[Sdpg] March 2008 Newsletter

Quail Springs info at quailsprings.org
Wed Mar 12 20:13:11 PDT 2008

Quail Springs' March 2008 Newsletter

Spring is nearly here and it certainly can be felt at Quail Springs as the lower fields are being prepared and planted and
our greenhouse is being raised.

Learning spinning and felting with Andrea last week was awesome.  Thank you, Andrea!  The felted creations from the
workshop are turning heads, and warming heads as well :)

We are happy to announce a FREE 1-day workshop introducing The Ecology of Leadership Program to the extended
Southern California community.  This program was developed at the Regenerative Design Institute.  See below for more
info, or go to http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=197098421&u=2008250.

The next community event at Quail Springs is the April Garden Service Learning weekend which is a FREE weekend to
come out and play in the garden.  We're excited to have Geoff Lawton back for Quail Springs' third Permaculture
Design Certification course this August!  FYI, PDC graduates - we cancelled the Advanced Permaculture Workshop
because we want to focus our energy on the So Cal Permaculture Convergence and helping to develop a regional
identity and vital network of cooperation in the So Cal permaculture world.  We hope you will participate.  We're super
excited to bring new folks to learn and work on the land through the Integrative Service Learning program this year
(and in July for the True Nature Intensive) and are having fun developing those offerings.

While we'll miss our dear friend Monica, who has been an integral part of Quail Springs as an intern for the last year,
we're excited to see her grow in her journey as she prepares to intern at a great farm up north near where she will also
be able to play her favorite sport, field hockey.  Monica will always be part of the Quail Springs family and this shift
makes it more fun to anticipate visits!

We are grateful for all the people in the local community and around the world that are growing health and
abundance and are touching the earth and one another kindly.
-	  Blessings from all of us at Quail Springs.

EVENTS and COURSES

"Hands and Hearts" Skill Builder Series
This series of workshops focus on various hands-on skills, taught by the Quail Springs teaching team and special guest
teachers, all with the intention of using our hands and hearts to regenerate healthy community life, meet our human
needs, and honor the natural world.

Building a Cob Oven and Baking Bread
with Quail Springs' teaching team
May 24-25, Saturday and Sunday

Moccasins and Leather Work
with Warren Brush, co-founder of Quail Springs
October 4-5, Saturday and Sunday

$100 for each 2 day Skill Builder workshop, includes camping.
Optional materials fee may apply for each workshop.  Meals will be organized potluck.
Contact info at quailsprings.org for more information or to register.

Ecology of Leadership Program for Santa Barbara
FREE 1 day introduction
Developed at the Regenerative Design Institute by James Stark and Christopher Kuntzsch
April 5th,  Sunday     9am-5:30pm   at the Unitarian Society 1535 Santa Barbara St. in Santa Barbara
Free of charge with online registration, $25 at the door

To register or to learn more http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=197098421&u=2008251

The program offers a project and community-based leadership development journey which blends inquiry and skill
development, as well as connection to self and the natural world, with principles of systems thinking and
Permaculture.  What emerges is a unique and regenerative model of leadership that supports those seeking to make a
difference in their lives and their communities in stepping more fully into their gifts and passions, and onto their paths
of service in the world.  The program prepares the soil for the formation of a vibrant, local leadership circle that
supports program participants in continuing to evolve themselves and their leadership work in the greater Santa
Barbara community.

As we face the challenges of our changing world, many people are searching for avenues to make a difference - to
play a part in transforming our families, communities, and the greater world in which we live. Each one of us has the
potential to bring forth our gifts, develop the tools we need to make a difference, and live up to our own leadership
potential so we can be of service.

Whether you have prior experience and training, or if have recently felt called to step onto a path of leadership for the
first time, this program provides a unique opportunity to deeply explore who you are, who you wish to be, and how
you will contribute to others. You will articulate your vision, get in deeper touch with your gifts and develop new tools,
routines, mindsets and skills to be more effective in manifesting what you see for yourself and the world.

"Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed it's the only thing that ever has." -
Margaret Mead

Spring Gardening Service Learning Weekend
April 26-27, Saturday and Sunday - FREE

Join Quail Springs as we plant and prepare our gardens this spring!  This is also a time for interested people to receive a
tour of the site and learn about site design, and enjoy the company of community.  This event is free of cost, with
community potluck meals and camping nearby.  All ages are welcome and no experience is needed.  RSVP to
info at quailsprings.org to receive current gate combos, potluck ideas, and tools/materials to bring.

