[Sdpg] the Carbon Economy - what it is, why it's important and how we can be involved

Quail Springs info at quailsprings.org
Sun Aug 30 03:00:32 PDT 2009

The Carbon Economy - what it is, why it's important and how we can be
involved

Learn more at:  www.CarbonEconomySB.com

"....We have a breakdown in the Carbon cycle as much of the Carbon in our
soils has been excised to the air and seas. Generations of farmers have
found that their biggest crop - topsoil, has been lost, more recently due to
the manipulation of soil carbon levels by artificial nitrogen application.
Our entire land-based systems are becoming Carbon poor.  Yet, we have a
unique opportunity to revitalize our communities and societies through the
building of a Carbon rich landscape.  We have the technical means to do so,
we just need support.  Largely that support comes from localization:
marketing & value-adding our products locally and directly to gain the
support for building Carbon rich systems and be paid to do so.

Waiting for Carbon Trading payments or other 'money from thin air' schemes
will not build a Carbon rich economy: people and communities doing it
ourselves will...

What would a Carbon Economy look like? What would Carbon rich landscapes and
farms look like?  These answers and more will be found at the upcoming
Carbon Economy Course in Santa Barbara which pulls together the world's
leading Carbon Economy practitioners: people who are devoting their lives to
building Carbon rich agricultural systems and economic structures and who
have the proven and practical know-how to have producers and their advisors
do the same in an economically robust manner. We look forward to your
participation in this important event this Fall 2009 in the Santa Barbara
area....."

- Darren Doherty, Originator, Carbon Economy Courses

The Carbon Economy Courses offer approaches that not only benefit the
environment - yet also materially and financially benefit the farmer,
rancher, land manager, citizen and community.  October 19th thru December
11th 2009 brings an all-star lineup of instructors, scientists, farmers and
land managers to share their experience and knowledge with fellow farmers,
rancher, businesses and citizens from around the region.

Dates:  October 19-December 11, 2009

Main Venue: Orella Ranch, Gaviota Coast, near Santa Barbara, CA

Courses:

October 19-22 & October 22-25
Holistic Management Intro & Land Development, Financial, Biological &
Grazing Planning
with Kirk Gadzia & Terry Gompert

October 28-31 & November 1
Soil Food Web & Microscope Class with Dr. Elaine Ingham

November 4-15
Broadacre Permaculture with Darren Doherty, Brad Lancaster &  Warren Brush

November 20-22
BioChar Energy with Art Donnelly

December 3-5
ZERI -Zero Emissions Research Initiatives with Gunter Pauli

December 3-7
Natural Building with Michael Smith & Justin Kirmse
(Venue: Quail Springs)

December 9-11
Pathways to Relocalization with Joel Salatin

Visit to Learn More: www.CarbonEconomySB.com