[Sdpg] *FRI JUNE 26/Sustainable World Radio Interview with Tara Blasco & Lyn Hebenstreit of GRA Tanzania

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Jun 23 20:59:33 PDT 2009

Friday, JUNE 26, 9-10am, Sustainable World Radio
  Interview with Tara Blasco and Lyn Hebenstreit
  of Global Resource Alliance in Tanzania

on Sustainable World Radio, KCSB 91.9 FM PST
  also streaming live on www.kcsb.org, interviews
posted later on  www.sustainableworldradio.com

	Join Jill Cloutier of Sustainable World
Radio for an interview with Tara Blasco and Lyn
Hebenstreit of Global Resource Alliance (GRA,
http://globalresourcealliance.org/) working in
the Lake Victoria region of Tanzania with
natural, holistic and sustainable programs in
water (primary water), permaculture, AIDS orphan
support, education, malaria prevention,
micro-finance and more.

Joining Jill in studio will be Wes Roe and Margie
Bushman of Santa Barbara Permaculture Network who
first connected with Lyn and Tara when organizing
a conference in Santa Barbara called Permaculture
& Sustainable Aid for the 21st Century in July
2006.  Both Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
and Global Resource Alliance Tanzania will be
attending and participating in the upcoming 9th
International Permaculture Conference in Malawi,
Africa in November 2009 (www.ipc9.org).

More Info/Resources/Websites:

Global Resource Alliance (GRA)

GRA is an all-volunteer 501(c)(3) organization
http://globalresourcealliance.org/ dedicated to
bringing hope, joy and abundance to the world's
most impoverished regions. By sharing ideas,
volunteers and financial resources with local,
community based organizations we seek to promote
natural, holistic and sustainable solutions to
the challenges of poverty, malnutrition and
disease. The inspiration and leadership for our
work comes from the communities we serve. We
believe that empowering local communities to
address pressing social, economic and
environmental challenges according to their own
vision and their own creative potential is the
key to lasting solutions

All GRA's programs and projects are designed and
implemented in collaboration with local residents
and organizations through a process called
Community Participatory Development, where all
residents are represented and claim a stake in
the positive outcome of projects.

Lyn Hebenstreit
  Lyn founded Global Resource Alliance (GRA) in
April, 2002 after being invited to work as a
volunteer finance and accounting consultant for
Foundation HELP, Tanzania - a small NGO on the
shores of Lake Victoria. Prior to that, he owned
and operated an industrial sewing machine
company, served as Chief Financial Officer for a
manufacturing firm and, for the past 15 years,
has served as an accounting and database
consultant for many small businesses and
non-profit organizations in Ojai, California.

Tara María Blasco
  Tara coordinates GRA programs related to
alternative health, malaria prevention, education
and orphans support and has been involved with
the organization as a volunteer since 2003 and
has served on the Board of Directors since 2004.
  She holds a Ph.D. in clinical psychology with a
specialty in prenatal and birth psychology from
Santa Barbara Graduate Institute
  Presently, Tara lives in California with her
husband Lyn Hebenstreit and co-directs the Ojai
Wisdom Center.

<<<>>>

Upcoming Event:
Fundraiser
Sunday June 28, 2009 12pm-5pm Water for Live GRA
Event Ojai Retreat, 106 Besant Road, Ojai, CA

Global Resource Alliance is holding an event on
June 28th from 12-5pm at the Ojai Retreat. We'll
be providing a delicious complimentary lunch and
refreshments. We'll have live music and screen
two new short films about our programs in the
Lake Victoria Region of Tanzania. One of the
films is about our water project that has already
brought water to thousands of people who do not
have access to clean, safe water.  We hope you
can make it!

We will be raising money with a silent auction
that features a beautiful collection of Beatrice
Wood pottery. We have also had several donations
of healing services, products and art and would
like to offer even more. This is where we could
use your help!  I've attached a donor form for
the silent auction in case you are so moved to
donate an item. Your donation is 100% tax
deductable and 100% of auction proceeds will go
to programs benefiting impoverished communities
in Tanzania.
Thank you very much for your consideration to
donate to our auction. Please come have lunch,
socialize, bid and learn more about GRA's
natural, holistic and sustainable programs in
water, AIDS orphan support, education,
permaculture, malaria prevention, microfinance
and more on June 28th!

