[Sdpg] August 2009 Newsletter

FRIENDS OF THE TREES SOCIETY michael at friendsofthetrees.net
Fri Aug 28 13:20:24 PDT 2009

August 2009 Newsletter

FARM HELP NEEDED!  September, October and into November. Need help with
harvesting and processing vegetables, medicinal herbs and seeds. Lots of
hands-on knowledge to be gained. Still looking for farming partners for the
long term. Email or call about details.

HELP!! TOO MUCH FOOD!
I have upped my food production so well that I am sort of drowning in ripe
food with not enough time to harvest it and market it.  One permaculture buddy
from the coast came and got a truckload of apricots and vegetables to
distribute in his locale. He lined up orders before he came and he tacked on a
price increase to pay for the trip.  People in Bellingham and Whidbey Island
are talking about making a run.

Farmer to consumer-group wholesale prices. I work with two other local
farmers. We like to sell by the truckload.
Tomatoes, melons, eggplant, basil, peppers, corn, green beans, garlic
available now.  Miscellaneous other crops as well. Fall storage crops later:
potatoes, beets, leeks, carrots, winter squash, Jerusalem artichokes.

email Skeeter  mailto:friendsofthetrees at yahoo.com?subject=produce

Which way is the world turning?

On August 15th I hosted a talk by permaculturist Robyn Francis in my home town
of Tonasket. She gave a great presentation on some of the sustainability
initiatives in her town of Nimbin in New South Wales, Australia.

She also gave a photo tour of her two visits to Cuba in 2008 and 2009.  Some
points of the Cuba presentation included: The US Embargo has always been hard
on Cubans but they persisted with the help of the USSR trade block. When the
USSR fell apart in 1990, Cubans entered a very difficult period, which they
term the “Special Period” During the Special Period the country had a
crash course in gardening and low-tech agriculture and came out of the period
still intact and are now the only country in the world which has achieved high
rates of literacy and an exemplary medical system with health care for all;
and at the same time they are living within their ecological footprint. The
two hurricanes which hit Cuba in 2008 really set them back again.

The Cubans do not own many things.  Here in the United States we would call it
an incredibly deep economic depression if we had to live with so few things.
The presentation really made me realize how well off most of us in the Pacific
Northwest are in material goods.  It was also sobering to see how fast things
can fall part if a super-power falls.  And what some of the consequences could
be.

My past readers will know that I have been researching world economic news,
trends, analysis and prophecies for some time. If you read beyond the US
mainstream press, it is obvious that a lot of people around the world are
openly discussing what the next international currency is going to be.  A lot
of them are powerfully-placed people.  The exact timing, rate of fall and
events are still in the making, but the handwriting is on the wall.  At some
point the US is going to go through its “special period” and material
goods will be much harder to obtain. We are in a period of grace. We should
make good use of this period of grace. Now is still a good time to work on
reducing your consumption, upping your food production, and making more local
friends. What is your Plan B?

Two of my favorite sites for economic news and analysis are:
LEAP 2020. http://www.leap2020.eu/
Dmitry Orlov. cluborlov.blogspot.com

David Spangler's Desk, Current Issue #27 – Call To Action: Fear and Loathing
in the World. Alert from David Spangler.  David is feeling a lot of
manipulation in the subtle realms at this time and gives an exercise for us to
contribute to love and peace and to counteract the fear and anger being
promulgated in the world.  Something positive to do rather then feeling
helpless.
http://www.lorian.org/davidspage.html#gpm1_2

Fear is one of the most potent weapons being used to hold humanity back from
reaching a higher state of consciousness.  The corporate mass media is a
propaganda tool to instill fear and anger.  I pay attention to what the media
is promoting to the public, but treat it mainly as propaganda.  These days
there is a lot of fear hype about the swine flu. The recent strain of swine
flu is almost certainly man-made. There is also a lot of talk on the web about
a plot to give mass flu vaccinations in the US and other parts of the world
which will actually be contaminated with the intent to kill and injure many
people. Mass vaccinations by the government/pharmaceutical complex should
certainly be treated with suspicion.

A lot of sources say that humanity is in the process of raising its
consciousness. But the lower consciousness folks are doing everything they can
to stay in power.  It is my belief that the old power structure is about to
give way to something much better. A world that is more ecological, more
equitable, more loving.  The old power structure likes to portray itself as
very powerful. They want people to be fearful and hopeless. It is my hope that
their power is an illusion that is about to be swept aside. Now is a good time
to be working on localization initiatives.  Laying the groundwork for more
localized and democratic societies.  The signs of it are everywhere.  More
people are talking about it. The smell of change is in the air. Trust your
intuition, follow your heart, let love be your guiding force.

As Charlie Murphy sang years ago in his band “Rumors of the Big Wave",
“Light is returning.
Even though this is the darkest hour.
No one can hold back the dawn.”

Singing Alive - September 11-13

A teaching gathering for ceremonial singing circles, dancing, and music. We
change the world as we transform ourselves with songs of blessings, devotion,
and gratitude!

