[Sdpg] Bellingham Washington/ Sustainable Connections - Transforming a Community-video

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Sep 7 07:39:28 PDT 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KprenYfqUbc&feature=related

peakmoment | September 06, 2007
Peak Moment 75: Michelle Long shows us how a
highly successful local independent business
network has transformed Bellingham, WA, while
inspiring other communities. From an initial
"Think Local First" program, they have expanded
to business peer mentoring, and support for local
food producers, sustainable buildings, and green
energy. An astounding sixty percent of their
community are not only aware of the "Think Local,
Buy Local, Be Local" campaign but have changed
buying habits as well.
www.sustainableconnections.org
Category:

Sustainable Connections Bellingham Washington
What We Do, Values & History

http://sustainableconnections.org/news/video

Vision:
We envision a thriving, collaborative community
in which local businesses are prosperous and
contribute to a healthy environment and the
well-being of all citizens.
Mission:
To be the local forum where businesses come
together to transform and model an economy built
on sustainable practices.
We work with local, independently owned
businesses that have the autonomy to make any
transformational change in their business that
they can imagineŠ reexamining where we buy goods
and services, how we consume energy, grow and
distribute our food, build homes, and even, how
we define success in business.  Sustainable
Connections is supporting a community of
innovators in green building, sustainable
agriculture, renewable energy, supporting
independent businesses in town centers, and
mentoring a new breed of entrepreneurs that have
designed their business with a sustainable vision.
Core Competencies
As a non-profit network of local, independently
owned Whatcom County businesses and supporters,
we facilitate sustainable economic development by
providing:
	?	Education: Facilitating technical
assistance for businesses and government that
builds our community's capacity to participate in
the opportunities of a sustainable economy
	?	Connections: Connecting
businesses to each other, and to the marketplace
	?	Market Development: Engaging in
promotion and market development that opens
opportunities for sustainable economy businesses
Guiding Principles
	?	Place-based: We align with the
quote - "find your place in the world, dig in,
and take responsibility from there."
	?	We're all on a path: We meet
businesses where they are, and help them make
progress with specific, measurable solutions.
	?	We lead by example: We say what
we're for, not what we're against.
	?	Humility: We believe in continuous learning and open minds.
	?	Bias for action: There is not one
solution, there are thousands, hundreds of
thousands, so we do something well, then
something else, then something else....
	?	Make it a better party: People want to be happy.
	?	Convene the right people: We work
with decision makers. We also recognize that
relationships are what best motivate people to
take action.
	?	Be solution oriented: We develop
specific, practical solutions that are useful
across multiple businesses.
	?	Form powerful partnerships: we
recognize that we are one part of the puzzle, and
we honor and support powerful partnerships.
	?	Cultivate a can-do attitude:
Creative and positive delivery of our solution
messages.
	?	Measure results: We frequently
ask our members, our participants, and the
community whether we are having our intended
impact and how to be better.
	?	Create a ripple effect: Good
ideas spread fast. We document what we do so that
others can take advantage of what we are
discovering.
History
Whatcom County has a long, rich history of
community and business innovation from a wide
variety of organizations and volunteer
initiatives. Building on this momentum, in early
2002 a small group of local business owners
surveyed other Whatcom business owners; they
found demand for the idea of forming a network of
place-based businesses that could support each
other toward a shared vision of a sustainable
local economy. In April 2002, Sustainable
Connections signed up its first business member
with early programs that focused on connecting
values-aligned businesses, and taking individual
steps - "pledges" - to improve the sustainability
of member businesses. The approach was based on
the principle of reciprocity. The goal was to
support local business owners with their
stewardship of our place, and in turn, ask our
community to support them.
At almost the same time, Business Alliance for
Local Living Economies (BALLE), was forming with
a mission to catalyze, strengthen, and connect
local business networks focused on building local
living economies. Leaders from each group brought
their ideas together. During the first two
start-up years of both organizations, BALLE and
Sustainable Connections operated independently
out of the same Bellingham office with Michelle
and Derek Long as shared leadership staff to both
organizations.
Today, 7.5 years later, Sustainable Connections
has grown to 650+ local, independently owned
business members, a team of twelve staff, an
Advisory Board of local community and government
leaders, a Board of Directors of business owners
and community leaders, and an annual budget
nearing $1m/year. Our members have led Bellingham
in becoming the nation's top EPA-certified green
power community (2008), a leader in green
building, in fostering hundreds of new
relationships between farmers and food-buyers,
and in shifting the purchasing behavior of 3 in 5
households toward choosing independent retailers
and services whenever possible. In 2009, The
National Resources Defense Council named
Bellingham the #1 small City in urban progress
toward sustainability in the nation. BALLE, now
headquartered next door to Sustainable
Connections has grown to 75 networks in North
America with no sign of slowing down (Michelle
Long is their executive director), and
Sustainable Connections, one of BALLE's largest
and most successful networks, is recognized as a
model.
.