[Sdpg] *Thur MAY 28/ECO-Film Night Honoring Visionary Architect Nader Khalili

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun May 24 20:41:51 PDT 2009

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
  ECO-Film Night
Honoring the Life of Visionary Architect
  Nader Khalili
with film-maker Dastan Khalili & documentary film feature
  "Earth Turns to Gold"

Thursday, May 28, 2009 7pm, donation $5
Santa Barbara downtown Public Library, Faulkner Gallery

           Designing with Nature, using Earth,
Water, Air, Fire and the simple shapes of arches,
vaults and domes, Nader Khalili taught we could
easily build homes for humanity with nothing more
than the soil beneath our feet.  He suggests that
if we recognize the equilibrium of these
elements, we will never have any environmental
problems.  Learning the perfect harmony of nature
and how it can be applied to architecture, this
practical harmony can help us build habitats that
are sustainable, non-toxic, and ecologically
sound.

Join Santa Barbara Permaculture Network as it
celebrates the life of Nader Khalili, an Iranian
born architect strongly influenced by Sufi
mysticism and the poetry of Rumi, who built
high-rises in both Los Angeles and Tehran until a
personal quest took him to the deserts of the
Middle East to discover ancient building
techniques that helped him bridge the past and
the future with innovative earthen building
designs.  Khalili was the founder of the
California Institute of Earth & Architecture
(Cal-Earth), located in Hesperia, CA
(<http://www.calearth.org/>www.calearth.org).

Dastin Khaliliís film documents the extraordinary
life work of his father, from designs for NASA
and lunar settlements, to emergency housing for
the poor, to 3 bedroom homes for the California
suburbs able to withstand fire and earthquakes.

				"Earth turns to
Gold in the hands of the Wise" Rumi

Presented by Santa Barbara Permaculture Non-Profit
<http://www.sbpermaculture.org/>www.sbpermaculture.org, (805) 962-2571

The event takes place on Thursday, May 28, 2009,
7pm at the downtown Santa Barbara Public Library,
40 East Anapamu St, Santa Barbara. Donation $5,
no reservations needed. For more information,
(805) 962-2571, margie at sbpermaculture.org,
www.sbpermaculture.org

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
    an educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
  www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in
new directions, in order to grow." - Anonymous