[Sdpg] Substantial update from Slow Money: The growth of the Slow Money Principles

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sat Oct 30 08:32:27 PDT 2010

One of the most remarkable aspects of the launch of Slow Money has
been the participation of our members and the emergence of the
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=meBZpt3VY0iJEOT7bJ7FSE0RURCm81Lp>Slow
Money Principles.  Thank You.  In this day of financial razzmatazz
and uncertainty, 12,000 of us have taken the time to consider and
affirm a new vision of money and the soil.

Now, Slow Money is ready to move from launch to full-scale
implementation.  Slow Money initiatives are emerging around the
country, money is starting to flow and our momentum is building.

For more highlights, scroll down to see our progress report.

"The Slow Money Principles are the path to a new, healthy food
system. Sign them and be counted!"
- Greg Steltenpohl, Founder, Odwalla

We couldn't agree more with our friend Greg.   It's not just about
transactions. It's about relationships and values. It's about a new
way of thinking that will catalyze a major cultural and economic
shift towards preservation and restoration.

PLEASE TAKE A FEW MOMENTS TO FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO TWO FRIENDS, so
that they can read the
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=kT4uS81aHCAXWRxNXgQpnU0RURCm81Lp>Principles,
and, we hope, join you and the rest of us who share abiding concerns
about the fertility of our soil, the vitality of our culture and the
health of our economy.

It is impossible to overstate the importance of the simple act of
signing the
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=hjmoC6n4S7dlrXVdLthaBE0RURCm81Lp>Slow
Money Principles:
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=A5H5uqyke4QxdLxL%2BuZDcE0RURCm81Lp>http://bit.ly/slowprinciples.

NPR calls us a movement. ACRES USA calls us a revolution. Business
Week cited us as "one of the big ideas for 2010."

We are still at the beginning. But what a promising beginning it is!

Of course, if you are also moved to increase your participation by
becoming a member of the
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2BhpQIgm32skZsi38vOC%2FtU0RURCm81Lp>Slow
Money Alliance, we'd love to welcome you.
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=QON6hBhztiOU%2FLCMBq0VK00RURCm81Lp>Click
here to make a financial contribution of $25 or more, supporting our
work convening national and regional gatherings and incubating the
new products and services that will enable a million people to invest
1% in local food systems with a decade.

With deep gratitude,

Ari, Woody, Michael, and David

<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=5ln65mLDYTtH6jNSkLR2DU0RURCm81Lp>

<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Fk3oeZ3aXc%2BDemxT0%2FvKRU0RURCm81Lp>

Slow Money Progress Report
   October 2010

"Slow Money gets right to the heart of everything that's ailing our
economy and corroding our culture. . . It offers a formula for a new
kind of capitalism in which farmers' markets and stock markets both
flourish.''

-Kerry Trueman, Huffington Post

The buzz surrounding Slow Money has been enormous and in 2010 we
moved from vision to action. This year affirmed that Slow Money is a
powerful movement that will rebuild our economy both literally and
metaphorically from the ground up, by catalyzing the flow of billions
of dollars into small food enterprises.

Some of this year's highlights include:

