[Sdpg] The Agroinnovations Podcast/Permaculture Bill Mollison/Darren Doherty Keyline/Fukuoka/Rob Hopkins Transition Culture/Marisha Auerbach

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sat Nov 27 08:19:41 PST 2010

http://agroinnovations.com/index.php/en_us/multimedia/blogs/podcast/category/english/permaculture/The
Agroinnovations Podcast

Archive for the 'Permaculture' Category

Episode #106: The One Straw Revolution
Monday, September 20th, 2010
Once again we are joined by educator, author, and
permaculture activist Larry Korn to continue our
discussion of the life and philosophy of Masanobu
Fukuoka.  Topics of discussion include Larry's
relationship with Fukuoka through the years, the
translation and publication of The One Straw
Revolution, Fukuoka's world travels, his hope for
the future of world agriculture, the making of
seed balls, and the difficulties Fukuoka had in
conveying his message to others.
Visit the Agroinnovations Blog for show notes and follow-up.

Podcast: Download (Duration: 32:38 - 30.0MB)
Tags: fukuoka, japan, natural farming, Permaculture, philosophy
Posted in English, Permaculture | 2 Comments »

Episode #105: Masanobu Fukuoka
Monday, September 13th, 2010
We are joined by Larry Korn.  Larry is a
permaculture instructor, educator, and author.
He has been an active student and practitioner of
permaculture and natural farming for several
decades, and is well-known for his friendship
with the great pioneer Masanobu Fukuoka.
In this episode we discuss the life and times of
Masanobu Fukuoka, the mystical experience that
formed the basis for his philosophy and farming
method, the methods and practice of natural rice
farming, Fukuoka's self-regenerating orchard,
natural methods for pruning fruit trees, and
Fukuoka in the context of Japanese spiritual
traditions.  Part I of II.

Podcast: Download (Duration: 32:54 - 30.3MB)
Tags: fukuoka, japan, natural farming, Permaculture, philosophy, rice, zen
Posted in English, Permaculture | 1 Comment »

Episode #104: Discovering Keyline
Monday, September 6th, 2010
This episode is the second installment in the
series featuring keyline pioneer P.A. Yeomans.
 These interviews were conducted in 1979 by Bruce
Hedge, Geoff Booth, and Phill Gall of 3CR
Melbourne Radio.  P.A. Yeomans died in 1984.
Topics of discussion include the slow adoption of
keyline in Australia, the energy crisis of the
1970's, Yeomans motivation for discovering
keyline, the process of discovery, and the use of
Nature as a model for design.  This is another
fine interview featuring a major figure in the
permaculture movement; thanks to Darren Doherty
for sharing this interview.

Podcast: Download (Duration: 38:46 - 35.6MB)
Tags: australia, discovery, keyline, Permaculture, yeomans
Posted in English, Permaculture | No Comments »

Episode #103: P.A. Yeomans and The Bunyip Slipperimp with Shakerator
Monday, August 30th, 2010
In this episode I play an interview from 1979
with keyline pioneer P.A. Yeomans.  This
interview was conducted by Bruce Hedge, Geoff
Booth, and Phill Gall of 3CR Melbourne Radio.
 P.A. Yeomans died in 1984, several years after
this interview was conducted.  Special thanks to
Darren Doherty for providing the audio for this
interview.
Topics of discussion include the invention and
utility of the key-line plow, strategies for
building top soil, water at the center of land
planning, intercropping of cereals and legumes,
the fundamentals of keyline design, and forest
ecosystems as processing plants for wastewater.
Part one in a two part series.

Podcast: Download (Duration: 30:26 - 28.0MB)
Tags: keyline, Permaculture, Soil, water
Posted in English, Permaculture, Soil | No Comments »

Episode #101: Permaculture On The Fly
Monday, August 16th, 2010
In this episode we are joined once again by
Darren Doherty, permaculture designer and
consultant, for the second half of a two part
interview.  We spend a good deal of time
discussing a series of spreadsheets Darren has
developed as part of his consultancy.  These
spreadsheets are tools available on Darren's
website that can be used to further increase the
permaculture community's capacity to develop and
implement effective projects.  We conclude by
discussing permaculture's failure to engage the
agricultural industry, and discuss the role of
permaculture and Holistic Management in the
ongoing and worsening deflationary Depression.
Making Sense of the Financial Crisis in the Era
of Peak Oil (Nicole Foss Lecture)
The Automatic Earth (Nicole Foss Blog)
Darren's Spreadsheets and other useful documents

Podcast: Download (Duration: 32:11 - 29.6MB)
Tags: darren doherty, Economics, great
depression, open source, OSAT, Permaculture,
transition-culture
Posted in English, Permaculture | 2 Comments »

Episode #100: Regenerative Permaculture
Monday, August 9th, 2010
In this 100th episode of the Agroinnovations
Podcast we are joined by Darren Doherty, a
permaculture designer and consultant who is an
expert in keyline design, broadacre permaculture,
and agroforestry.  Topics of discussion include
Australia as a source of innovation in
agriculture, regenerative vs. sustainable
agriculture, the life and work of P.A. Yeomans,
the keyline orders or permanence, open source
agricultural implements, and the Spanish Dehesa
as a model for broadacre permaculture.  This
episode is a tour-de-force of many of the
critical issues facing the permaculture movement.
Follow-up Blog Post (via the Agroinnovations Blog)

Podcast: Download (Duration: 59:54 - 55.0MB)
Tags: Appropriate Technology, australia,
broadacre permaculture, darren doherty, Holistic
Management, keyline, open source, Permaculture
Posted in English, Permaculture | 2 Comments »

