[Sdpg] REMINDER/Sat Sept 26/Fundraiser Event for IPC9 in Africa/UPDATE Peter Murage from Kenya MOOF Center

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Thu Sep 24 23:31:17 PDT 2009

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
Fundraising Event
Saturday, September 26, 2009, 6:00 - 9:30pm
Join us as we raise funds to bring Ed Mendoza, of Indigenous
Permaculture de Aztlan
& Peter Murage of Mount Kenya Organic Farming Center (MOOF) Kenya, Africa
to the
  9th International Permaculture Conference & Convergence (IPC9)

   Food Donation $5, Sola House Courtyard, 312 E. Sola St, downtown
Santa Barbara, CA
Emacs!

Well, this is a nice twist of fate...
MURAGE PETER KIBE of MOOF (front, left)

In addition to Ed Mendoza, we had hoped to sponsor Africans needing
assistance to attend IPC9.  It turns out that Peter Murage, of MOOF
Center in Kenya, when we inquired, was not going to be able to attend
IPC9 because of lack of funds.

Peter was one of the African delegates who attended the last
International Permaculture Convergence in Brazil in 2007, and helped
make the successful bid to bring the Convergence to Africa.  Our
community is also tied to Peter in a very special way.  In January
2008 when Kenya was experiencing chaos and violence after their
elections, Peter kept us informed about the frightening conditions
occurring in his country via email.  At one point we lost contact
with Peter for a month, and in our concern, and then worry, we came
together to hold a sacred fire for a 24 hour period, keeping Peter
safe in our thoughts.  This was facilitated by Warren Brush at Quail
Springs Permaculture Farm, in Cuyama Valley, but even for those who
could not attend, Warren said they could hold a "virtual" fire with
us, and they did!  The fire was held sunset to sunset, and the
following morning Peter contacted us by email to say he was safe.

It is with great honor that we assist Peter to get to the
International Convergence he so deserves to be a part of.  Join us in
donations large and small, all the $10, 20, 50 add up in the most
significant way.  For each, funds needed to attend including flights,
accommodations, and convergence expenses total approximately $2500 each.

For the permaculture community, this idea of an International
Convergence is hugely important.  Why is there a global permaculture
movement?  What makes it continue to influence and inspire people,
not only in theory, but in hard practical examples of  living
solutions around the globe?  Projects and experiences are shared at a
Convergence on a personal level, it's an amazing experience for all.

         Please join us for an evening of fun, music and food. If you
want to bring your favorite African dish, please do, a prize for the
most unique & authentic dish will be awarded.  Also a prize for most
beautiful African sarong worn (men or women!).  Drums and other
musical instruments encouraged. This is the "culture" in
permaculture, our chance one more time, through the International
Permaculture Convergences, to learn about our friends around the
world,  this time Africa.

Donations may be made out to: Santa Barbara Permaculture Network 501
(c) 3, (designate /IPC9) PO Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA
93190.  Donations are tax deductible, and a receipt will be promptly
provided with tax i.d. information for your records.

Event Sponsors: Santa Barbara Permaculture Network, Sustainable World
Radio, Telegraph Brewing Co,
Food Contributions by Manzanita

For more information about the event, please visit upcoming events at
www.sbpermaculture.org

Information about Ed Mendoza:

Emacs!
   Eduardo (Ed) Mendoza (Xikano-Nahuatl) is a farmer, poet, activist
and Director of Indigenous Permaculture de Aztlan.  In 1993 he became
an agricultural advisor for the Traditional Native American Farmers
Association and started to train in Permaculture.  He worked for the
Gila River Indian Community, establishing an aquaculture and farming
program to teach young juveniles about traditional crops.  Ed helped
establish the Casa Blanca Growers Cooperative which grows mostly
traditional organic crops.  He currently works on the Gila River
Indian Reservation in Arizona promoting the use and production of
traditional crops and seed saving for future generations.  Formerly
on the Board of Native Seed Search, he remains a consultant working
on dietary research related to Diabetes.  He is a part of the
teaching team for Indigenous Permaculture (
www.indigenous-permaculture.com) with a yearly course in Santa Fe,
NM.  The purpose of Indigenous Permaculture de Aztlan is to assist
indigenous nations learn the means to be economically self sufficient
and to respect culture and ceremony, to restore lands for future
generations, with youth trained in permaculture and other
sustainability skills such as rainwater harvesting, polycultures,
aquaculture, and solar energy. Ed is a Santa Barbara native, who
returns occasionally to our area to share his wisdom on food and
culture. Ed is a Santa Barbara native, who returns occasionally to
our area to share his wisdom of food and culture.

Emacs!

November 2009

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network   an educational non-profit since 2000
(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in
order to grow." - Anonymous