600 people from 30 US states and 6 countries attended our 2nd Annual
National Gathering in Shelburne Farms, VT. The energy at the
Gathering was inspiring.
over $1.8M has already been invested in eight of the small food
enterprises that presented at Shelburne Farms
countless relationships were developed among investors,
entrepreneurs, foundations, and everyday people committed to
addressing many of the pressing cultural, ecological and economic
challenges of our time
Slow Money has caught the attention of the mainstream media and we
have been covered by The LA Times, The Wall Street Journal, ACRES
USA, NPR's All Things Considered, The Sun, the Huffington Post, and
more. In addition, the successes and challenges of food and farming
enterprises aligned with Slow Money have been chronicled in local
papers throughout North America.
Slow Money placed 13th out of 2,500 entrants in Change.org's
competition for the Top Ten Ideas for change in 2010.
Slow Money groups are meeting regularly in many regions. In
Pittsboro, NC, small loans are being made to food enterprises with
help from a local foundation. In Austin, TX a steering committee
meets weekly and an inaugural event drew a standing room crowd to
City Hall. In Madison, WI, a series of workshops are leading to the
design of a local fund. Slow Money Northwest has secured investors
for its Microloan Development Fund and is collaborating with BALLE on
the Northwest Washington Community Capital Project. Initiatives in
the Bay Area, Maine, Santa Fe, Boulder, Santa Barbara and Hudson
Valley are all moving forward.
We formed the
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=3hWDSEsDc7abdKFtyy1d5U0RURCm81Lp>Soil
Trust, a groundbreaking non-profit "mission-related investment" fund
that will provide guarantees, seed capital and co-investment capital
to slow money enterprises
We are working with Portfolio 21, RSF Social Finance, Calvert
Foundation and Mission Markets to design for-profit Slow Money
products and services that will allow wide scale popular
participation.
Our incubation of Slow Munis (municipal bonds dedicated to local food
investing) is progressing in collaboration with a premier group of
investors and land trust professionals from around the country.
We named our first Executive Director, Ari Derfel, this summer. Ari
is a nationally recognized leader and co-founder of the critically
acclaimed Gather Restaurant in Berkeley, CA
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=INKjG7F%2Bxt6JRKxZ69eCbE0RURCm81Lp>1200
people have joined the Slow Money Alliance, including 180 Founding
Members, each of whom has contributed from $1,000 to $50,000
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=IgDpoNiInqq4pQIazf0YrU0RURCm81Lp>More
than 12,000 people have signed the Slow Money Principles
More than 10,000 people have become Facebook fans
Sales of
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=RiJXLwIOxmf74%2BOxhB8fVE0RURCm81Lp>Inquiries
into the Nature of Slow Money, Woody Tasch's literary work of art
that started this movement, surpassed 12,000 copies. It has now been
printed in Italian and Korean, the paperback version was just
released, and a Japanese edition is coming soon
"We're in the business of shaping messages that promote a vision of
sustainability in powerful, creative ways. Slow Money has
extraordinary potential."

- Jonah Sachs, co-founder, Free Range Studios, Berkeley, CA

"I've been involved with a lot of movements over the last 40 years
and this one has a real chance to make a difference. I can't tell you
how excited I am to be part of it."

- Michael Kanter, Owner, Cambridge Naturals, Cambridge, MA

"The Slow Money national gathering was an extraordinary event. There
was brilliance about it, a brilliance of connectivity and
collaboration and shared commitment to this powerful economic and
cultural vision. We are on the verge of a breakthrough. Slow Money is
not only planting inspiring seeds, but also creating the conditions
and the relationships for fundamental change and lasting impact. I
was, and am, therefore, extraordinarily pleased to have been able to
make the first contribution, right there on the spot in that tent
that was brimming with so many wonderful and talented folks, to the
Soil Trust. In Soil We Trust."

- Barry Hollister, Pittsfield, MA

"I've attended countless conferences and seminars over the years, but
it was not until I was under the Slow Money tent at Shelburne Farms
that I found a community of individuals with whom I can connect and
actually get something done! The quality of the attendees and their
breadth of experience was remarkable, as was the obvious shared
commitment to the vision of Slow Money. I cannot tell you how
valuable the connections I made were. I'm doing due diligence on a
possible investment and have already met with another of the
attendees to explore collaboration on investing in farmland near
where I live. I do trust in the soil. And I trust that the future for
and with Slow Money is going to be remarkable."

- Leslie Barclay, Owner, Round The Bend Farm, South Dartmouth, MA

<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=dVIe5rRre06tEc54duSZnWMPSx7rpvWQ>
THIS AL
Follow us on
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=FvGdnbe9xkjosMyXZ%2Bhf300RURCm81Lp>Facebook
and
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Np7NKviTMTobnVZCaNE1LU0RURCm81Lp>Twitter:<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=3wEwW9x83F9Shkfc6m%2BOAU0RURCm81Lp>

You have received this email from the Slow Money Alliance.
320 Washington Street 4th Floor Brookline MA 02445

We are supported and sustained by our members.
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=yPPyMb9rS0nBuFdsOd5PP00RURCm81Lp>Join
or find out more here.

If you received this email from a friend, and would like to subscribe
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=F5uV0buW%2F8lptPCD%2Fm5ypU0RURCm81Lp>click
here.

If you did not subscribe, or would no longer like to receive email
updates
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=uuD0RygHzSjQAmT8gn%2Bojk0RURCm81Lp>unsubscribe
here.

<http://www.salsalabs.com/?email>