[Sdpg] Friday, May 30 , Sustainable World Radio with Peter Bane Publisher Permaculture Activist Magazine KCSB 91.9FM PST, 9-10am streaming live

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu May 29 00:47:08 PDT 2008

Sustainable World Radio: Friday mornings at
9:00-10:00 am PST on KCSB 91.9 FM in Santa
Barbara, California and streaming live on
www.kcsb.org. Also found
on  www.sustainableworldradio.com, or www.radio4all.net later in the week...

         Join Jill Cloutier of Sustainable World
Radio Fri. May 30 , 9am ,  interview with Peter
Bane publisher of the Permaculture Activist
Magazine www.permacultureactivist.net,
Permaculture Teacher, Writer and Designer.
He was awarded in 2005 the Diploma of
Permaculture Design in Media and Communication,
Teaching, Community Development, and Trusteeship
at the 2005 7th International Permaculture
Convergence in Croatia for 15 years of Permaculture Work and Design.
Also joining the interview will be Wesley Roe of
Santa Barbara Permaculture Network

MORE DETAILS ON PETER BANE

Peter Bane is the publisher  of Permaculture
Activist Magazine  www.permacultureactivist.net,
the longest running journal in the permaculture
world.(23 years). The PC Activist publishes a
magazine 4 times a year , sells permaculture
books and videos, shares articles on Pc and has
an amazing World Permaculture Directory listing
PC teachers, groups/guilds, associations and
Institutes. for the PC community. (thanks to webmaster Keith Johnson)

In 1994 Peter Bane with a group of 12 founding
members bought 320 acres of wet mountain valleys
SE of Asheville in 1994  to create Earthhaven
Ecovillage (Permaculture
Designed)  www.earthaven.org/  and saw its
membership grow rapidly from 12 to 30, then more
slowly toward the 65 or so members it has today.
In 1997 he created a non profit Cultural Edge to
teach Permaculture and Natural Building Courses.
More than 40 buildings have been put up in 13
years, including a meeting hall, two barns, and a
social club, cabins, co-housing blocks, and
single-family homes. Most of these buildings are
innovative in various aspects of natural
building, and of course, the entire community is
still off-grid. It continues to develop along
lines of energy and material self-reliance.
Agriculture has begun to develop over the past three years.

In 2004 Peter served on the site committee for
9th Continental Bioregional Congress  , which was
held at Earthaven to great acclaim in July of
that year. Over 230 persons attended from all
over the Hemisphere bringing together the North
American Bioregional movement with  Ecovillage and Permaculture movements

  In 2006 , Peter Bane and his partner Keith
Johnson (Permaculture Teacher and Designer) left
Earthaven Ecovillage and relocated to
Bloomington, Indiana where they are creating a
suburban mini-farm. Peter is a consultant to
Indiana  University and Vice-President of the
Association  for Regenerative Culture. www.arculture.org/ .
Also working with the Community Solution in
Yellow Springs, Ohio,  Peter  made significant connections to the national
community of Peak Oil activists with the result
that he now find myself on the City of
Bloomington Peak Oil Task Force advising
municipal government on the issues of Energy Descent.

ARTICLE

Teaching for Change
by Peter Bane
http://www.permacultureactivist.net/PeterBane/PBDesigning4Change.htm

Following a trail of slightly mysterious clues, I
found my way into a Permaculture Design Course
some thirteen years ago, in January of 1990.
Emerging on the other side a rainy fortnight
later, I felt a bit like Alice after she
disappeared down the rabbit hole: nothing was
quite the same as it had been before. Or perhaps
it was, only more so. Whatever words I put to it
now, my life had changed: There was no going back.

That heady combination of camaraderie,
intellectual stimulation, intimacy, and holistic
learning provided a peak experience, one I can still summon vividly to mind.

But what had changed?

On the surface and in short order, everything:
job, career, relationships, residence, studies,
daily activities, associations, friendships. What
had changed fundamentally was my view of the
world and my relation to it. As my core values
had at last been linked with a coherent means of
expression, all the outer forms of my life
underwent an upheaval. I had found a way to live
responsibly on earth, learned to see through
present problems toward future solutions, and I
think most importantly, discovered that there was
important work to be done and that I could do
some of it. The power of making these discoveries
in the company of others similarly “turned on”
was profound and long-lasting. Why should any of
this matter? Of course, the turmoil and
transformation were exciting and full of personal
meaning, but the changes I embraced in my own
life have, I believe, made a positive impact on society.

Moreover­and this is why I write­this personal
experience of change offers some insight about
the process itself. And the process of personal
empowerment and transformation, engendered as I
suggest by taking the Permaculture Design Course,
lends credence to the strategy of teaching as a
vehicle for progressive social change.

It would be foolish to imagine that my calling is
the only way good work can come about in the
world. Certainly permaculture is not the only
answer to the world’s woes. But it does have a
role to play. And those of us who carry this gift
need to remember the value of sharing it.

.... article continues at
http://www.permacultureactivist.net/PeterBane/PBDesigning4Change.htm