Episode #70: The (a)Politics of Transition Culture (Part II)
Monday, November 16th, 2009
In this second part of a two part interview, Rob
Hopkins and I discuss the apolitical nature of
transition culture, the construction of parallel
systems, and the potential for confrontation with
existing power structures. Also discussed is the
feasibility of permaculture in a suburban
environment.
Useful Links Below
Transitionculture.org
Ralph Nader's Flight of Fancy
Slow Money Alliance

Podcast: Download (Duration: 31:34 - 29.0MB)
Tags: climate change, Peak Oil, Permaculture, transition-culture
Posted in English, Permaculture, Transition | 4 Comments »

Episode #69: Transition Culture with Rob Hopkins
Monday, November 9th, 2009
In this episode, I am joined by Rob Hopkins of
transitionculture.org. We discuss the origins of
the transition movement and its practical
application as a grassroots community organizing
strategy. Rob shares with us some potential
pitfalls, and we also discuss the differences
between collapse and energy descent. This is part
I in a two part interview.
For more on Charles Eisenstein, please see http://www.ascentofhumanity.com/

Podcast: Download (Duration: 33:45 - 30.9MB)
Tags: climate change, Peak Oil, Permaculture, transition-culture
Posted in English, Permaculture, Transition | 2 Comments »

Episode #67: Reinventing Education - Permaculture and Transformational Learning
Monday, October 19th, 2009
In this episode, I am joined by Nelson Lebo,
organic farmer, teacher, and Ph.D. candidate in
education.  Nelson and I discuss today's crisis
in education, and we reframe the debate towards
one where permaculture becomes the lynch pin in a
strategy to promote personal transformation
through hands-on science education.  Issues like
Peak Oil and climate change are also addressed.
Some useful links are below.
Futurescenarios.org: David Holmgren's excellent
work on the twin crisis of climate change and
Peak Oil
The End of Suburbia: You Tube version of the film
mentioned by Nelson in the podcast

Podcast: Download (Duration: 39:47 - 36.5MB)
Tags: climate change, education, Peak Oil, Permaculture, science
Posted in English, Permaculture | 3 Comments »

Episode #62: Whole Systems Design with Ben Falk
Monday, August 31st, 2009
In this interview with Ben Falk of Whole Systems
design we discuss permaculture design, plant
guilds, permaculture as an animal rights
strategy, nitrogen use efficiency, energy
descent, and the use of forests as a an energy
source.
Links below:
Whole Systems Design
Future Scenarios
The Omnivore's Delusion (article by Blake Hurst)
Death on a Factory Farm (HBO Documentary)

Podcast: Download (Duration: 36:35 - 33.6MB)
Tags: climate change, forest, nitrogen, Peak Oil, Permaculture
Posted in English, Permaculture | 2 Comments »

Episode #61: The Essence of Flowers with Marisha Auerbach
Monday, August 24th, 2009
For Episode #61 of the podcast, I speak with
Marisha Auerbach of Herb'n Wisdom.com.  Marisha
is a permaculture designer living in the Pacific
Northwest.  We speak about her work with edible
flowers and flower essences, the importance of
connections in nature and community, and the role
of sustainably managed forests.
Also, please take the time to visit Red House Art Radio.
Podcast: Download (Duration: 34:31 - 31.7MB)
Tags: design, flowers, forests, Permaculture
Posted in English, Permaculture | No Comments »

Episode #42: Permaculture in the Savanna
Monday, January 26th, 2009
In this first of (hopefully) many collaborative
episodes of the podcast, fellow Agrocaster Mike
Moon interviews permaculturalist Mark Shepard
about his strategies for developing a
permaculture on the natural model of transitional
upper mid-West savanna ecosystems. Fruits, nuts,
and birds abound.

Podcast: Download (Duration: 32:31 - 14.9MB)
Tags: Farmers, fruit, grazing, midwest, Permaculture, pigs
Posted in English, Farmers, Permaculture | 4 Comments »

Episode #30: Open Farm Tech with Marcin Jakubowski
Thursday, May 22nd, 2008
Marcin Jakubowski is one of the premier pioneers
of open source appropriate technology and
agricultural innovation. Guided by Gandhi's
principles of swadeshi, Marcin has made great
strides in moving towards community-based
development and local autonomy. One of his first
great innovations is an open source compressed
earth block press, which he discusses at length
in this podcast.
Listen to this podcast to learn about his ideas
and innovations, and visit his blog to follow
developments on his farm as they occur.

Podcast: Download (Duration: 30:29 - 14.0MB)
Tags: Appropriate Technology, Farmers, industry, open source, OSAT
Posted in Appropriate Technology, English, Permaculture | No Comments »

Episode #20: The World According to Mollison (Permaculture Part II)
Wednesday, August 22nd, 2007
In the second part of our interview with Bill
Mollison, Bill's humor, wisdom, and philosophy
are on display as he opines about Peak Oil,
global warming, and the future of our planet.
This one is not to be missed.

Podcast: Download (Duration: 21:46 - 10.0MB)
Tags: australia, design, Farmers, mollison, Peak Oil, Permaculture, tasmania
Posted in English, Permaculture | 1 Comment »

Episode #19: Permaculture Design with Bill Mollison (Part I)
Tuesday, August 14th, 2007
Last month I had the privilege to speak with Bill
Mollison, visionary and creator of the
revolutionary and true reality-based design
science of permaculture. The interview is
published here, so that those of you who are new
to permaculture can discover the history of its
founder and the nature of the concepts embodied
in his philosophy.
This is the first part in a two part series.
Please listen and enjoy, and come back soon to
hear part two.

Podcast: Download (Duration: 25:52 - 23.7MB)
Tags: australia, design, Farmers, mollison, Permaculture, tasmania
Posted in English, Permaculture | 4 Comments »