[Sdpg] *Building the Blue Economy with Gunter Pauli/April 23, 24, 25, 2010

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sun Mar 21 06:52:43 PDT 2010

Building the Blue Economy, with Gunter Pauli
   ~ April 23, 24, 25, 2010 ~
Santa Barbara City College Campus, Santa Barbara, California
[]

Hosted by the SBCC Center for Sustainability

~Evening Talk & Book-Signing, Fri, April 23, 7:30 - 9:30pm, SBCC Fe
Bland Auditorium $15~

~Building the Blue Economy Workshop with Gunter Pauli, plus guests***,
SBCC Campus, Sat, April 24, 9am - 5pm, $120 ($100 early registration/April 3)~

~Retreat with Gunter Pauli, Sunday, April 25, 10am - 4pm  $300 ($250
early registration/April 3)~

How a new generation of entrepreneurs can bring
  innovations to the marketplace, secure basic needs for all,
and make sustainable businesses competitive.

Join the Santa Barbara City College Center for Sustainability for a
rare chance to spend time with one of the most innovative thinkers of
our times.  Author of the newly published book "The Blue Economy, 10
Years, 100 Innovations, 100 Million Jobs" Gunter Pauli challenges us
to give up doomsday thinking...

Gunter Pauli suggests by emulating nature we can evolve from an
economy based on scarcity to an economy based on abundance---the
cascading, nutrient rich, Blue Economy.  Founder of Zero Emissions
Research Initiatives (ZERI) Global Network, Gunter Pauli pioneered
the concept of waste being seen as a resource that with creative
thinking, can be used to create multiple enterprises from singular
ones, with benefits for the economy and the environment. Pauli is
fond of saying that returns on investment from these kinds of
business models far exceed those of companies like Microsoft.

Gunter Pauli, famous eco-entrepreneur and passionate proponent of
green development worldwide, is the former president of Ecover
biodegradable soap company who built Europe's first ecological
factory.  Pauli is the founder of Worldwatch Europe, and a member of
the Club of Rome and directs the Zero Emissions Research Initiative
(ZERI) at the United Nations University in Tokyo. He lectures
regularly to business executives and governments, and is the author
of 17 books in 21 languages.

***Saturday Workshop with Gunter Pauli/Afternoon break-out sessions with:
    *  Woody Tasch, President of Slow Money Alliance
    *  Kreigh Hampel, City of Burbank, Public Works, Recycling Coordinator
    *  Randy Grissom, Director of the Santa Fe Community College
Sustainable Technologies Center

Sponsored by the Santa Barbara City College Center for Sustainability
Co-sponsors: Santa Barbara Permaculture Network & SBCC Scheinfeld
Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation
Event Info, <http://www.sbpermaculture.org/>www.sbpermaculture.org,
margie at sbpermaculture.org, (805)962-2571

<<<>>>
More Information:

On YouTube: Gunter Pauli introduces "The Blue Economy" and it`s 100
innovations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oHCEGalr7U&feature=player_embedded

[]

100 Innovations:
  Gunter Pauli releases one innovation per week for 100 weeks
100 Innovations/one per week go to www.blueeconomy.de
Introduction to the 100 innovations
that could generate 100 million jobs within a decade

By Gunter Pauli

Imagine 100 innovations that could generate 100 million jobs over the
next decade. Over the next two years I will introduce these real
opportunities one by one, on the basis of technologies proven by
scientists to work, bench marked as a business somewhere in the
world, and ready to be introduced anywhere.

As an entrepreneur, who established 10 companies, I have always been
searching for the best way to enter the market, to out compete the
market leaders. An entrepreneur introduces innovations, that respond
to a need, generate cash flow, create jobs and work with what is
readily available. With a track record in media, databank management,
internet and eco-products I was very much impacted by my incapacity
to see how I created collateral damage, trying to implement a new
business model. What happened?