Integrative Service Learning Journey

Offered from April through June, and again mid-September through November
Stays of 2 weeks to 3 months

The Integrative Service Learning Journey is an individually designed opportunity, including 25 hours per week
dedicated service on the farm, with an optional emphasis in natural building or farming/gardening.  Participants will
have opportunity to learn through side by side mentoring with Quail Springs caretakers in a wide variety of areas,
including:   natural building, permaculture design, food systems, renewable energy, composting, watershed
restoration, drylands water harvesting, consensus decision making and community organization, beekeeping, cooking,
pottery, and much more!  In addition to the service learning focus, one will have time to pursue independent study or
research in your area of interest with support of Quail Springs' diverse team of resident caretakers, as well as personal
development, exploration of the land and enjoyment of community life.  Participants will have the opportunity to
participate and support concurrent events on-site at no extra cost, such as the Heart and Hands Skill Builders (Cob
Oven Building and Bread Baking, May 24-25.  Moccasins and Leather Work, October 4-5.  Others TBA.)

Cost includes nutritious meals and camping nearby:  $280 for 2 week session,  $80-140 per week (sliding scale)
thereafter for up to 3 months.

Contact to apply:  info at quailsprings.org or 805-886-7239

True Nature Intensive in Permaculture, Nature Awareness and Community

Offered for the full month of July 2008

The True Nature Intensive gives the participant a practical understanding of the diverse wefts and weaves of the
Permaculture and community living basket through experiential learning opportunities, workshops, facilitated nature
awareness, and immersion in a supportive community.    This course will be supported by Quail Springs' diverse
teaching team, as well as guest teachers.

Be a part of the healing change that is rooting itself in the earth....

The intensive curriculum is delivered in a balance of hands-on application and supportive presentation and includes:

*	Natural Building  -   Basic understandings of design, site selection and resource identification.  Building with
cob, strawbale, waddle and daub, and timber.   Build a cob oven.
*	Sustainable Food Systems  -   Soil health and regeneration.  Nutrition farming and gardening.  Food Forestry.
Dryland cropping.  Perennial gardening.  Planting, tending, seed saving, harvesting, and storing of crops.
*	Water Health and Reticulation in a Drylands Environment  -  Grey water systems.  Rainwater harvesting.
Building Gabions.  Bio-Swale systems both in macro and micro scale.
*	Closing the Waste Cycle  -  Thermophyllic Compost toilet construction and safe use.  Composting basics
*	Energy Systems  -  Introduction to solar energy systems:  PV, cooking, passive cooling and heating.   Energy
storage.  Build a small thermophyllic energy plant.
*	Watershed Restoration   -   Determining the health of a watershed.  Riparian regeneration design and
application.  Water testing.
*	Permaculture Design  -  Methods of Design.  Basic introduction to all chapters of the Permaculture Designer's
Manual including: PC philosophy, Concepts and Themes in Design, Methods of Design, Pattern Understanding,
Climate, Trees, Water, Soils, Earthwork, Tropics, Drylands, Temperate, Aquaculture, and Strategies of an
alternative global nation.   Landscape tracking and observation.  Permaculture design application.
*	Nature Awareness  -  Awareness awakening exercises.  Tracking.  Landscape observation and journaling.
*	Personal Growth  -   Solo sit spot routine.  Solo Fire - Fast option.   Community support.
*	Weaves and Wefts of Growing Community  -  Council.   Weaving Synergy.   Gratitude as a foundation.
Supporting the many while tending oneself.   Be a working member of a growing community.
*	Sharing Your Gifts - A multitude of opportunities to share your gifts for the community to learn from and
appreciate.

Cost, includes meals and camping nearby:  $1,000-$2,500 sliding scale for the full month of July, 2008.
Limited to 8 participants.

Contact info at quailsprings.org or 805-886-7239

Permaculture Design Certification course with Geoff Lawton
August 16-27, 2008

We're happy to host our third Permaculture Design Certification course at Quail Springs, and welcome back one of the
world's top permaculture teachers, Geoff Lawton.  For more about Geoff Lawton, visit http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=197098421&u=2008252 .

