[Sdpg] world beat sangha; no-till no-water beets & mustard; sbfoodnotlawns & kiosk / free box; _perennial vegetables_

Colin Leath colinleath at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 09:06:56 PDT 2009

SDFNL/sdpg:
the question: do I take forever to make a nice report or just pass on the
information?

because if you don't get it now I won't see you Sunday 4/26 at 4pm at the
world beat center!!

eventually I hope to write things up better for sdtjdph.blogspot.com,
sdcityrepair.blogspot.com, sdfnl.blogspot.com, sdperm.blogspot.com . . .

[1] WORLD BEAT SANGHA

Here's the main thing:

there is a local thich nhat hanh-inspired sangha:
http://worldbeatcenter.ning.com/group/worldbeatsangha

world beat sangha-- or email
namaste.reid at gmail.com  or laura hunter: earthlover at sbcglobal.net to
be emailed updates.

the meeting is 4pm on Sunday at the World Beat Center.

(what this has to do with gardening, fnl, pc, ask me in person when I see
you)

[2] WHAT HAPPEND TO THE GARDEN HERE YOU ALL HELPED PLANT?

I want to share with you that the garden in the back yard (
4602seminole.blogspot.com) is still growing well and it has received *no
irrigation* (and no intentional human planting) only the natural rain
(according to my grandma). Beets that went to seed last year reseeded, and
mustards are growing well. So beet and mustard greens are the main no-till,
no-watering crop.

and my grandma eats the beet greens!!

I attached a photo. (
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/0w9CzrgbsliahvLqmR4rAA?authkey=Gv1sRgCN7w25rh3__Dfg&feat=directlink).

[3] _PERENNIAL VEGETABLES_

The book

_perennial vegetables_

http://perennialvegetables.org/about-the-book/

is truly a wonderful resource for San Diegans. . .

they have the book at QS (quailsprings.org) and reading it (there) makes you
wish you were in an SD-like growing zone.

The book addresses a lot of myths about various plants (oxalic acid for
one), and shares many stunning example of applied permaculture.

[4] SBFOODNOTLAWNS + FREE BOX + KIOSK

I also plan to share about a free box / kiosk I found in Santa Barbara-- (by
a member of sbfoodnotlanws.org )

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/kPwRkfvZWwwSklbWjesCzw?authkey=Gv1sRgCIDD1e2Mzera9gE&feat=directlink

(this is the partial realization of the community bulletin board
idea<http://sdcityrepair.blogspot.com/2008/01/meeting-sunday-feb-3-10-11am-mystic.html>
)

but I guess I want to wait until I've rotated and captioned the other photos
in the set!! will be a while.

---------------------------------------
[sideways 8] EXPATS RETURNING? REVERSAL OF PROGRESSIVE BRAIN &  BODY  DRAIN?

Last but not least, here's a special secret/gossip:

A co-founder of city repair / village building convergence now lives on a
rural community in southern california. . .  Viva socal!

http://www.google.com/search?q=eva+miller+village+building+convergance

http://evalarevolution.blogspot.com/
---

a breath and a smile,
Colin

I'm planning to be in the Santa Barbara area soon . . .  The general idea:

http://directory.ic.org/22140/Los_Padres_Walkers

but who knows.

if you're interested in a three-week sierra walk beginning July 20-27th or
so, let me know.

pardon the hasty and not so mindful speech and gossip.