As president of Ecover, I promoted biodegradable soaps manufactured
in a green factory with a huge grass roof. I was shocked to learn
that as demand for palm oil - the main ingredient - increased, more
rain forest was destroyed. How could I ever have overlooked that
cleaning up the rivers in Europe leads to the destruction of the
habitat of the orangutan? I learned the hard way that
biodegradability has nothing to do with sustainability.
As a consequence, it became a passion to imagine a model that has no
unintended consequences. I searched for the opportunity to create
companies that outcompete on the market, thanks to solid innovations,
dramatically increasing productivity, improving return on investment,
while operating in harmony with the ecosystems. I imagined business
that not only preserves the environment, rather businesses that
enhance the ecosystems in which my companies operate.

The United Nations University and the Japanese Government offered me
the chance to imagine such businesses, scientifically proven and
economically viable. The platform in Japan permitted me to build a
team to pioneer concrete examples from a beer brewery in Africa, to
coffee farming in Colombia and waste management in Japan.
The hands-on cases inspired me to go back to undertake a competitive
analysis and make an inventory of all innovations that are likely to
shape the future. A review of +2,200 innovations revealed that only
very few were adopted by business. Of all the sustainable innovations
borrowed from nature only three that had become main-stream with
sales in excess of 100 million: Velcro from the USA, Lotusan from
Germany marketed by Sto and Proboscis-inspired needles from Japan
made by Terumo.

I turned to the projects I knew, the scientists I visited, the CEOs I
had met and discussed the best ideas with business journalists,
corporate strategists, management scholars, policy makers and
innovation experts. Thanks to their input I drew up a list of 100
innovations that are likely to change the competitive game in many sectors.

There was a major surprise. When the experts advised me on the
magnitude of potential job generation, the number reached 100
million. Checking the benchmarks before me, I was surprised that one
third of the business ideas are already invoicing and the several
innovations represent platform technologies applicable in dozens of
sectors. This proves there is potential.

A business model emerged that fundamentally changes the rules on the
market. Instead of a triple bottom line, there is a triple cash flow,
not just for the company, also for the community. How is this
possible? Ever since management focused on core business based on
core competence, companies have discarded any opportunity outside
their tight focus on economies of scale, making more of the same
cheaper through mergers and acquisitions.

The 100 cases that will be released one after the other provide
insights on how costs within that core business model turn into
multiple incomes applying a concept known as economies of scope. This
clustering of value adding generates revenues that did not even
exist. This is the core uniqueness of the competitive business models
that will be released one by one as of February 22, 2010. There is more.

Once entrepreneurs can generate multiple revenues, value and cash
flow, then it is easier to understand why these innovations also
create jobs. On top of that, since value is created out of something
that had no value before, there is no substitution effect. The
traditional economist will be surprised that higher productivity now
equates with job creation.
While the generation of additional cash flow will be a main argument,
the fact that the market leaders have limited means to formulate a
competitive response turns the odds in favor of the entrepreneur.
Companies that have decades of experience and a loyal customer base
worldwide, supported by a stable cash flow and profit margins; will
not easily hand over a major part of business to a newcomer. However,
as postulated, these innovations change the rules of the game, often
without openly informing the key players, taking them off guard and
without the internal competences to respond.

When I promoted a detergent to the market without advertising, how
could companies like Unilever, Henkel and Procter react when their
marketing mix is dependent on advertising? This is exactly the
opportunity that entrepreneurs can embrace.
The portfolio of opportunities based on these 100 cases is vast. More
than one entrepreneur, more than one investor, more than one venture
fund can take the initiative. That is the main reason for offering
this inspiration open source.
The 100 cases offer an insight into an emerging economy - the Blue
Economy- that is more competitive, generates jobs, brings innovations
that steer business towards sustainability and builds up social capital.
Who would not like to join this?

Gunter Pauli
Author of the Blue Economy, 10 Years, 100 Innovations, 100 Million Jobs
Visit The World Congress on Zero Emissions Initiatives:
http://www.zeroemissionshawaii.org/

-end-