[Sdpg] [permaculture] Recommended reading for working with children

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Thu Nov 19 07:10:24 PST 2009

Those who are interested in the thoughts of kids on permaculture may
want to keep an eye on this blog by my 8 year old friend & occasional
intern, Thurman O'Herlihy.

http://permaculturekid.blogspot.com/

~mIEKAL

On Nov 19, 2009, at 2:46 AM, ChildrensPeaceGuild wrote:

>  the following is a partial list for parents, teachers, educators,
>  and anyone working with children:
>

>  'Permaculture for Children', Permaculture Activist magazine, Vol.3
>  #1 Feb. 1987
>
>  'Permaculture Goes to School' (1997) compiled by Fiona Campbell and
>  Russ Grayson
>
>  'Children Gardening: First Steps Toward a Sustainable  Future' by
>  Robin C. Moore
>
>  'The Principles of Permaculture' Green Teacher magazine, #78 Spring
>  2006
>
>  'The Seed Ball Project' Green Teacher magazine, #75 Winter 2005
>
>  Kids in Permaculture - Permaculture Activist magazine, #67 Spring 2008
>
>  Education: Learning to Change the World - Permaculture Activist
>  magazine, #53 Fall 2004
>
>  'Deeper Yet: School & Orphanage Permaculture Project' - Talking
>  Leaves magazine, Fall 2000
>

>  All Round (children's magazine) issue no.12 "All About Plants You

Robin Clayfield's massive 'Manual for Teaching Permaculture
Creatively' has a chapter on working with youth.

Heather Coburn Flores excellent 'Food Not Lawns' has a chapter titled
"The Next Generation"

Green Teacher magazine #78 focuses on Permaculture and #75 focuses on Seedballs

Carolyn Nuttall's excellent 'Children's Food Forest'
http://members.fortunecity.com/forester2/achildrensfoodforest/index.html

and Carolyn's newest book with Janet Millington called 'Outdoor Classrooms'
http://www.outdoorclassrooms.com.au/
though the latter is only available in the states through PRI's
store:  http://permaculture.org.au

unfortunately this means shipping and handling is almost as expensive
as the book itself. It would be nice if a place like the Permaculture
Activist online store could carry it state-side...

Happy reading,
Roman Shapla

Children's PEACE Guild
www.childrenspeaceguild.webs.com