Water Resource Development: Primary Water
  Water is essential to overcoming hunger, poverty
and disease, yet worldwide, more than one billion
people still lack access to safe drinking water.
Five million people, mostly children, die each
year from water-borne diseases - double the
number of deaths caused by AIDS. Some 60% of all
infant mortality is linked to infectious and
parasitic diseases, most of them water-related.
  In December 2003, the UN General Assembly
proclaimed the years 2005 - 2015 to be the
International Decade for Action, "Water for Life"
- an international drive to bring safe water and
basic sanitation to communities around the world.
The goal set by the
<http://www.unmillenniumproject.org/index.htm>UN
Millennium Project is to halve, by 2015, the
proportion of people without sustainable access
to safe drinking water and basic sanitation.

GRA has responded to the call by initiating a
bold and unconventional water resource
development project called "Maji Mengi" (Abundant
Water). Utilizing innovative techniques developed
by the late Stephan Riess, of Ojai, CA, we will
begin drilling boreholes and developing wells in
communities throughout the Mara region of
Tanzania suffering from severe water shortages.
The project's leader, Pal Pauer, is a protégée of
Riess with over thirty years experience locating
and tapping the abundant, crystalline water found
in fractured primary rock.

Kinesi, a village of 5,000 residents in the
Tarime district of Tanzania, will be the first
site developed beginning September, 2007.
Residents presently use polluted, untreated water
from Lake Victoria for drinking, bathing,
cooking, irrigation and laundry. Clean, safe
water will not only dramatically reduce the
incidence of cholera, typhoid, dysentery,
schistosomaisis and other parasitic infections,
but also demonstrate the potential of "earth
generated" water to enhance the quality of life
in communities currently without access to safe
sources of water.
  More About Primary Water
  Primary water is created within the Earth's
interior and travels toward the surface via
fissures and fractures in primary rock. It is
accessed by drilling directly into bedrock, often
at depths of just 150 to 300 feet. Also referred
to as new, juvenile, or earth-generated water,
discussions of primary water can be found in
modern literature, although it is not generally
recognized by the hydrological community. It's
potential to ameliorate the world's growing water
crisis remains largely unrealized.
  Evidence of primary water comes from a variety
of sources. Natural springs, for instance, can be
found throughout the world that have been
producing thousands of gallons of pure, fresh
water per minute continuously since biblical
times. Many of these, like the Fountain of Apollo
in Libya and the Ain Feigh in Syria, have seeded
civilizations. Others, like the giant spring
gushing from solid granite in Kings Canyon
National Park, are merely wonders of nature.
  In addition to these naturally occurring
springs, primary water is often encountered
accidentally when tunneling through rock for
mines, roadways or waterways - even at high
elevations, far above any drainage basin. The
famous Comstock silver mine on the Eastern slope
of Mt. Davidson near Nevada City, for example,
pumped over 5 million gallons a day out of
flooded mineshafts until the pumps failed and the
mine was closed in 1886. In the 1950's water was
struck tunneling through the Santa Ynez Mountains
in Santa Barbara that flowed at over 13 million
gallons a day. Construction was halted until the
gushing fissure could be sealed.
  Many castles in Europe, built hundreds of years
ago on high rocky promontories, have wells hand
hewn in solid rock that have been producing
fresh, pure water non-stop for centuries. More
recently, in the past ten years, exploration
projects in Sudan, Somalia and the West Indies
islands of Trinidad and Tobago have successfully
tapped the abundant water locked in fractured
bedrock. By defying conventional hydrological
wisdom, an innovative engineering company was
able to obtain yields of up to 50 times that
estimated by the "experts", at a fraction of the
cost of other alternatives.
  Utilizing techniques perfected over many decades
of experience, GRA's primary water project will
demonstrate practical, economical approaches to
locating and tapping the Earth's abundant water
to meet the needs of communities suffering from
severe water shortages.

-end-

- Release Date: 06/22/09 06:54:00

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
    an educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
  www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in
new directions, in order to grow." - Anonymous

First Annual Southern California Permaculture Convergence August 2008
  http://socalifornia.permacultureconvergence.org