Tuition with early registration discounts for deposits sent by respective dates:  $1,200 (May 16).  $1350 (July 1).   $1450
(after July 1).  Deposit is $400.  Limited case-by-case work trade and payment plans, please inquire asap.

Contact info at quailsprings.org  to register.

Permaculture is a holistic approach to land use design, based on ecological principles and patterns. It aims to create
stable, productive systems that provide for human needs, harmoniously integrating the land with people.  This world-
recognized, 72-hour course provides an introduction to Permaculture as set forth by movement founders Bill Mollison
and David Holmgren.  This course covers sustainable living systems - with everything from food systems, water
harvesting, waste cycling, home design, to climate care, and much more - for a wide variety of landscapes and
climates.  Graduates of this 72 hour Permaculture Design Certification course (PDC) will receive a Certificate in
Permaculture Design. See http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=197098421&u=2008253  to learn more about the Certification, and options for continuing study to
earn the Diploma.

First Annual Southern California Permaculture Convergence
August 29 - 31, 2008

With world renowned arid land experts Geoff Lawton and Brad Lancaster
Premiering Geoff Lawton's new film and Brad Lancaster's new book in California

Join permaculture colleagues to learn from one another's work and begin to develop an ongoing support network to
collaboratively respond to a rapidly changing world.

For PDC grads only.  Limited to 50 participants.
$150 early registration by July 1st.  $200 thereafter.  Includes meals and camping

Convened by Quail Springs and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network

Contact info at quailsprings.org or 805-886-7239.

CANCELLED
Advanced Permaculture Workshop - with Geoff Lawton and Brad Lancaster
September 2-3, 2008

This 2 day advanced workshop will offer on the ground opportunity to learn and work with Geoff and Brad.  For more
about Geoff Lawton, visit http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=197098421&u=2008254.   For more about Brad Lancaster, visit
http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=197098421&u=2008255. More info coming soon!

EcoNest workshops
The beginning stages of the EcoNest will involve workshops in which builders, home owners, or other interested folks
will work with the EcoNest team in a series of two workshops that give the participant a solid foundation in
understanding this unique system of sustainable building.  Dates and cost are TBA.  If you would like to be on an initial
interest contact list, please email info at quailsprings.org.

Available for purchase.  Quail Springs, An Experiment in Permaculture

Quail Springs, An Experiment in Permaculture, by Joss Jaffe, serves as an important research and development tool
supporting permaculture design and the long term vision of Quail Springs.  If you are interested in purchasing the
book, please let us know at info at quailsprings.org.  The cost of this full color book with CD is $30, or $10 for the CD
only, plus $5 shipping.

Reminder to Quail Springs' friends, family, interns and other guests...
As of January 1, 2008, the gate codes with be changing regularly.  Therefore, you will need to contact us for the current code even if
you have been here many times before.  We are doing this to help maintain good relationship with the private landowner who we
share the road with and   It is critical that each and every vehicle coming to Quail Springs strictly observes the 10 MPH speed limit on
the private road, as well as all traffic laws and normal driving rules.  Thank you for understanding and helping!

Quail Springs is a project of the True Nature Society, a community supported non-profit organization.

Please consider giving a financial or in-kind donation to help us continue offering important services to the community.

To make a donation online, visit http://ent.groundspring.org/EmailNow/pub.php?module=URLTracker&cmd=track&j=197098421&u=2008256
Or send in your contribution to PO Box 417, New Cuyama, CA 93254.   Thank you!

In-kind donation needs list

*	Natural insulation materials
*	Fencing materials
*	Recycled building materials (lumber,
doors, tile, windows, etc.)
*	Mulching materials
*	Stone for gabion building
*	Compost
*	Old sky lights to be used in garden
*	Shading materials
*	Self-powered arc welder/generator
*	Motorized bicycle, moped, scooter
*	Bike repair tools and spare parts
*	Flail mower
*	Tractor
*	3-point hitch Grader for our John Deere
210C tractor
*	3-point hitch backhoe attachment for
John Deere 210C tractor
*	Bobcat
*	Wood-working tools
*	Shop tools
*	Super efficient washing machine
*	3 compartment stainless steel sink
*	Diesel generator
*	Diesel to vegetable oil conversion for
our Ford F250
*	Four wheel drive vehicles
*	Solar hot water panels
*	On-demand hot water heater