." e.g., http://hurmy.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Composting

Piggyback on other sites?

We might also, like Julie did with the Craigslist farm and gardens category,
try to get existing sites to offer what we want.

Getting events to map by neighborhood would be a significant
accomplishment--should we try this on our own, or try to piggyback on yelp
or craigslist or google by getting them to add that feature?

Categories

Categories are hard unless you can use tagging, such as on blogger, to let
content easily appear in multiple categories.

Say I post the Tule/Cattail weaving event. I tag it with "primitive skills,
[nearby neighborhoods/zip codes], San Diego River, handcrafts, [the date]"

Ideally it shows up in all the related places in the categories, calendar,
and maps.

Ideally, looking at the knowledge base on composting would include a link to
related events (or display them in a frame).

Mapping (continued)

The Mapping element of that seems the most challenging. If we can automate
the following step (or use another site's implementation) for converting an
address to a Latitude and Longitude, that would be a start:

The following site lets me type in 92115, USA to get decimal lat, long:
*Decimal* *32.756669**-117.070805*
http://www.mapchannels.com/GeocoderSimple.aspx

Also, ideally we could geocode a polygon and a route--such as the area
within which a bikeride would take place... and have searches by
zip/neighborhood, bring up any content item with a polygon that overlaps.

Check this out:
I added an event to yelp without knowing the exact address (only the cross
streets):
http://www.yelp.com/events/san-diego-sd-food-not-lawns-meeting

Peace,
Colin
http://sdtjdph.blogspot.com/

Note that we're not the only one working on this sort of project--see also:
http://www.sd-fun.org/ (SD Family Urban Network) for a local-focused wiki,
found through http://carsharingsd.blogspot.com/