West of Olympia in Cosmopolis, Washington

Singing Alive!  http://www.tribesofcreation.com/singing_alive.html

2nd Annual Washington State Permaculture Convergence - September 18-20

Please join us for the Second Annual Washington State Permaculture
Convergence,September 18-20, 2009 to be held at Sahale Learning Center near
Belfair, Washington - on the north shore of beautiful Hood Canal. We will
feature a weekend of networking, workshops and conversations with friends and
peers among Washington State's permaculture community. Interested members of
the public are also warmly welcome to attend. Together we will share
information, solutions, inspirations, and insights!

The convergence is a way to strengthen information flow and cooperation
between permaculturists in the state of Washington - and beyond. We will be
working on a vision of how permaculture can better serve the land and people
of our Evergreen State. How can more permaculturists make their living
organizing, teaching and designing? The convergence will have some aspects of
an organizational meeting for the permacultural community at large.

The gathering will also be an educational event offering workshops on such
diverse subjects as biochar creation and usage, Ecovillage development, local
currency systems, forest garden systems, large-scale installations, Brown's
gas, water catchment, green roofs, the Transition Town and Anastasia
movements, and other topics of interest for seasoned practitioners and
newcomers alike. We expect there will be advanced as well as basic level
workshops; the final format of the event will be influenced by those members
who offer topics up to the last minute!

Attendance fees are $100-$70 on a sliding scale, this includes camping and
delicious home-cooked meals. To keep costs down we are again asking
participants to bring food (hopefully from their own gardens) to contribute to
the communal kitchen. There are work/trade opportunities available for those
with limited funds - we want our event to be open to all, regardless of income
level.

Limited private and dorm-style accommodations are available; please call
360-820-8586 or e-mail permaculture at earthlink.net for current availability.

I am organizing and presenting at the Convergence.

washingtonstatepermaculture.org  http://www.washingtonstatepermaculture.org

Big Sky Country Harvest Festival - September 18-20. A Montana barter fair.

The 3rd Annual Big Sky Harvest Festival is Growing! Do you value the world we
pass on to future generations? Grassroots economy? Creative Expression? Like
to have a good time? Bring your people and celebrate Montana style! Got lots
of friends? A big family? Car Load special this year-only $20! (day pass).
Enjoy Entertainment, farmers market, Art, music, community and amazing
workshops!

bigskyharvestfestival.com  http://www.bigskyharvestfestival.com

Saskatoon Circle - Primitive Skills Gathering at Skalitude. September 24th -
27th

Saskatoon Circle is a gathering teaching and promoting primitive skills and
ancient crafts in a community environment.

I will be presenting at the Saskatoon Circle.

saskatooncircle.blogspot.com  http://saskatooncircle.blogspot.com/

Okanogan Family Faire - a.k.a. Tonasket Barter Fair

The dates this year will either be October 8-11 or October 22-25.  Go to their
website for the dates which will be set by the end of August. One of the
largest, counter-cultural parties on the West Coast. 36th Annual - since 1974.
Bring barter goods and good vibes! ....and my Friends of the Trees booth will
be there!

okanoganfamilyfaire.net  http://www.okanoganfamilyfaire.net

Taste of the Okanogan - November 5!

A DINNER OF LOCALLY-GROWN FOOD AND SEASONAL CUISINE
NOVEMBER 5, 2009. Friday evening. (tentative date). Okanogan Valley. The first
in a series of seasonal dinners promoting Okanogan-grown and –raised food.

Contact Michael Pilarski for more info
mailto:friendsofthetrees at yahoo.com?subject=Dinner of locally grown food and
seasonal cuisine

Dmitry Orlov's blog  http://cluborlov.blogspot.com/

GlobalEurope Anticipation Bulletin  http://www.leap2020.eu/

Michael "Skeeter" Pilarski

Friends of the Trees Society
PO Box 826
Tonasket, WA 98855
509-486-2672, land line
michael at friendsofthetrees.net
www.friendsofthetrees.net

Use an explanatory subject line

Fairy & Human Relations Congress - Skalitude Retreat Center, POB 74 - Carlton
- WA - 98114

To subscribe to this newsletter go to
https://www.mynewsletterbuilder.com/tools/subscription.php?username=jkinsey&send_id=771911943&l=s&newsletter_id=1410009851
To change your address or edit your subscription preferences, go to
https://www.mynewsletterbuilder.com/tools/subscription.php?username=jkinsey&send_id=771911943&l=p&email=sdpg@arashi.com
To forward this email to a friend, go to
https://www.mynewsletterbuilder.com/tools/forward.php?username=jkinsey&newsletter_id=1410009851&email=sdpg@arashi.com&send_id=771911943
To report this email as spam, go to
https://www.mynewsletterbuilder.com/tools/abuse_report.php?username=jkinsey&send_id=771911943&email=sdpg@arashi.com

This email was sent using MyNewsletterBuilder.com.