[Sdpg] McFetridge; couchsurfing; sunday streets

Colin Leath colinleath at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 12:54:09 PST 2008

First, Duncan McFetridge (sofar.org) got a largeish OpEd in Friday, 12/19's union tribune ( tinyurl.com/76kry3 ) about how Sandag is using any additional federal money for roads rather than transit. And how misguided that is.

Second, the couchsurfing.com site  potentially has a lot of relevance for carfree people. It is beautiful in many ways--read what the Brazilian on the founder's page ( couchsurfing.com/founders.html ) has to say about relationships, for example.

My page there:
couchsurfing.com/people/colinleath -- if we can be friends and vouch for each other, well, we may appear more friendly.

I got to scheming about starting a CouchSurfing group--eventually developing the name

"aspiring carfree, planefree, and motorvehiclefree couchsurfers and hosts"

--and considered how to implement it (one global, many local groups), and what the description, mission statement would be.

I haven't done that yet, though. You'll note there are several carfree, planefree, and urban design groups there already.

Third? I scheduled a post for SDTJDPH.blogspot.com with a photo of an SD street and a comment on how the design could be improved (should be published 12/25?).

no, third: the SD Ish group: some of you may be interested in the San Diego Sunday Streets group on linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/1496767

Carfree guys: You might benefit from knowing that the activistsandiego.org youth activists have organized "reclaim the streets" events in the past. Not sure if they'd collborate. I did send the link to one ASD connection.

peace & creative love,
Colin