[Sdpg] Friends of the Trees - Events & News

Michael Pilarski michael at friendsofthetrees.net
Tue Jan 18 11:28:22 PST 2011

Recently I was having a conversation with my friend, Amy Leigh, and she was telling me about expanding her business. I turned to her and said, “Don’t you think this is a horrible economic time to be expanding a business?”  Amy said something  along the lines of “Endeavors that are in tune with a better world, a green world, will find increasing demand for their products and services.   And those businesses that are bad for the earth will decrease.”

So may all your endeavors based on right livelihood and for a greener world grow and prosper in 2011 and beyond.

 Michael Pilarski

www.friendsofthetrees.net  http://www.friendsofthetrees.net

Latest News

Dear friends,

Here’s my latest news, links to my recent articles, and information on my 2011 permaculture design course.

I have a lot of endeavors in  the works for 2011 and every one of them is contributing to a greener earth. It  is one of my biggest workloads ever and so once again I am relying on the  goodwill and help of hundreds of friends.

One of the ways you can help is by spreading the work about the gatherings I am working on this year.

June 24-26,   11th Fairy & Human Relations Congress, Twisp, Washington.

August 19-21, 11th Northwest Herbal Fair,  near Mount Vernon, Washington.
It is exciting to be restarting this event after a 5-year hiatus. We are looking for team  members..

Sept 16-18,   2nd Northwest Permaculture Convergence, Portland, Oregon this year.

November 4-6,   1st Inland Northwest Permaculture Conference, Spokane,  Washington (tentative date).
This is an exciting new  event for the Inland Northwest.  If you live in Montana, Idaho, Eastern Washington or Oregon and are interested in permaculture, please get in  touch.

YOU ARE INVITED ! WHICH ONES WOULD YOU LIKE TO  PARTICIPATE IN ?
 There is further information about all of these events in this newsletter and on our website. Contact Michael Pilarski

Farming Opportunity

? . . . . Looking for a Farming Opportunity . . .  ?
Check out the Okanogan

I am farming on three sites so far and am leasing a 4th site in 2011. Small-scale. There is virtually unlimited acreage available for lease. Anyone want to come on board? Is anybody interested out there? I can really use several pairs of hands this  year, if you know anyone that might be interested in one of the following  positions.

Farm manager to work with Michael Pilarski on  Okanogan Biodiversity Farm. Growing, harvesting, processing and shipping  vegetables, medicinal herbs, berries, seeds. I would love to mentor a young farmer this year. Someone with several years of farming experience already and  who wants to learn about intensive, mixed crop farming, agroforestry and medicinal herbs. Must be capable and have good people skills.
Form a  farming and wildcrafting cooperative.
Intern(s) for the 2011 growing season – farming and wildcrafting.

Contact Michael Pilarski for  details.
(509) 486-4056. Michael at friendsofthetrees.net

Okanogan County is  the largest county in Washington state.
Okanogan county has many assets:

Natural beauty and lots of space. Farmland, sagebrush steppe, bunchgrass meadows, forests and  mountains.
Only 40,000 residents. A  diverse population of 10% Native American, 15% Hispanic, 10% counter-culture,  50% tea party and/or Republicans, ranchers, farmers, orchardists, loggers,  miners, townies, etc.
One of the longest-running and most famous, counter-culture events on the West Coast happens here.   The Okanogan Family Faire (aka The Barter Faire) attracts 10,000 people  each fall.  38th year in 2011.
Agriculture is the primary economic driver with apples, pears, sweet cherries and beef cattle (grazing and  hay) accounting for almost all of the farm acreage.
The farming areas include plant hardiness zones 5, 4 and 3.
There are opportunities for hard-working, community-minded people.

Russia's Anastasia and Permaculture

On the international level, perhaps the biggest news for permaculture is the widespread adoption of permaculture by the Anastasia movement in Russia which is inspired by the nine books in the Ringing Cedar Series written by Vladimir Megre. If you haven’t heard of the Anastasia movement, here is a nutshell sketch. more information...

See full article (PDF 93K)  http://www.friendsofthetrees.net/articles/2010/Anastasia2010.pdf

Paradigm Shifts Happening Now

The new world paradigm is taking clearer shape; food, health, economics, goverance, spiritual...more information...

