[Sdpg] The Ojai Economy Group: Investing in the Power of Local Solutions/Ojai Forum on The New Economy Sept 25-27 2009

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Sep 22 09:21:49 PDT 2009

2009 Ojai Forum on the New Economy
  Ojai Forum on The New Economy Sept 25-27 2009

Local healthy communities - Civic engagement - Global sustainability!
The confluence of various tipping points in global, national and
local economies have come together to provide an extraordinary
opening for innovation and positive social change. You are invited to
participate in an exploration and inquiry into the design of an
action-based road map leading to new models for a vibrant economy and
local community empowerment in Ojai and beyond. For more info visit
WWW.OJAIFORUM.COM

The Ojai Economy Group: Investing in the Power of Local Solutions
Tuesday, 08 September 2009 00:00 Vickie Peters
http://www.hopedance.org/money/the-ojai-economy-group-investing-in-the-power-of-local-solutions

"When a group of people learn how to work together for the common
good, they discover the power of community and realize that they are
interdependently wealthy and capable of anything they apply their
hearts and minds to." - Michael Lindfield, Advisor, Ojai Economy Group
If there is a glimmer of hope to be found in the troubling
implications of overpopulation, climate change, peak oil, ecological
devastation and financial meltdown, it may be the growing awareness
that the global culture and economy are failing to meet our needs.
Along with this realization comes the opportunity to create local
economies that are more resilient and sustainable.

Acclaimed monetary systems expert Bernard Lietaer believes that greed
and fear of scarcity are being continuously created and amplified as
a direct result of the kind of money we are using, and he isn't
surprised that the world is suffering from a monetary crisis. "Money
is like an iron ring that we've put through our noses," he says.
"We've forgotten that we designed it, and now it's leading us
around." (www.lietaer.com). According to Lietaer, modern economics
can be described as "a way of allocating scarce resources through the
mechanisms of competition and personal greed." Because of the
inherent inequities of this flawed system, it is failing to meet the
long-term goals of civilization. In order to turn things around, we
need to create healthy local communities and economies that share the
characteristics of healthy ecosystems: their sustainability depends
not only on their efficiency, but also on their diversity and
interconnectivity.

Lietaer is convinced that we need to design monetary and social
systems that support sustainability and community. People everywhere
who believe in the power of local solutions to global problems are
embracing this perspective. It's being called localization or
transition, and it's happening because people are recognizing that
the unsustainable global economic system is failing to protect
humans, the environment, and the natural systems on which all life
depends (www.localfuture.org).

Evolutionary economist Hazel Henderson agrees, and also stresses that
cooperation is essential for ecologically sustainable development.
"We are all learning that money, a useful invention of the human
mind, is not wealth. Real wealth is in human talents, wisdom and
understanding of the priceless assets and ecological capital of our
living planet."

Henderson will be a featured presenter (via satellite) at The 2009
Ojai Forum on the New Economy: Healthy Local Communities, Civic
Engagement and Global Sustainability (www.ojaiforum.com), which is
being convened by the Ojai Economy Group (OEG). The forum will begin
Friday, September 25, with a working dinner of locally grown fare,
followed by an interactive discussion co-chaired by Henderson
(www.hazelhenderson.com), socially responsible investment consultant
Stuart Valentine (www.iowapam.com), and Rinaldo Brutoco, founder of
the World Business Academy (www.worldbusiness.org). The following two
days will be structured around intensive workshops dedicated to the
development of specific action plans for strengthening the local
economy.

The OEG is comprised of private citizens who share the view that the
current economic crisis also represents an opportunity to create a
more resilient, compassionate, and sustainable local economy for the
Ojai Valley. They envision new levels of thinking, creativity and
innovation that is based upon principles of goodwill, trust and
cooperation (www.ojaieconomy.com). According to one of the group's
founders, Tyler Suchman, "The idea of supporting the local economy
through various initiatives such as alternative currency and
bartering has been kicked around by many individuals for many years.
The OEG hopes to bring together the right people at the right time,
all of whom have had great success starting and building
community-oriented companies, projects, and non-profit organizations."

The OEG is exploring the ideas around local economy from four
directions at this point: alternative currency, bartering, giving and
investing.  "Ultimately, a systems approach incorporates all of these
ideas into a cohesive platform for a sustainable local economy,"
Suchman says. The group is still considering how time, skills,and
service might be woven into the fabric of a supportive, nourishing,
and resilient local economy, taking into account the demographic,
economic, cultural and geographic variables involved.

They will be evaluating various types of community currency,
including a card system (gift cards, cash cards, and debit cards), a
printed currency (similar to other local currencies like Ithaca Hours
and BerkShares and the currently inactive SLO Hours) and the
possibility of a points system that could be tied to bartering,
service, gifting and volunteering.  Once they're in place, the OEG
envisions that these complementary forms of community currency will
provide a local alternative to the dollar that can be used as a tool
for supporting local businesses and non-profits and even tourism.

The OEG will also be considering the viability of a barter economy,
where goods and services can be exchanged among multiple parties,
along with the development of a supportive infrastructure for
gifting, volunteerism and philanthropy for local community investment
projects. Ellen Hall, another founding member, is concerned that the
non-profits that give the Ojai Valley its unique value and soul are
especially vulnerable due to the economic crisis, and believes that
strengthening the local economy will help these organizations to
survive. "The goal of a thriving Ojai goes beyond preservation of the
quality of life supported by the current economy. A transformed local
economy based on principles of goodwill and mutual support will
enhance relationships," she says.

Individually and collectively, members of the OEG are researching how
to best prioritize and integrate various programs and will be
exploring these topics during their upcoming forum on the new
economy. According to conference coordinator Roger Collis, "the new
economy is not at odds with the old economy; it is not a replacement.
Elements of the old economy are changing and people are hungry for
alternatives." The goals of the forum are to convene the community in
a transformational context and to capture the creativity, ideas and
vision that are needed to strengthen and support the local economy.
Collis emphasizes the importance of looking at the economy from a
holistic perspective. "We are not just talking about finances, we are
talking about a way of life, a new consciousness that embraces all
facets of human life - cooperating with nature through sustainable
agricultural practices, education for the whole child, caring for
elderly, a health system that is affordable for all people, a culture
of personal creativity and sense of community.  There is so much more
we can do as people and as a society once we are able to overcome our
doubts and fears of the future.  The future is ours to shape, and new
economic strategies are a necessary part of shaping a positive and
hopeful world.  We start with ourselves and with our communities and
build from there."   *

Vickie Peters is a writer and editor with expertise in the
development of public relations and marketing programs for public
entities, private industry, non-profits and community service
organizations. She graduated with honors from Cal Poly, SLO, and is
working toward an MA in geography with an emphasis in political
ecology.