See full article (PDF 45K)  http://www.friendsofthetrees.net/articles/2010/ParadigmShifts2010.pdf

Inland Northwest Permaculture Conference

The Inland Northwest Permaculture conference will bring together permaculturists and people working on sustainability issues from around the Inland Northwest to share information, ideas and inspiration. Permaculture is about ecological gardening and farming, natural building, renewable energy, local self-reliance, local governance, local economic systems and other initiatives leading to a healthier society and environment. Early November 2001. more information...

See full article (PDF 87K)  http://www.friendsofthetrees.net/articles/2010/SpokaneDec2010.pdf

2011 Northwest Regional Permaculture Conference

The 2nd Annual Northwest Permaculture Convergence (NWPC) will be held September 16-18 (tentative dates) in Portland, Oregon. 380 people attended the 1st NWPC which was held at South Seattle Community College on September 19-21, 2010. It was the expanded successor to the Washington State Permaculture Convergences held in 2008 (115 people) and 2009 (170 people). more information...

See full article (PDF 41K)  http://www.friendsofthetrees.net/articles/2010/OregonNewsletter1.pdf

A Proposal for A Green Tea Party; Putting Together a Winning 3rd Party Coalition

A couple months ago I started talking about the idea of building a coalition between the greens and the tea party. A friend suggested it be called the green tea party. more information...

See full article (PDF 46K)  http://www.friendsofthetrees.net/articles/2010/GreenTeaPartyDec2010.pdf

Rooftop Greenhouses and Gardens

Working Session at the
Cultivating Regional Food Security Conference
Seattle, December 4-5, 2010

Rooftop gardening is only one of a wide number of food production strategies to meet a goal of 20% of Seattle’s food grown within the city and peri-urban area by 2020. more information...

See full article (PDF 61K)  http://www.friendsofthetrees.net/articles/2010/RooftopGardenDec2010.pdf

Report on a Seattle conference, “Cultivating Regional Food Security”

I attended this two day conference for a number of reasons.
 I am one of the coordinators for Slow Food Okanogan (a local chapter of Slow Food) which is working toward localizing the food system in Okanogan County. more information...

See full article (PDF 54K)  http://www.friendsofthetrees.net/articles/2010/SeattleFoodConferenceReportDec2010.pdf

Permaculture Design Course at Skalitude July 10-24

Confirmed instructors are Michael Pilarski, Andrew Millison and Josho Somine.

The course covers the traditional Mollison permaculture  curriculum as well as local knowledge. The species and techniques will  be aimed at the Inland Northwest which includes Eastern Washington, Eastern Oregon, Idaho,Western Montana and southern Interior British  Columbia.  Participants from other bioregions are welcome. The main  focus is learning permaculture principles and design methodology. The  principles and methodology, once learned, can be applied and adapted to any site.

Early registration: $950 by April 10. contact Lindsey skalitude at gmail.com

www.skalitude.com

more information  http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=155922884421763&index=1

Back to the Garden Television Premiere

"Back to the Garden: Flower Power Comes Full Circle" has its broadcast television premiere on Northwest PBS affiliate KCTS 9 as part of the new  independent film series Reel NW on Thursday, Jan. 27 at 10PM.

In 1988, filmmaker Kevin Tomlinson filmed and interviewed a group of  "back-to-the-land hippies" living off-the-grid in rural Washington State, completely insulated from the fast-paced mainstream culture of the decade. Now in a poignant examination of this community over time, he tracks down those original interviewees and their grown-up hippie kids to reveal what the glories and  sufferings of living off-the-grid may truly entail.

Contains interviews with Michael Pilarski and footage of the Fairy & Human Relations Congress

Facebook

Michael Pilarski is on Facebook, and a new website is in the works!

Fan page: articles, videos, workshops, gatherings and herbs!

Michael Pilarski's personal page

Michael Pilarski
Friends of the Trees Society
PO Box 826
Tonasket, WA 98855
(509) 486-4056
michael at friendsofthetrees.net
www.friendsofthetrees.net
Use an explanatory subject line.
 For quicker results - write “Respond quickly” as part of the subject line.

Fairy & Human Relations Congress - Skalitude Retreat Center, POB 74 - Carlton - WA - 98114

Subscribe to this newsletter:
Change your preferences:
Forward to a friend:
http://www.mynewsletterbuilder.com/tools/forward.php?username=jkinsey&newsletter_id=1410680859&send_id=2474085257
https://www.mynewsletterbuilder.com/tools/abuse_report.php?username=jkinsey&send_id=2474085257&email=sdpg@arashi.com

This email was sent using MyNewsletterBuilder.com.